Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Re: SRT production halt

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 07:29 PM
FastestBusaAround
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 132 Posts

Good times ahead for a Viper purchase!!
Old 03-21-2014, 09:01 PM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 422 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Bodyguard
If I had to pick the three main reasons why I thought the Viper is not doing well in sales it would be: #1 price #2 no automatic offered #3 upcoming ZO6
and 4) It's still a Dodge
Old 03-21-2014, 09:38 PM
EdwardETraylorIII
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

No, actually, it isn't. It's an SRT.

and 4) It's still a Dodge
Old 03-21-2014, 11:13 PM
CDNZR
Drifting

Received 400 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by raj
While many reasons (price, marketing, Z06 competition) have been cited for the Viper's lack luster sales, I believe technology or the lack thereof is a major factor. Cars in the 6-figure price point have to showcase the latest technology and here the Viper comes short. Yes, there is a lot of performance for the money, but how well does it use technology to allow the driver to exploit that? Absence of a DCT or an equivalently sophisticated automatic is a negative, as is the absence of a state-of-the-art magneto-rheological suspension. Dedicated sports cars in this segment like the 911, GT-R also offer superb torque vectoring drivetrains and intuitive AWD systems, something that is not part of the Viper's DNA. One can rightfully argue the Viper is a pure sports car and these are not part of its mission statement, but that puts it into a very limited market that gets even more rarefied once you consider the near-exotic price point.

Ralph has defended the issue by stating that the Viper was intended to be a low-volume hand-built American supercar; of course, he is right - so SRT should simply deal with the resultant sales! As it sits, the car doesn't have enough sophistication to lure well-heeled buyers into its ranks beyond the faithful few for whom there will be no substitute.
My thought exactly... You need some new techno for buyers to get excited over... Ie. C7Z06 has the new race camera which most will not use but knowing you have it still make it unique and are not on any other production car..
Old 03-21-2014, 11:38 PM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 422 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by EdwardETraylorIII
No, actually, it isn't. It's an SRT.
Ok. Sold at Dodge dealerships
Old 03-21-2014, 11:58 PM
jsilvz
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ALLANB
Its their own fault. As said make a 500 hp or so viper price it like 80k tops.
Where is the vert? Should have been out already. Where is an auto option? Big reason I am not buying a Viper is no auto option like z06 or c7 have. And if they only have manual why no hill assist feature like Vette has, Challenger has, and pretty sure new mustangs have. Might consider a manual with hill assist.

But hoping Viper will stick around. I do want one someday. If they do what said above.
Hill assist? Learn how to drive a .......never mind
Old 03-22-2014, 12:28 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboJunky
yes they do

The original Viper was 50k or when the Vette was about 35k. Factor in some inflation and the Vette should be around 60k and the Viper closer to 80k

Reality is that the Corvette has held the line pretty good and continues to sell. The Viper is pricing themselves out of the market.

The V10 is great but where else does Fiat/Dodge/SRT use it? The Drag Pak uses it and a replacement motor is 40k!!!!!!!!

They need to scale this car back down to run with the Z06. And i think with GM putting a blower on the new C7 that probably has the SRT guys kicking themselves over not using the Hellcar or Hellfire (whatever that SC Hemi is called).

It sucks but forced induction is now a requirement if you want to win the HP wars
The V-10 has always turned me off! Thought about buying one but
the poor seating and cramped pedal arrangement and V-10 say no! I think they are in trouble! Not wishing bad on them but they held the V-10 too too long!
Old 03-22-2014, 12:34 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
The Z06 has nothing to do with it, how can it , does anyone know anything about it other than the name, look, and that the motor is called the LT4.

It's supercharged but does anyone know anything about it? , real hp #'s, weight etc....

SRT/Fiat, made the car to expensive pricing the viper WAY over its previous model, add ZERO marketing, zero tuning ability =FAIL.

How many vettes would sell at 150k? Just look at the previous ZR1, it came in at an average of 20-30k less, didn't sell very well.
That being said the Viper will always be classless below the mass produced vette, regardless of the slower performance.
Spoken from a True Viper Owner! 2013 Vipers 591 2013 ZR1 4XX
The Viper will maybe be gone soon while the Corvette carries on!

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 03-22-2014 at 12:50 AM.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:51 AM
C6nexttime
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the viper but aside from the price one problem with it is that its always been an in your face hardcore track/performance car. Its not something you would want to drive all the time. A friend of mine has 6 vipers including 2 2011 acr's and a new 2013 gts. After years of raging on him I was finally able to talk him into a corvette and he very reluctantly went a bought a nice used low miles 08 zo6. You know what all vipers do now? They sit most of the time. He loves that zo6, he's all aobut it now lol. Put a cam in it and made 560 to the tires. He drives the crap out it and is already on the list for a new 2015 zo6. Thats the awesome thing about a corvette. You can live it with it everyday.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:09 AM
FastestBusaAround
Drifting

Viper's are sexy, cool and they sport serious power but, it's not my favorite car to drive. They're crampy and tight. My 08's a Roadster, so when it's sunny out there, I'll take it out, but other than that, I usually drive something else.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:38 AM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 960 Likes on 572 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

Originally Posted by EdwardETraylorIII
Raj,

While what you say is true regarding it's lack of DCT and it's particular suspension technology - the truth of your post just about ends there. I'd gamble to say that you haven't driven an SRT Viper around the track?

It's got a LOT of sophistication! On par with the new Z06!
No it's not. Not even close. Magnetic shocks? Several downforce options? 8 speed auto? Carbon ceramic brakes? Shall I continue?
Old 03-22-2014, 12:02 PM
Al Pettee
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two 2014 Vipers are listed at my local dealers for $136K and $140K, that's alot of dough for a Dodge....

Vipers have always had the reputation for being death traps, simple yet effective machines for going fast, but unpredictable for people not used to their power, sort of like the original 911 (930) Turbo, but for a different reason.

I just view the latest Viper as being marketed into its own even smaller niche as it went more "upscale" with electronic traction control and a slightly Europeanized interior, but SRT appears to have priced it up to too small a customer demand.

My bet is those Vipers will be sitting unsold at my local dealers for a while....
Old 03-22-2014, 12:12 PM
Mdm23
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

I saw one at my dealer yesterday. It was a GTS and sticker price was $144k. That's ridiculous for that car IMO. They can continue to downplay the Viper sales issue if they like, but I think it's a failure. Gilles needs to stop being so stubborn and come up with a plan to sell some of these freaking things, starting with a price reduction.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:12 PM
Darth GF
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Darwin won.

You have to evolve or you die. Chevrolet made the Corvette better.

Dodge just keeps making the same car again and again. Why pay 140k$ for a new one when old ones (gen4) can be bought for a song?

I almost straight traded my 996TT for a gen4 Viper last fall. In the end, the Dodge is less practical, has poor visibility and not any faster. I kept my Porsche.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:14 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

I hate to see it happen so predictably but...Ralph should be gone...that's all I'm saying. Between his attacks on various reviews of the car, calling champion race car drivers cowards, making excuses...the car is a failure and the head guy needs to go...end of story.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:54 PM
harlold
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth GF
Darwin won.

You have to evolve or you die. Chevrolet made the Corvette better.

Dodge just keeps making the same car again and again. Why pay 140k$ for a new one when old ones (gen4) can be bought for a song?

I almost straight traded my 996TT for a gen4 Viper last fall. In the end, the Dodge is less practical, has poor visibility and not any faster. I kept my Porsche.
Thats like saying the Z06 will be $100k to buy.

You can find them for $90s now lightly optioned.

I hardly think it is fair to say the new Viper is $140k, when you have every optioned checked.

You can get into one for the $90s now, which all things considered isn't terrible. It just becomes how much money you want to spend in the end.

Every manufacture sends out fully optioned cars for testing, I am unsure why everyone dings SRT for it.

If the Viper came out with DCT next year, I'd sell my '13 and buy it. But, who knows if Ralph will do it. I think it needs it at this point - badly.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:15 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Snorman
Unfortunately, I don't think Viper is going to be around for SRT to release an ACR to compete with the Z06/Z07.
At this point, one has to wonder if 2015 production is in question internally at Fiat/SRT.
S.
I can't possibly see a 2016, I wouldn't even know how they could do it, with the high prices an ACR would sticker at almost 200k, at that price I would rather have a lambo, I could care less about performance .

Get notified of new replies

To Re: SRT production halt

Old 03-22-2014, 02:22 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Hemi Dave
They need to make a 60k Viper....put a 392 hemi in it....that would sell better than what they have now......

They listened to what the Viper Club owners wanted and got screwed by doing so......

Its not good for any of us if SRT doesn't get things right with it.........

I am glad GM did their own thing with the C7......
Putting a V8 in the viper would be like GM putting a v6 in the vette, I am a viper owner and a 5 time corvette owner, I can tell you , I would be po'd if the stuck a hemi in the viper, and would be just as mad if they stuck a v6 in the vette.
It's the heritage of these cars, I have an 87 GN, and hope GM doesn't release a new GN with a NA V8.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:25 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts

Sadly, the New Viper couldn't even match up with the Old ZR1. That stuff hurts!
Old 03-22-2014, 02:28 PM
FastestBusaAround
Drifting

Originally Posted by Al Pettee
Two 2014 Vipers are listed at my local dealers for $136K and $140K, that's alot of dough for a Dodge....

Vipers have always had the reputation for being death traps, simple yet effective machines for going fast, but unpredictable for people not used to their power, sort of like the original 911 (930) Turbo, but for a different reason.

I just view the latest Viper as being marketed into its own even smaller niche as it went more "upscale" with electronic traction control and a slightly Europeanized interior, but SRT appears to have priced it up to too small a customer demand.

My bet is those Vipers will be sitting unsold at my local dealers for a while....
At those prices, yup. They can be purchased for far less than that if one looks around. I would think the dealer would move pricing to where they would sell quickly, rather than sit on them. They can always buy more to have them sit on the floor. Stupid is as stupid does - and if they spend a fortune on the floor plan having them sit there unsold, because they're too greedy to do what they need to, they'll get exactly what they deserve in the end. There's no glory in having expensive unsold inventory on the floors.

Quick Reply: Re: SRT production halt