Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Drag Strip Shoot-Out

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 06:29 PM
vtknight
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKTA
And make sure to records the runs with the PDR please so they can be posted here.
Actually - I think this is critical.

Tony - if possible - please do have the C7 Z06 owners use the PDR as this will be the first real comparison versus professional timing equipment. It will help to see just how accurate the PDR's are.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:29 PM
FLATOUTVIPER
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyclone09Z06
Hopefully the C7Z owners know how to prepare the car for drag racing, the properly prepare cars will have the advantage, I do not know Tony but from his threads he knows what he is doing and his car will be properly prepared
Well everyone is mostly stock so I don't expect much gamesmanship.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:32 PM
Cyclone09Z06
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by FLATOUTVIPER
I agree, so as I said hopefully the C7 guys know what they are doing
Old 01-03-2015, 06:37 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 556 Likes on 359 Posts

I agree. It is "run what ya brung." We can nitpick this thing to death...and then the whiners will be out.

I can say with much certainty, that if I was racing, Tony would outdrive me. So does that mean my car wouldn't be _representative_ of what _most_ cars would actually do? No, it does not.

I'm sure guys will play with tire pressures, work on burnout technique, stage shallow, etc. With 3 C7Zs showing up, at least, we will get a good feel for what the car can do.

If a C7Z owner runs a 12.5 @ 130mph, then I couldn't care less that his ET was bad.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:41 PM
lawdogg149
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 37 Posts

Can some start a new thread tomm and keep the rest of us updated as it goes. That would indeed be awesome for us here in computer land. Simply use your phones to make post and take pics of time slips. Maybe also have the track workers put the car type instead of a number on the time slips. Also the PDR recording is a must.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:49 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by lawdogg149
Can some start a new thread tomm and keep the rest of us updated as it goes. That would indeed be awesome for us here in computer land. Simply use your phones to make post and take pics of time slips. Maybe also have the track workers put the car type instead of a number on the time slips. Also the PDR recording is a must.

Thank you for setting this up. I love that the most informative and productive guy in this Z06 section is a Viper owner.

I'm not sure if this is possible but I'd love to see passes of a stage 1 compared to a Z07 with aero on. Even better would be if they were done by the same driver.

Good luck!

Best,
Gene
Old 01-03-2015, 06:49 PM
Cyclone09Z06
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by WA 2 FST
I agree. It is "run what ya brung." We can nitpick this thing to death...and then the whiners will be out.

I can say with much certainty, that if I was racing, Tony would outdrive me. So does that mean my car wouldn't be _representative_ of what _most_ cars would actually do? No, it does not.

I'm sure guys will play with tire pressures, work on burnout technique, stage shallow, etc. With 3 C7Zs showing up, at least, we will get a good feel for what the car can do.

If a C7Z owner runs a 12.5 @ 130mph, then I couldn't care less that his ET was bad.
Don't forget to unbolt the front sway and/or leave it at home, don't forget to run it in touring mode so the shocks are at their softest setting, just saying be prepared and to be clear this is great, so looking forward to the video's
Old 01-03-2015, 06:54 PM
lawdogg149
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Don't forget to unbolt the front sway and/or leave it at home, don't forget to run it in touring mode so the shocks are at their softest setting, just saying be prepared and to be clear this is great, so looking forward to the video's
And run with less than 1/2 tank fuel as well.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:55 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

I would not expect the owner of a new C7Z to unbolt or remove the front sway bar to transfer weight a little better on OEM tires.

Certainly tour mode for the suspension... this is where all these new-fangled performance settings get me. There are so many stinking modes for different types of racing, so you do have to know what you're doing. It's crazy for guys who just want to get in their cars and go blast down the 1/4 mile or the highway a few times. Most of the gadgetry and nannies are completely unnecessary... now back to topic.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:58 PM
Jason 98 TA
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

We are taking a c715 a8 car with tsp headers and cold air.

Jason
Old 01-03-2015, 07:00 PM
Cyclone09Z06
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by WA 2 FST
I would not expect the owner of a new C7Z to unbolt or remove the front sway bar to transfer weight a little better on OEM tires.

Certainly tour mode for the suspension... this is where all these new-fangled performance settings get me. There are so many stinking modes for different types of racing, so you do have to know what you're doing. It's crazy for guys who just want to get in their cars and go blast down the 1/4 mile or the highway a few times. Most of the gadgetry and nannies are completely unnecessary... now back to topic.
If they want to win they will
Old 01-03-2015, 07:11 PM
dbs1vette
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I believe the whole idea is to see what a STOCK setup will do, not a tuned, modded, suspension tweaked race...duh.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:16 PM
lawdogg149
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by dbs1vette
I believe the whole idea is to see what a STOCK setup will do, not a tuned, modded, suspension tweaked race...duh.
Wasn't it smokey yunic that said "If you aint cheating you aint racing"

indeed I hope to see stock car and good drivers race.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:19 PM
NineBall
Safety Car

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

We do not want cheater mods. This is to compare stock results. We may even do more roll-on 60 mph hits, if time allows. That removes driver launch skill.

Trap speeds will tell all. ET is just a bonus, and driver dependent.

My level of prep is simply topping off the oil level, and dropping rear tire pressure. That is it. I will be driving an hour and a half to the track, to get the tires and trans warm.

Might bring some drag radials to slap on, after the stock tire runs.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:22 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by NineBall
We do not want cheater mods. This is to compare stock results. We may even do more roll-on 60 mph hits, if time allows. That removes driver launch skill.

My level of prep is simply topping off the oil level, and dropping rear tire pressure. That is it. I will be driving an hour and a half to the track, to get the tires and trans warm.

Thank you... I expected nothing else, given the objective results posted by you thus far.

As I said before... trap speed is what we are looking at. Shift points can have an effect, but once the drivers make a few passes, that will all work itself out.

Look forward to the results. Have fun and be safe.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:24 PM
Cyclone09Z06
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Very good, where I come from unbolting you front sway is not a cheater mod, just saying. A sneaky pete yes that would be. Thanks for putting it together looking forward to the results
Old 01-03-2015, 07:26 PM
NGS
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lawdogg149
And run with less than 1/2 tank fuel as well.

And don't forget to leave the passenger seat at home.

Get notified of new replies

To Drag Strip Shoot-Out

Old 01-03-2015, 07:34 PM
NineBall
Safety Car

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

BTW, on independent rear suspension cars, I've found it better to run the stiffest shock setting. Helps reduce wheel-hop. Some of you would have already lost, using the soft setting

I will be running the event. Might have everyone do their first 3 passes solo, to get a feel for the lanes and grip. I want their best driving effort, not worrying about the guy next to them. Once they get the launch down, we'll line them up for some win/loss stuff.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:41 PM
Cyclone09Z06
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

BTW, on independent rear suspension cars, I've found it better to run the stiffest shock setting. Helps reduce wheel-hop. Some of you would have already lost, using the soft setting

I will be running the event. Might have everyone do their first 3 passes solo, to get a feel for the lanes and grip. I want their best driving effort, not worrying about the guy next to them. Once they get the launch down, we'll line them up for some win/loss stuff.
I so wish I lived in Texas
Old 01-03-2015, 07:49 PM
Achmed
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

The effort to organize and willingness to share all info is really appreciated. That said, I wouldn't say it's a fair representation of the C7Z if no A8 is available. Looking forward to possibly being surprised but my prediction is the manual C7Zs will perform less than what most here hope for and it'll restart another clusterphukk of C7Z bashing.

Quick Reply: Drag Strip Shoot-Out