Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

MT : 2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 vs. 2015 Nissan GT-R Nismo Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 08:49 AM
Deathfly7
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PatatasFritas
I'm a huge fan of the new Z06 but this is an immense disappointment.
I still plan to buy one because I will rarely track it if ever but from an industry standpoint this is a big letdown. I doubt this will affect sales but it certainly hurts bragging rights.
It will hurt sales for sure. Remember when the viper lost to the zr1? At least they had very similar stats, this article shows its on pace with a gt3...
Old 02-02-2015, 08:51 AM
Mdm23
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

GM may need to do some fine tuning for the 2016 Z. Meanwhile, the GT-R continues to be badass.
Old 02-02-2015, 08:52 AM
KneeDragr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Deathfly7
The GTR didn't even use cup tires in the test? Wow
Exactly. Subtract 1 to 1.5 seconds if they used the tires the Vette had. Thats a pretty awesome car.

Anyone know what tires the McLaren had?
Old 02-02-2015, 08:55 AM
Deathfly7
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KneeDragr
Exactly. Subtract 1 to 1.5 seconds if they used the tires the Vette had. Thats a pretty awesome car.

Anyone know what tires the McLaren had?
PZero Corsa
Old 02-02-2015, 08:57 AM
KneeDragr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Deathfly7
PZero Corsa
So it left time on the track as well.

Wow, this is really disappointing for the Z06 to have such a brake and tire advantage and still lose out by a substantial margin.
Old 02-02-2015, 08:58 AM
EdwardETraylorIII
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

And the beatings continue. GM, you have disappointed SO many of us. Sigh.
Old 02-02-2015, 08:58 AM
GP1224
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts

http://www.motortrend.com/features/l...06_laguna_lap/ C6 Z06 at Laguna vs the Nismo that was 1:35.51

How can a C6 Z06 beat the Nismo when the C7 Z06 cant? Loss of power is the main issue and GM should figure this out. Its a brilliant car and all the numbers and feedback proves that but this whole loss of power when used to set lap times is BS to see in a car that is so good. Twice now Pobst has had this issue, the first time he had to pull over after 4 laps at RA. This time I think it said after 1 lap there was power loss? 1 lap?

The big eye opener is getting Pobst at Laguna with the C7 Z06 and see what happens there. Even more interesting would be MT to run the ZR1 vs the C7 Z06 with Data log and compare. I would like to see the LS9 data vs LT4 back to back on the same track, driver and day.

Last edited by GP1224; 02-02-2015 at 09:36 AM.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:03 AM
ATOMICV8
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a huge fan of the new Z06 but this is an immense disappointment.
I still plan to buy one because I will rarely track it if ever but from an industry standpoint this is a big letdown. I doubt this will affect sales but it certainly hurts bragging rights.
I'm with you on being disappointed in the performance claims. I too will probably never see the full potential of this car, but I don't base my buying a car on whether it is the fastest around a given track on a given day. If that was the case why not just buy the 918 and have it over with. My purchase was based on styling, value and performance in that order. Others may see it differently than I and that is OK. The GTR is a fast car for sure but it is butt ugly and not on my list as a car I have to have.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:06 AM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

"The super 'Vette needs 3.3 seconds to hit 60 mph from a stop and 11.4 seconds to run the quarter mile at a trap speed of 124.4 mph. Z06 fans will no doubt notice that's a tenth of a second slower on both counts and 1.8 mph slower than the first 2015 Z06 we tested (MT February 2015). The reason for the discrepancy, we believe, is aerodynamics. The first Z06 was outfitted with the Stage II aerodynamic kit, but this car features the Stage III kit, which adds a significantly taller rear wing and front splitter extensions. Although good for high-speed handling, the additional downforce also means additional drag."

Glad I ordered the A8!

Old 02-02-2015, 09:13 AM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

The gt3 is an amazing car that is greater than the sum of its parts. You know that when you race against them. If you want a 1 lap wonder, and it is truly one lap, and you can find a nismo, do it. I would also pointout that the gtr is such a computer that it reduces the need to be driven. Even Proest would benefit from additional time in the z vs stomping the gas in an awd supercomputer. Also, didn't Nissan get busted for bringing ringers to tracks?
I think the most amazing stat is running 10 seconds faster than 2004 c5.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:18 AM
KneeDragr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by crimlwC6
If you want a 1 lap wonder, and it is truly one lap, and you can find a nismo, do it.
I think you have that backwards. With the heat/timing issue, the Z06 is more of a 1-lap wonder. Also, AWD cars usually produce more consistent lap time since they are more forgiving with corner exits.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:19 AM
js59
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C7_Z06
I'm not changing any target.... I'm showing all of its competition out there. All the high performance cars and the whole world at this point. The Z06 competes with all, period. Never said it was unfair neither... just stated the facts from the data available. It's not just the Hp figures... it's everything else too (weight, aero, etc...) hence why a sub-500 hp GT3 is also a serious track star. Fastest or not, all this doesn't affect my likeness of the new Z06... to me it's still the best overall value currently available, performance wise and everthing else.
I agree that the Z06 is a great performance value - no question about that. However, I'm a big fan of the C7 and I was hopeful that we could - for the first time - say that this is a great car. Period. World-class performance (at least on the track) that would beat anything within a couple of hundred Ks in price. Now it seems like we are clinging to it maybe beting a Viper on the track?? It's a great car . . . for the money has been said about the vette for too long.

Let's be honest - none of us "waxers" need a 650hp street car - so bragging rights probalby weigh into the equation to some degree. I was really hoping this car would be tops in something (other than lateral Gs) - and it doesn't look like that is going to be the case.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:20 AM
PatatasFritas
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The NISMO GT-R is no standard GT-R. They are extremely rare, and as many have stated already, much more expensive.
I really wish the comparison had been done with the base GTR instead as it would hold far more value to most readers.

The major concern is this overheating issue, which has now been documented over and over. I didn't care at first but clearly it's a big problem, particularly given they sell this car as a track superstar. Again, I'll probably never track it but it bothers me to know the car can't handle a few rough runs....
Old 02-02-2015, 09:27 AM
KneeDragr
Melting Slicks

I really wish the comparison had been done with the base GTR instead as it would hold far more value to most readers.
IMO, best comparison would be vs GTR w/Carbon brakes, and cup tires.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:34 AM
DerStig
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is why I have always said more and bigger is not better. Typical American sports car mentality. Lets add more power, more down force, wider tires, bigger brakes and sell it. There is no true innovative engineering going on. Japanese guys created an outstanding engineering master piece. And look what that GT3 with its tiny 3.6 liter 475 hp engine can accomplish! And you guys hate me for saying this.

Detroit needs to do more than this. We need proper innovation. Proper transmission, drive terrain, proper aerodynamics. Look at all wheel turning in porsche, look at the traction and gearing in NISMO. Chevy is still the same car from last time with just more and bigger components and some make up (internal improvements, pdr, etc).
Old 02-02-2015, 09:37 AM
racerns
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts

Wow, very suprising to say the least. I was one who perdicted the the Z06 woud be faster than both the NISMO and 650s based on previous lap times. For a comparison, the last time the ZR1 was run at Big Willow was 2010 and it turned a 1:29.6 but this was on the PS2 tires, not the Cups 1s, and was not driven by Randy. The grip jump for the PS2s to the Cup 2s is light years.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:43 AM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

News flash GM, quit using roots superchargers.
That's the entire problem with the ZO6, is that dead tech supercharger.
It's still faster than a ZR1. But that's not good enough against the NISMO, assuming that Nissan didn't ship out a ringer. Which is entirely possible, considering the Stingray beat the Track Edition GTR around the streets of willow already.

Get notified of new replies

To MT : 2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 vs. 2015 Nissan GT-R Nismo Comparison

Old 02-02-2015, 09:44 AM
URBAN LEGEND
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by KneeDragr
IMO, best comparison would be vs GTR w/Carbon brakes, and cup tires.
Where do you get this version from?
Old 02-02-2015, 09:45 AM
racerns
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts

The NISMO GT-R is no standard GT-R. They are extremely rare, and as many have stated already, much more expensive.
While this is true this was just a "regular" NISMO, not the N Attack version that ran the 7:08 at the Ring. It was almost 2 sec slower than the ZR1 at Laguna Seca.

Last edited by racerns; 02-02-2015 at 09:47 AM.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:48 AM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by racerns
While this is true this was just a "regular" NISMO, not the N Attack version that ran the 7:08 at the Ring. It was almot 2 sec slower than the ZR1 at Laguna Seca.
The N Attack isn't even really a street car however, since it needs 100octane race gas.
Still it's a black eye for GM, in this case and a pretty bad one given how bad the beating was. I'd like to see a C7 ZO6 with a pair of turbos, run that again. But I don't think that'll happen before 2017.
Why can't GM stop using the single worst form of Boost available on the market already?
It's now official, you can say the ZO6 sucks racerns. It can't even beat a 9 year old car.

Quick Reply: MT : 2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 vs. 2015 Nissan GT-R Nismo Comparison