Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

MT : 2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 vs. 2015 Nissan GT-R Nismo Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 09:49 AM
dcher
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by KneeDragr
IMO, best comparison would be vs GTR w/Carbon brakes, and cup tires.
Let's be fair compare automatic to automatic. We just might out a different outcome. Why did They use the M7 knowing it's not the fastest version of the Z?
Old 02-02-2015, 09:50 AM
KneeDragr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DerStig
This is why I have always said more and bigger is not better. Typical American sports car mentality. Lets add more power, more down force, wider tires, bigger brakes and sell it. There is no true innovative engineering going on. Japanese guys created an outstanding engineering master piece. And look what that GT3 with its tiny 3.6 liter 475 hp engine can accomplish! And you guys hate me for saying this.

Detroit needs to do more than this. We need proper innovation. Proper transmission, drive terrain, proper aerodynamics. Look at all wheel turning in porsche, look at the traction and gearing in NISMO. Chevy is still the same car from last time with just more and bigger components and some make up (internal improvements, pdr, etc).
This +1.

But remember, this car was designed while GM was going through bankruptcy and getting bailed out by the Government.

If they dumped huge engineering resources into the Z06 instead of hybrid/ecodiesel/Volt type stuff its possible they would have faced backlash from our libtard administration.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:51 AM
KneeDragr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dcher
Let's be fair compare automatic to automatic. We just might out a different outcome. Why did They use the M7 knowing it's not the fastest version of the Z?
Ok thats fair as well. But I dont see the A8 solving the problems Randy said were holding the car back.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:51 AM
URBAN LEGEND
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by PatatasFritas
The NISMO GT-R is no standard GT-R. They are extremely rare, and as many have stated already, much more expensive.
I really wish the comparison had been done with the base GTR instead as it would hold far more value to most readers.
So compare it to a base Vette then? Top model to top model seems fair.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:53 AM
GP1224
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts

This is why I have always said more and bigger is not better. Typical American sports car mentality. Lets add more power, more down force, wider tires, bigger brakes and sell it. There is no true innovative engineering going on. Japanese guys created an outstanding engineering master piece. And look what that GT3 with its tiny 3.6 liter 475 hp engine can accomplish! And you guys hate me for saying this.

Detroit needs to do more than this. We need proper innovation. Proper transmission, drive terrain, proper aerodynamics. Look at all wheel turning in porsche, look at the traction and gearing in NISMO. Chevy is still the same car from last time with just more and bigger components and some make up (internal improvements, pdr, etc).

The Z06 track pack with its 7.0L was faster than almost anything out there around the track. The ZR1 was the same thing. At Laguna BOTH are faster than the Nismo.

GM also have a 3.6L with 455hp in the ATS-V that has more power than the M4/M3 - Its a choice not a need to use bigger engines.

The Z06 has a brilliant chassis, magnetic suspension that everyone is using now, electronic diff, full traction management as good as any and all the tech you need inside and out. Even the V8 is direct injection and VVT.

As for the GT3... ALL GT3 engines had to be replaced for 2014... and yes we can look at Porsche with AWD, but yet they still use RWD in the GT3 track car.

Big engine are everywhere in Europe. Lambo V12s, Ferrari V12s, Aston Martin, all use 6.0L+ V12s. The top gun engine for Mercedes is a twin turbo 5.5L V8 and the list goes on. 6.2L is not that big at all when you look around and see whats being used by many others at this performance level.

That being said I would like to see whats going on with this timing being pulled in the new Z06, but like many first year cars, the bugs have to be worked out.

Last edited by GP1224; 02-02-2015 at 10:05 AM.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:55 AM
racerns
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts

You know this how? I think some of you are fooling youself thinking the A8 is going to be the roadcourse savior. There is a reason that GM is using the M7 at the track or sending the M7 for comparisons.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:55 AM
URBAN LEGEND
Burning Brakes

Let me turn this table around. Why did Chevy provide a slower M7 model knowing the PR nightmare a magazine "non win" article would advertise to the world?
Old 02-02-2015, 09:56 AM
C7_Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

Well so far the Z06 shows its track strengths at highly technical courses. One example is it currently has the fastest VIR time (faster than the 918 and the Nismo): http://blog.caranddriver.com/watch-t...ional-raceway/

And M/T still has to do a Laguna Seca test with the Z06... and it will be in for a very tall and high challenge. Think it can outpace the top 5? Or at least slot in the top 10? The C7 Z51 Stingray ran a 1:38.28 at LS.

First Test: 2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
On Notice: Goodbye, ZR1 and Everybody Else
By Carlos Lago | Photos By Julia LaPalme | From the February 2015 issue of Motor Trend

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz3QbG3FAiT

Last edited by C7_Z06; 02-02-2015 at 09:59 AM.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:57 AM
KneeDragr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND
Let me turn this table around. Why did Chevy provide a slower M7 model knowing the PR nightmare a magazine "non win" article would advertise to the world?
Maybe they knew it was going to get beat by cars in its class and wanted to have this hypothetical 'answer' in the works? So its like they have an excuse already prepared if the car does not perform as well as they hoped.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:58 AM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by C7_Z06
Well so far the Z06 shows its track strengths at highly technical courses. One example is it currently has the fastest VIR time (faster than the 918 and the Nismo): http://blog.caranddriver.com/watch-t...ional-raceway/

And M/T still has to do a Laguna Seca test with the Z06... and it will be in for a very tall and high challenge. Think it can outpace the top 5? Or at least slot in the top 10?

Add 5 seconds to that time, for journalist drivers, and the repaving.
Mind that still makes it very quick...but not the fastest.
I doubt it'll do well at Laguna, not with Dead Tech (a roots super crapper, and a weeny one) under the hood.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:58 AM
PatatasFritas
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MavsAK
News flash GM, quit using roots superchargers.
That's the entire problem with the ZO6, is that dead tech supercharger.
It's still faster than a ZR1. But that's not good enough against the NISMO, assuming that Nissan didn't ship out a ringer. Which is entirely possible, considering the Stingray beat the Track Edition GTR around the streets of willow already.

I didn't know the Z51 had beaten the GTR. That's just as shocking. What the hell is going on haha?
Old 02-02-2015, 09:59 AM
KneeDragr
Melting Slicks

Well thats streets is practically an autocross circuit.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:00 AM
DerStig
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GP1224
The Z06 track pack its its 7.0L was faster than almost anything out there around the track. The ZR1 was the same thing. At Laguna BOTH are faster than the Nismo.

GM also have a 3.6L with 455hp in the ATS-V that has more power than the M4/M3 - Its a choice not a need to use bigger engines.

The Z06 has a brilliant chassis, magnetic suspension that everyone is using now, electronic diff, full traction management as good as any and all the tech you need inside and out. Even the V8 is direct injection and VVT.

As for the GT3... ALL GT3 engines had to be replaced for 2014... and yes we can look at Porsche with AWD, but yet they still use RWD in the GT3 track car.

That being said I would like to see whats going on with this timing being pulled.
I never said AWD. I said all wheel turning. Thats super cool technology. Or the PDK gear box.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:04 AM
C7_Z06
Melting Slicks

Add 5 seconds to that time, for journalist drivers, and the repaving.
Mind that still makes it very quick...but not the fastest.
I doubt it'll do well at Laguna, not with Dead Tech (a roots super crapper, and a weeny one) under the hood.
Ok, play the hypothetical game... add 5 secs to the 2:41... thus 2:46... heck round it off to the next highest, so it's at 2:47.xx now.... ranks 2nd right behind the 918 now. But I guess this is still a big fail for the walking dead Z06. It also won't do well at LS based on your hypothesis... probably rank 22nd or 122nd at this point right? Okay, thanks for the insight....
Old 02-02-2015, 10:04 AM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

I never said AWD. I said all wheel turning. Thats super cool technology. Or the PDK gear box.
All wheel steering really isn't that great.
GMC had it on their trucks for a little while as an option within the last 5 to 10 years. They had reliability problems with it, and it was ludicrously expensive. Mind this is an application where it's towing thousands of pounds way past the rear axles, or carrying over 1k in the bed, but the problem was still there.

Honda had it on a few cars in the 90s (The prelude SI comes to mind there), they too canned it, for the same issues. Reliability and expense.

Nissan also did it in the 90s, and that was a huge can of worms for the 300ZX TT. I had a buddy that was factory sponsored in autox. Eventually after the team got sick of it breaking all the time, they put the standard rear end in the Z car. To use his words "it's great...when you aren't stuck sitting by the trailer".

I don't know of Porsche knocked out the kinks or not, but AWS isn't exactly a new thing, and it's been a problem child, historically speaking for everyone that's tried it.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:07 AM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by C7_Z06
Ok, play the hypothetical game... add 5 secs to the 2:41... thus 2:46... heck round it off to the next highest, so it's at 2:47.xx now.... ranks 2nd right behind the 918 now. But I guess this is still a big fail for the walking dead Z06. It also won't do well at LS based on your hypothesis... probably rank 22nd or 122nd at this point right? Okay, thanks for the insight....
And then we have the nearly 2 full second *** beating the Z got in this article to off set that amazing 2:46.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:07 AM
Deathfly7
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

IDK if Obama can bail them out of this one.

Get notified of new replies

To MT : 2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 vs. 2015 Nissan GT-R Nismo Comparison

Old 02-02-2015, 10:09 AM
dcher
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND
Perhaps GM designed this with an excuse in mind, by using the M7. I prefer Apples to Apples. I think you will see the A8 will make it a closer race. This is simply based on the published numbers between the two. The A8 is simply the faster of the two cars. Will it be fast enough to make up the difference, doubt it, but it will likely close the gap somewhat.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:12 AM
URBAN LEGEND
Burning Brakes

I think you will see the A8 will make it a closer race. This is simply based on the published numbers between the two. The A8 is simply the faster of the two cars. Will it be fast enough to make up the difference, doubt it, but it will likely close the gap somewhat.
I think so too. Too late now though.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:13 AM
C7_Z06
Melting Slicks

And then we have the nearly 2 full second *** beating the Z got in this article to off set that amazing 2:46.
I hear you... nothing is beating refuted. Does well here, does subpar there... gets high scores here, gets low marks there... finishes 1st here, finishes in the nth place there. At the end of the day, categorizing it as a big fail is fickle or narrow-minded but that's my opinion. Although I think even Nineball stated the same in his roll race compilation. Overall it's still the best overall value out there, with the C7 Stingray also ranking at or near the top. Good discussion though in the thread, just weed out the nitwit comments...

Quick Reply: MT : 2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 vs. 2015 Nissan GT-R Nismo Comparison