Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Laguna Seca record

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 07:30 PM
truth.b
Drifting

Received 119 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Can you post the Viper's gearing, transmission and differential, (especially the ACR if it is different than the base Viper), and then post the C7 Z06's gearing(transmission and differential).

Also post the circumference of the rear tires of each car, as they contribute to "effective" gearing.
On paper, both cars are basically the same, but its the small differences that give each their respective character. And weight, gearing and lower engine redline is no wonder the Viper can edge out Z06 on the top end.

In my opinion a C7 Z06 with as aggressive aero and an equal driver would be within and 1 second of the ACR. That is if the heat management issue get resolved.

** UPDATED **

Numbers Taken from:
Link: Drivesrt.com - Viper Tech Spec
Link: GM Powertrain.com - Powertrain Products

Gearing:

Tires:

Engine Power:

Last edited by truth.b; 11-06-2015 at 06:13 PM.
Old 11-04-2015, 07:37 PM
truth.b
Drifting

Received 119 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by NineBall
Let the "not a street car" excuses begin, and get squashed. Two of my friends drove to SEMA (Las Vegas) from Detroit, in an ACR extreme. They made it without any issue, only scraped the splitter once. And, they drove about 4 hours in a storm. The rain mode active handling worked excellent.

http://oppositelock.kinja.com/i-have...ile-1739469956

He will write up a full article when they return to Detroit next week.

Navigation
A/C
Airbags and full safety equipment
Cruise control
Rain mode handling setting
Stereo
Bluetooth phone connectivity
91 octane capability
Overdrive transmission
Two cup holders
iPod USB port
Rear view camera

You know, all those essential race car parts.

Nineball I enjoy your pictures and contributions to the automotive community but this the above statement is a bit of a reach. Can someone drive an ACR across country ... "yes" its a street car. But it will not be as comfortable and user friendly as the Z06.

My opinion:
  • Viper ACR (American Club Racer) -- race car masquerading as a street car.
  • Vette Z06 -- street car masquerading as a track car.

** Yes I meant to compare the Vette to a track and not a race car, for me there is a difference. **

Old 11-04-2015, 08:02 PM
lawdogg149
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 37 Posts

Please note also. The car tested was a interior stripped out car. Also the car tested was a extreme aero car. So one would have to put out around $135,000 at minimum to purchase the same type car tested. I know because I am tried to purchase today. The max aero cars are not available yet.

I really would like to know why the test car was a gutted car seen in all the videos. I also hope that the stock car did not have a roll cage installed. This would disqualify if from being a stock car. Anyone that doesn't think the car was stripped of its factory interior needs to look again. Im trying to purchase one for my collection but would love to see some independent testing done against these times posted. 1:26 at Road Atlanta is just crazy.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:07 PM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

impressive to say the least!
need one of these ASAP
Old 11-04-2015, 08:27 PM
Viper_Vette
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lawdogg149
Please note also. The car tested was a interior stripped out car. Also the car tested was a extreme aero car. So one would have to put out around $135,000 at minimum to purchase the same type car tested. I know because I am tried to purchase today. The max aero cars are not available yet.

I really would like to know why the test car was a gutted car seen in all the videos. I also hope that the stock car did not have a roll cage installed. This would disqualify if from being a stock car. Anyone that doesn't think the car was stripped of its factory interior needs to look again. Im trying to purchase one for my collection but would love to see some independent testing done against these times posted. 1:26 at Road Atlanta is just crazy.
The car wasn't gutted out. You can see all the interior panels like the way it is when you buy the Extreme ACR. This is the interior on the Extreme.

Old 11-04-2015, 08:34 PM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

they're called "extreme aero", and they are available
Old 11-04-2015, 08:36 PM
lawdogg149
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Viper_Vette
The car wasn't gutted out. You can see all the interior panels like the way it is when you buy the Extreme ACR. This is the interior on the Extreme.
You should go back and watch the videos of the actual track run's. Yes the car was gutted of all the head liner interior pieces which you can see in the video's. Yes Im also aware all manufacture's use race seats but the video's of the laps don't lie. You can clearly see that its not the interior you have posted. Also looks as if there was a cage installed in the car but that could be just the frame work underneath the plastic pieces that were removed from the test car. Surely dodge wouldn't of gutted the interior of their test car. I have a Gen V viper and will be purchasing a ACR extreme aero car real soon. Just make sure all the facts are indeed facts.

Name:  image-2018518521.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  526.1 KB

Last edited by lawdogg149; 11-04-2015 at 08:44 PM.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:37 PM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
they're called "extreme aero", and they are available
Boba, when is your ETA?
Old 11-04-2015, 09:02 PM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 05dsom
Boba, when is your ETA?
they haven't given me one yet - Im still in D1 status

hey what county are u in?
Old 11-04-2015, 10:19 PM
1.8t
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Watching any video, you can clearly see the headliner and A-pillar plastics are removed. However, the door panel and transmission paneling are still in place. It makes me wonder if they removed the headliner to allow better clearance for a helmet. In my TA with a helmet on, I hit the headliner. Using words like "gutted" just seems like you are trying to stir the pot.

Last edited by 1.8t; 11-04-2015 at 11:52 PM.
Old 11-04-2015, 10:19 PM
n_coming
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by truth.b
On paper, both cars are basically the same, but its the small differences that give each their respective character. And weight, gearing and lower engine redline is no wonder the Viper can edge out Z06 on the top end.

In my opinion a C7 Z06 with as aggressive aero and an equal driver would be within and 1 second of the ACR. That is if the heat management issue get resolved.

Numbers Taken from:
Link: Viper Tech Spec

Link: Corvette z06 Tech Specs

Engine Power:

Gearing:

Tires:
I think the z06 with equal aero and driver would at least tie the acr. Why do you think it would not? It's got a bit more power and the magnetic ride.
Old 11-04-2015, 11:03 PM
ACRucrazy
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Removing the headliner for helmet clearance is common in the Viper with the stock seat. I have considered it on mine, I started with 1" lowering brackets for the seats.
Old 11-04-2015, 11:03 PM
Reciprocal
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Hubris of the defeated.
Old 11-04-2015, 11:17 PM
Snake Plissken
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Utter annihilation. Be interesting as more get in private hands as there are privateers that can give some of the pros a run for their money

I bet Randy spooged driving it lol

Last edited by Snake Plissken; 11-04-2015 at 11:18 PM.
Old 11-04-2015, 11:43 PM
Flyboy22
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

The great thing about the new ACR is it is probably totally making Ford crap their pants about their new GT... (Their exact words on track performance were... "Bring it.")

The GT will have a HELL of a time beating that ACR, simply due to lack of massive brute force down-force. If a special track version is released in subsequent model years, we will probably see ACR records fall, but until then I don't think there's any way a slick GT is going to get there. Same is true with a Zora.

I admire Dodge for having the ***** to make this car... it's not like Ferrari couldn't strap giant wings to their cars and make them faster around a track, but they simply don't because looks matter too much. Dodge simply said we don't care, here's the best we can do. That's awesome.
Old 11-05-2015, 12:29 AM
JDMUSCLE
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 64 Posts

gutted.. Lol. Seems like there is a new meaning for gutted.. He removed the a pillar plastic.. Car is gutted!!! Lol

Guys please be realistic.. That car wasn't gutted. Stop claiming things you have half knowledge to no knowledge just like some people claim Z06s have overheating issues even without owning one.
Old 11-05-2015, 03:44 AM
NineBall
Safety Car

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

You should go back and watch the videos of the actual track run's. Yes the car was gutted of all the head liner interior pieces which you can see in the video's. Yes Im also aware all manufacture's use race seats but the video's of the laps don't lie. You can clearly see that its not the interior you have posted. Also looks as if there was a cage installed in the car but that could be just the frame work underneath the plastic pieces that were removed from the test car. Surely dodge wouldn't of gutted the interior of their test car. I have a Gen V viper and will be purchasing a ACR extreme aero car real soon. Just make sure all the facts are indeed facts.

Attachment 47928401
The car is here at SEMA. It has a steel rollbar installed, for safety. That required lower sitting Sparco seats. And, they run the harness, instead of seat belts. The interior is not gutted, that 3 lb headliner was removed for helmet And rollbar clearance. I asked a tech, he said this car actually weighs more than stock, due to safety items installed.

Stock suspension, stock tune, stock tires, everything else stock. SCCA officials even inspected it, and certified the records.

Get notified of new replies

To Laguna Seca record

Old 11-05-2015, 07:01 AM
GP1224
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts

Attachment 47928401

So they ripped out the headliner and ripped out the seats? why not test the car stock as you buy it?

Last edited by GP1224; 11-05-2015 at 07:16 AM.
Old 11-05-2015, 07:15 AM
GP1224
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by n_coming
I think the z06 with equal aero and driver would at least tie the acr. Why do you think it would not? It's got a bit more power and the magnetic ride.
Well when you look at the times by Mero vs SRT ACR test driver there isnt much at VIR even with Z06 in its current trim plus Mero missed 3rd gear in that run and said a 2:40 could have been done.

No doubt the ACR is the faster track car and just truly awsome but wouldnt it be something for GM to send Mero out to all the same tracks and see what he could do.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:12 AM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^somehow I knew it would be ur silly azz to jump on those posts...

Last edited by Boba Fett; 11-05-2015 at 08:13 AM.

Quick Reply: Laguna Seca record