Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

ACR tears the tracks up!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 07:16 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by kverges
The ZR1 was introduced in 1990, with what was at the time a pretty heady 48V high rpm OHC engine producing 375 hp - quite a lot in 1990.

In 1992, the Viper one-upped it with 400 hp.

In 1993, the ZR-1's LT5 was bumped to 405 hp.

Coincidence? I don't think so. The Viper and High End Corvettes are clearly competitors, although not "replacements," as the early Vipers were silly toys without outside door handles or even roll-up windows.

As for price, the ZR-1 was about $60K and the 1992 Viper about $55K. Both started out trading over sticker and both sell used today for similar prices in the $30K range.

Even volume is somewhat similar, as I think there were about 6000 or so 1990-95 ZR-1s, on par with production of Vipers over the same time period.
The 1992 Viper wasn't trying to one up anyone, it didn't have a/c, or even a top or Windows!!! , the vette already was as loaded as a top cadalilac, had traction control, 3 mode electronic suspension etc.....

The Viper was indeed intended to be the modern day Shelby cobra(which didn't have a top either , Shelby himself was originally involved with it.... Cobra..... Viper..... Hmmmmm doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

The hp rating had zero to do with corvette, and had all to do with just making a ton of HP and TQ , if anything the 1993 tried to one up Viper with the HP jump, dodge didn't care and didn't upgrade power until 1996 when the GTS coupe was released, why? Because it was never supposed to compete with the vette, it kicked it's azz for a decade in performance.

I believe it is still the reason the brand loyalists still claim to hate viper, and if you look at present day, although corvette finally caught up performance wise(GM can thank Bob lutz for leaving Viper to come to corvette)you still won't see corvettes best in any track time ahead of Viper.

You also can't compare how many C4 Zr1's made to Vipers made, as the ZR1 was still a C4, corvette is and has been a mass produced car, that share parts/ motors etc.... with other GM products, the LT5 engine was an exception because it wasn't a GM motor(was and still is the best motor ever put in a modern day corvette), the reason why GM killed it, because it was to cost effective.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:22 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by AlloyGT
I ditto this as well. Except the whole world is going fat and lazy vs just the NA. That's why, apart from Porsche, all other marques make porky luxo sports cars. It is amazing that a 3500-3700lb car is considered "light" these days...And I just can't forget - nor forgive - for what they've done to the Z06.
Yeah, now that there are Mcdonalds in 120 countries it makes sense. Most of the countries adopting Murica's culture and the result is fatness, though still not as much as here. Most of the porko luxury cars are a result of the US being near or at the top of their market consumption. Add in a bunch of regulations and the cars have had to get fatter. Notice how many special edition cars we never got here (2000's RS4, R32, R33, 996 GT3 RS etc etc etc) there is even a ford focus RS we didn't even get here. Lawsuits and fat lazies.

Quick Reply: ACR tears the tracks up!!