Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Eddie FourFather Hill's personal Ariel Atom II with brand new engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 05:00 PM
FourFather
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 16 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22

Default Eddie FourFather Hill's personal Ariel Atom II with brand new engine

For Sale - Eddie FourFather Hill's personal Ariel Atom II with 8,400 miles on the car, but I just installed a brand new Chevy LSJ crate engine for the sale - $68,980. The Atom will come with all the street equipment AND all the racing equipment.

The sale also includes the 2.2 liter LSJ engine with all forged internals and Harrop supercharger. This spare race engine is now out of the car needing repair of a blown head gasket. I now know the cause, and the cure, of this issue.

Lots of race wheels and tires included. Carbon fiber wings, hood, air box, snorkel, fenders.

These pictures show the car as it is now, with race wheels and tires, and no fenders.

There is literally too much included in this sale to try to list it all here, but if you have an interest at my price of $68,980, PM me or contact me at www.eddiehillsfuncycles.com and I will be glad to answer all your questions about the car with the extra engine, sets of wheels and tires, and parts.

This thread here " Eddie FourFather Hill Ariel Atom II Ecotec LSJ Performance Upgrade" in off topic, other cars, gives some info about the race engine I built for this car. This complete engine is included with the sale of the car, but it does need a head gasket repair.

Check out this article about this car I have for sale, and the race engine I built for it.
http://www.chevyhardcore.com/feature...-0-ecotec-lsj/

Jay Leno took #1, and I took #72 out of the first batch of Ariels, all Chevy-powered at that time. Ariel no longer offers Chevy engines - they are all Honda now, and as a dealer I need to be driving and racing what we currently have for sale. And I have two Honda powered Atoms of my own, one Eaton supercharged, and one turbocharged, so that is why I am selling my Chevy-powered Atom.

Thanks for looking,

Eddie FourFather Hill

Last edited by FourFather; 03-30-2017 at 12:43 PM.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:17 PM
FourFather
Drifting

Here is the race engine I built for this car that is now for sale. I put a new GM crate engine Ecotec LSJ in the car for the sale, and the race engine shown here also goes with the sale, but the race engine needs repair of a blown head gasket.

Thanks for looking.

Eddie FourFather Hill
Old 03-02-2017, 01:53 PM
FourFather
Drifting

My Ariel Atom for sale was used as the poster car for AtomFest.

It is a very nice Atom, completely sorted, with a brand new engine in the car, lots of wheels and tires for track and street, and a very high horsepower modified engine (that does need repair of a blown head gasket) all included in the sale.

Cheers,

Eddie FourFather Hill
Old 03-04-2017, 01:06 PM
FourFather
Drifting

My FOR SALE Ariel Atom giving me good gee on track. This could be you-

Cheers,

Eddie FourFather Hill
Old 03-05-2017, 09:03 AM
FourFather
Drifting

Before I realized how much more fun it is to run these Ariels on the track, I toured the two lane roads around north Texas. All the street equipment is included in the sale of this car, and I'll set it up for street or track, buyer preference. All the street equipment, and all the track equipment are included in the sale, including the race engine I built.

Cheers,

Eddie fourFather Hill
Old 03-05-2017, 05:47 PM
FourFather
Drifting

For the race engine, that is included with the sale,(in addition to the new Chevy crate complete engine that is now in the car) I personally hand-finished the ports after the CNC porting was done. Huge airflow gains when combined with the oversize Supertech titanium intake valves and the oversize Supertech inconel exhaust valves I use.

Thanks for looking,

Eddie FourFather Hill
Old 03-07-2017, 06:02 PM
FourFather
Drifting

My Chevy powered Ariel Atom that is now for sale, shown here at the first AtomFest meet at Hallett Motor Raceway, near Tulsa Oklahoma. Had a great time there!

Eddie fourFather Hill
Old 03-09-2017, 07:08 PM
FourFather
Drifting

The roll bar goes with the sale. It is an easy on, easy off bolt-on.

Cheers,

Eddie fourFather Hill
Old 03-10-2017, 10:28 AM
FourFather
Drifting

The configuration shown in those two pictures with the roll bar is how I received the car and before I put the first mile on it. If a buyer wants it that way I will be happy to set it up that way, and all the track/race wheels and tires, and the 2.2 liter Ecotec race engine that I built, all go with the sale. All in addition to the brand new Chevy Ecotec crate engine that is in the car now. Best of both worlds.

Cheers,

Eddie FourFather Hill
Old 03-15-2017, 05:13 PM
FourFather
Drifting

Here are some shots "under the hood" to show the car as I am offering it for sale, with the new engine that is in the car now.

This is a good view of the Masterlube/pre-oiler that ensures the engine never loses oil pressure on the track, and pre-oils the engine everytime you turn the key on. So you have good oil pressure before the engine even starts. All automatic- cool deal.

Stainless steel aftermarket headers that have been Jet-Hot ceramic coated for long life and good appearance.

Showing the K&N style air filter that you just wash and re-oil. You can see the condition of the filter through the air intake in the roll hoop, don't have to remove anything to see if it is still clean. There are THREE Flowmaster mufflers included in this sale. One is a bit louder than stock, but it does not disintegrate the way the original factory muffler does quickly. The one shown here is Jet-Hot ceramic coated and is the loudest of the three, and it is my pick for track or street, not really too loud unless you are heavy into the throttle. The third Flowmaster is in between the other two for noise level, and it is coated. So you have three choices of exhaust loudness.

This shows the filtered breather/oil separator tank, that has a drain in the bottom. This works very well, and it hardly ever has more than a spoonful or so of oil to drain off.

Cheers,

Eddie FourFather Hill

Last edited by FourFather; 03-15-2017 at 09:43 PM.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:18 AM
FourFather
Drifting

Left rear suspension detail of my for sale Atom-

Cheers,

Eddie fourFather Hill
Old 03-19-2017, 08:26 PM
ElCid79
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 105 Posts

What HP and torque numbers are you producing with the old and new motor?
Old 03-20-2017, 11:26 AM
FourFather
Drifting

There is a brand new Chevy LSJ crate complete engine in the car now, with this setup and tune.

As you can see here, it has a bit over 250 HP at the tires, which should be a bit over 300 flywheel, and it makes this ~1350 pound car accelerate better than just about anything you can buy, regardless of price. It is about 2000 pounds lighter than a Corvette, for instance.

The race engine that I built has not yet been run on a dyno, but the way it pulls the car has to be experienced to be believed. It really does make a nice streetable substitute for my top fuel dragster, especially since I can take my bride with me!

When I walk into the Dairy Queen with my carbon fiber helmet in one hand and the steering wheel in the other, folks look at me like a rock star.

Cheers,

Eddie FourFather Hill
Old 03-24-2017, 02:24 PM
FourFather
Drifting

EQUIPMENT LIST FOR CHEVY POWERED ARIEL ATOM #72 NOW FOR SALE

1. Brand new GM Ecotec 2.0 liter LSJ factory supercharged engine with no track or street miles except for a few miles testing and verifying everything for correct operation, after I installed the new engine.
A. Equipped with Masterlube accumulator/preoiler that ensures you have good oil pressure before the engine even starts, and also never loses pressure on track, regardless of gee loading, and it is all automatic.
B. Also equipped with a filtered engine breather/oil separator tank that lets the engine breathe without losing oil.
C. It has the interchangeable supercharger pulley system from Intense Racing, now an easy bolt-on pulley change.
D. I have installed a surge tank and 22 psi pressure cap in the intercooler system to replace the stock sight glass.
E. Have replaced the stock steel (inadequate) aftercooler radiator with a nice, larger aluminum radiator with two automatic electric fans and a see-through filler neck, so you can see when the fluid is circulating, to verify pump operation. You can easily bleed air from the front of the system with this removable cap.
F. The original equipment aftercooler circulation pump (wired backwards and inoperative as received from the factory) has been replaced with a much larger and more efficient water pump, which really helps bring aftercooler temps down.
G. The original thermostat housing had an unsightly black rubber hose looped around for a heater bypass. I modified the housing for an internal bypass and replaced the ugly hose with a polished aluminum plug which looks much better.
H. I modified the thermostat slightly to keep the engine a little cooler during heavy track use. It takes a bit longer to get up to normal temp, but that is not a problem.

2. Hytech Stainless steel custom exhaust system, Jet-Hot ceramic coated for long life and beautiful appearance.
3. Three custom made mufflers by FlowMaster. One is just a bit louder than original equipment, One race muffler is loud at full throttle, and the other race muffler is in between the other two for sound level. Both race mufflers are Jet-Hot ceramic coated and look great.
4. Wilwood brakes with Hawk Blue race pads, that also work well on the street. They don’t have to be hot to work well.
5. Koni Aluminum 2-way adjustable Dampers, with the optional 2-piece springs that give a comfortable supple ride on the street, but limit limit lean, dive, and squat under track conditions. Best of both worlds with this setup, ask for a demo.
6. Aluminum quick steering rack
7. Carbon fiber bonnet (hood)
8. Carbon fiber air scoop and carbon fiber housing (center roll hoop fairing)
9. Carbon fiber fenders
10. SPA carbon fiber race mirrors
11. Quick release steering wheel Take it with you when you leave the car- theft deterrent
12 Master electrical power shutoff with removable key Disable all electrics and take the key with you.
13 Immobiliser The car won’t run unless you have the “key fob” with you and in the right place.
14 Roll protection bar (that is in addition to the center roll hoop/ram air intake in the center of the car) It is easy to bolt on or remove.
15 Brake bias adjuster **** in the cockpit, so you can change the front to rear braking force while racing, by just turning the ****.
16 Lexan side panel kit. These have never been installed and are still in the factory protective wrap.
17 Towing eye kit for front and rear. These are not installed and have never been used, but I’ll be happy to install them if desired by the buyer.
18. FIA high intensity rain tail light. Very bright and impossible to ignore. Has its own switch.
19. “Road race lighting kit “, Ariel calls it, and consists of headlights with high and low beams, marker or running lights, tail and brake lights, turn signals, dash lights, and hazard flashers.
20. 3” Competition 6 point belts for driver and passenger.
21. 3” Competition seat belt pads. With the gee this car pulls, you need these on track.
22. Individual seating package with comfy upholstered seats that you can adjust fore and aft by lifting the adjuster handle under the front of the seats.
23. Passenger footrest. If you take a passenger on track, they really need this for their comfort.
24. Driver dead pedal
25. Billet aluminum accelerator pedal
26. Locking fuel cap
27. 12 volt power source receptacle under the dash
28. Carbon fiber wings, front and rear, from Ariel factory

RACE ENGINE:
In addition to everything listed here, I am including the race engine that I personally built for this car. I took the original equipment engine and had a machine shop install Darton MIDI sleeves. This is for reliability and so I could safely increase the displacement from 2.0 liters to 2.2 liters. The engine is equipped with Diamond Forged pistons, Carrillo forged steel rods, Total Seal piston rings (like I used in all my top fuel engines), Supertech titanium oversized intake valves, and inconel oversized exhaust valves with good racing springs and titanium retainers. For a higher RPM, GM instructs to remove the balance shafts, which I did. I discussed with Comp Cams the road racing requirement I had for this, and they furnished a pair of camshafts that work extremely well. I installed these cams with the (expensive) adjustable cam gears available from GM, and was able to achieve precisely the cam timing I wanted. I installed an aluminum flywheel and 350 HP rated clutch from Center Force, and the reduced rotational weight let the engine rev quicker, noticeably so. The stock Eaton supercharger was replaced by a much larger and more efficient Harrop, which not only moves a lot more air per revolution, but does not heat up the compressed air nearly as much as the original Eaton (Heaton we called it) did. I have not dyno’d this engine yet, but the 350 HP rated clutch suddenly quit holding while I was at full throttle on track in fourth gear, and the engine over-revved horribly at 11,018 RPM. The bad news is we had to pull the clutch out of the car and double the plate load by installing an additional diaphragm. The good news is that the clutch is easily capable of solid engagement, even on a full throttle second gear start. The really good news is that the engine survived the 11,018 RPM overspeed completely intact with no damage whatsoever. While I was testing this race engine in the car, I printed out a couple of data logs - one when the car was just beginning to accelerate at 1 MPH, and another at 101 MPH with the time in between being 6.52 seconds. I was really tickled with this because if you look at the rear wheel speed printout and the throttle opening printout, you can see that it spun the tires and was way less than full throttle for over two seconds until the tires finally quit spinning and hooked up. Cold, dusty track, and cold tires, way less than ideal conditions, but still amazing acceleration times!

Tuning: The stock engine and the race engine are tuned with the HP Tuners tuning computer/data logger, and that equipment is included in the sale, along with all my tuning notes, charts, and printouts. Besides being able to tune the engine exactly the way you want to and as many times as you want to, the data logs you can print out are more useful and more real world data than running the car stationary on a dyno. You see exactly what it is doing all the way around the track with a load that the car actually sees when you’re racing it, not the artificial load of spinning dyno wheels.

Unfortunately, the engine torched a head gasket and damaged the cylinder head. The Darton cylinder sleeves were sent directly from the manufacturer to the out of state machine shop that did the sleeve installation for me. Somehow the instructions for the sleeves to be installed .007-.008 taller than the block did not get followed. The block was returned here without the instructions and with the sleeves installed flush with the top of the block. The instructions I was following here from GM said with a multi-layer steel gasket, which I used, it did not require the sleeves to be taller than the block, and I did not receive or see the Darton instructions. So the cylinder head needs to be repaired or replaced. It has a beautiful CNC porting job, and the flow charts showed massive improvement over stock. If the buyer decides to replace rather than repair the cylinder head, a CNC machine can use these ports for the pattern.

WHEELS/TIRES:

1. Excellent set of four Dymag wheels. These are real magnesium wheels that were offered by Ariel for a while for about $3,500 for the four wheels. Excellent wheels that are the right size to use the race tires that are made for the (similar weight) Radical race cars, and I have a set of those Hoosier race tires mounted and balanced (about $1,300) on these wheels, but not yet used. These highly desirable wheels are no longer available, so this tire/wheel combo is a valuable component of this sale package.
2. Team Dynamics silver painted aluminum wheels, set of four, that are the original equipment wheels supplied on this car. These carry a set of Hoosier autocross tires. The fronts are P205/50/ZR15 that are scuffed in, but there is no wear yet. The mold marks in the center of the tires is still visible. The rears are P245/45/ZR16 with about 90% of tread remaining.
3. Keizer three piece polished aluminum rear wheels 14” wide, 15” diameter. There are two of these with Hoosier 23.5x13.0R15 tires, and one unused wheel that has never had a tire on it.
4. The wheels currently on the car are Keizer three-piece aluminum 8” wide fronts 15” diameter. The rears are 10” wide 15” diameter. I have Hoosier autocross tires mounted on them that I prefer for track and street use. This set of four tires is scuffed in, but no wear yet. The mold mark in the center of the front tires is still visible.
5. A set of four, new, Ariel factory-supplied black painted aluminum wheels that have a set of four new Hoosier treaded tires, marked H2.O. These are what the Ariel factory furnishes for the SRA (SpecRaceAtom) race cars as rain tires. Soft compound and treaded.

Race engine:

Hot Rod magazine, July 2009, in an article called FourPlay, did a very detailed hop up on the 2.0 liter GM LSJ. They dyno’d 372 hp with the stock displacement and stock blower manifold and cylinder head, stock valves, stock valve springs, and a milder set of cams than the ones I used.

My race engine has the following upgrades from Hot Rod’s 372 HP:

1. 10% more engine size. 2.2 liter instead of the stock 2.0.
2. CNC ported cylinder head with larger, much more efficient, and polished ports, see pictures.
3. Larger intake valves, titanium, from Supertech.
4. Larger exhaust valves, inconel, from Supertech.
5. Stronger, racing, valve springs, to maintain control of the valves at high RPM.
6. Titanium spring retainers, strong but lightweight, to guard against valve float.
7. Forged and coated pistons, from Diamond.
8. Total Seal piston rings, like the ones I always used in the record breaking top fuel engines that I built.
9. Carrillo forged steel rods- I used Carrillo rods for over 30 years with never a problem.
10. I hand ported the intake/blower manifold to match the larger ports in the CNC ported head.
11. Larger fuel injectors to feed the extra engine size and extra horsepower I built into my race engine.
12. I used a hotter set of camshafts, to feed the larger engine size and better breathing available with the ported head and manifold, and the higher RPM enabled with the forged rods and pistons. Cams optimized for 3500 to 8000 RPM.
13. I use the Harrop TVS supercharger, which I consider a superior piece.
14. I replaced the stock cylinder sleeves with the Darton MIDI sleeves, for greater strength and to allow the extra bore size to make the engine displacement larger.
15. I use a Corvette V-8 throttle body and K&N air filter.
16. I use the expensive GM adjustable camshaft drive gears, that allowed precise timing of the camshafts.

Hot Rod speculated that over 500 HP is possible with the stock engine size, and mine is 10% larger engine size than that.

I will include the Hot Rod magazine detailing their build, and include the two GM Performance Build books that I used for reference.

The race engine (and the almost-stock new engine that is in the car now) are both tuned with the HP Tuners tuning computer/data logger, and that equipment is included in the sale, along with all my tuning notes, charts, and printouts. Besides being able to tune the engine exactly the way you want to and as many times as you want to, the data logs you can print out are more useful and more real world data than running the car stationary on a dyno. You see exactly what it is doing all the way around the track or on the street, with the load that the car actually sees when you’re driving or racing it, not the artificial load of spinning dyno wheels.

There is more to tell, but this post is already too long--

Cheers,

Eddie FourFather Hill

Last edited by FourFather; 03-26-2017 at 09:16 AM.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:31 AM
FourFather
Drifting

Here is a video of my Chevy powered Ariel Atom that I am offering for sale.

Thanks for looking,

Eddie FourFather Hill
Old 03-30-2017, 01:05 PM
FourFather
Drifting

I have run lap times in the one minute and 19 second range with three different Ariel Atoms at Hallett Motor raceway, near Tulsa. Hoosier autocross tires are great on these ~1350 pound Ariels.

Check out the peak gee readings I recorded with my TraqMate data recorder.

Huge fun, and normally don't have to do anything to the car but put 91 octane gas in it. I check the lug nuts and tire pressures, but usually don't have to adjust either.

Cheers,

Eddie FourFather Hill
Old 03-31-2017, 02:55 PM
FourFather
Drifting

Videos, of my Chevy powered Ariel Atom for sale, and some action videos of me driving my Atoms on track, and an interview with us, done at Hallett.

This is a video of my Chevy powered Ariel Atom that is now for sale.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCis...ature=youtu.be

This is me running my streetable, two-seat, 2012 Ariel Atom 3 300HP demonstrator/company car, against single-seat race cars. At Hallett Motor Raceway, near Tulsa, Oklahoma.

And at Eagles Canyon Raceway, near Decatur, Texas.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5EQr...m-upload_owner

And here I get the holeshot at the start of the Open Wheel final at Hallett, recently.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgUNet7Rfz8

Youngster's reaction to first ride, with me, in Ariel Atom

Interview with Eddie and Ercie Hill, done at Hallett Motor Raceway

http://bangshift.com/bangshiftapex/e...-still-racing/

Thanks for looking,

Eddie FourFather Hill

Last edited by FourFather; 03-31-2017 at 02:59 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Eddie FourFather Hill's personal Ariel Atom II with brand new engine

Old 04-02-2017, 05:27 PM
FourFather
Drifting

The Morning Glories in the backdrop were volunteers, we never planted any of them.

At the AtomFest meet held at Hallett Motor Raceway near Tulsa. Lots of Atoms, fellowship, and track time. Huge fun!

I have been blessed with so many toys, thank you, Lord!, that it is time to sell some. Like the one in front of Ercie's pickup, for instance.

Thanks for looking,

Eddie FourFather Hill
Old 04-05-2017, 09:50 AM
FourFather
Drifting

I think this is an interesting "painting" (altered photo) of the Ariel Atom I have for sale.

Cheers,

Eddie FourFather Hill
Old 04-07-2017, 11:31 AM
FourFather
Drifting

Here is a 44 second video of a start up, roll around, and zero to 50 in my driveway, with the Ariel Atom I have for sale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0csR...ature=youtu.be

Thanks for looking,

Eddie FourFather Hill

Quick Reply: Eddie FourFather Hill's personal Ariel Atom II with brand new engine