Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Next-Gen Supra only 400/300 hp/tq? Weak!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 09:52 AM
Walford
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Next-Gen Supra only 400/300 hp/tq? Weak!

https://www.yahoo.com/news/one-fans-...220140209.html

"At launch, the Supra will most likely offer an evolution of the brand-new V6 engine that debuted earlier this year in the 2018 Lexus LS. It will use a pair of turbochargers to generate 400 horsepower and 300 pound-feet of torque in its most basic configuration."

That's pretty sad. The last generation TT Supra was a genuine competitor to the Corvette (not in price), and gorgeous, I think. The higher-end model will be a hybrid, which means it will be heavy as hell, even if it can best the Stingray in crankshaft numbers. I doubt it will be able to match the Z06 and ZR1.

It will be interesting to see what the Fast and Furious boys can do with it.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:55 AM
White Out
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

The base model at 400hp doesn't compete with 430hp Corvette?
Old 04-19-2017, 12:24 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,453 Likes on 2,805 Posts

I don't think it needs to beat the Corvette to be successful. Remember the base Supra also offered a ~200hp engine.

The new Supra needs to split the difference in the camaro and the corvette. GM and many other sports car makers have priced themselves out of the younger crowd by and large, and if Toyota really wanted to make a splash, a car with those power levels or even 300hp starting at like 30k with great styling and handling would really make a splash.

To be successful it doesn't need to beat a vette in a drag race, it just needs to be an everyman ' s sports car.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:27 PM
Walford
Team Owner

Originally Posted by White Out
The base model at 400hp doesn't compete with 430hp Corvette?
That's 460 hp, combined with 465 lb-ft. And dynos have shown that the LT1 puts 300-400 ft-lbs to the pavement from about 1600 to 6500 rpms.

In a car that will weigh close to the same, or maybe a little more if it's a 2+2 coupe, no, it's not a competitor for the 'Vette. Disappointing considering how wicked the last twin-turbo V-6 Toy was for its time. It smacked the snot out of the C4.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:30 PM
Walford
Team Owner

Originally Posted by FAUEE
I don't think it needs to beat the Corvette to be successful. Remember the base Supra also offered a ~200hp engine.

The new Supra needs to split the difference in the camaro and the corvette. GM and many other sports car makers have priced themselves out of the younger crowd by and large, and if Toyota really wanted to make a splash, a car with those power levels or even 300hp starting at like 30k with great styling and handling would really make a splash.

To be successful it doesn't need to beat a vette in a drag race, it just needs to be an everyman ' s sports car.
The article says they intend to peg it against the (base, I guess) Camaro and Mustang.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:40 PM
White Out
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Walford
In a car that will weigh close to the same, or maybe a little more if it's a 2+2 coupe, no, it's not a competitor for the 'Vette. Disappointing considering how wicked the last twin-turbo V-6 Toy was for its time. It smacked the snot out of the C4.
What didn't?

This is from the article:
What’s under the hood?

At launch, the Supra will most likely offer an evolution of the brand-new V6 engine that debuted earlier this year in the 2018 Lexus LS. It will use a pair of turbochargers to generate 400 horsepower and 300 pound-feet of torque in its most basic configuration. Rear-wheel drive will come standard, though transmission options remain unconfirmed.

Enthusiasts who want even more power will need to go hybrid. Sources familiar with Toyota’s plans have revealed the Supra’s second powertrain will be a gasoline-electric hybrid built around a turbocharged four-cylinder engine and a powerful electric motor.

“If we can have a World Endurance Championship racing car with hybrid technology, it can happen on a road car,” Johan van Zyl, the president of Toyota’s European division, told British magazine Auto Express.

What will its rivals be?

One of the Supra’s main rivals will be the Nissan 370Z. It’s one of the older coupes on the market, so it might be out of production by the time the Supra lands, but Nissan has previously confirmed a successor is in the works.

Toyota will position its upcoming coupe in the same segment as the Chevrolet Camaro and the Ford Mustang, two of the most popular sports cars on the market. It will also face competition from the BMW 4 Series, the Mercedes-Benz C-Class Coupe, and the Audi A5 Coupe.
Corvette isn't even on the radar.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:06 PM
pappy.72
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

How long have they been teasing people with a new Supra?. I will believe it when they actually have one in the dealerships.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:19 PM
Kamran
Pro

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by pappy.72
How long have they been teasing people with a new Supra?. I will believe it when they actually have one in the dealerships.
Since 2012 w/FT-HS. Now they have a camouflaged car running around and showing up in youtubes all over.

At one time FT-1 appealed to me, when Tada San said it'd have a sequential gearbox...! The original dream started as nice performer!
Attached Images   
Old 04-24-2017, 04:19 PM
BoostManiac
Team Owner

Location: Deplorable 160 Proof Olde Anglo-Saxon in Atlanta, GA
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Walford
That's 460 hp, combined with 465 lb-ft. And dynos have shown that the LT1 puts 300-400 ft-lbs to the pavement from about 1600 to 6500 rpms.

You haven't been reading new car specs closely.

BMW's I-6 TT, and most other modern turbo engines for that matter, can easily make STOUT peak torque at ~1,800 rpm these days. They know damn well it will be expected to keep up with the Vette and others in the category, so I'm sure it will. Also, don't insult Supras by saying V-6!! They have always had I-6s. A nicely modified Supra like mine has one of my favorite exhaust tones of all when it is wailing and the wastegate/turbine are screaming in symphony!! Mine makes over 400 RWTQ at 3,400 rpm from 3.0L, and a helluva lot more than that soon after and for a looong time.

The top Supra will have to aim for the GT-R and NSX, which will require north of 600 total system HP.

Last edited by BoostManiac; 04-24-2017 at 04:20 PM.
Old 04-24-2017, 04:23 PM
BoostManiac
Team Owner

Originally Posted by pappy.72
Oh...about 20 years (literally)!!
Old 04-24-2017, 07:00 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,453 Likes on 2,805 Posts

Originally Posted by BoostManiac

BMW's I-6 TT, and most other modern turbo engines for that matter, can easily make STOUT peak torque at ~1,800 rpm these days. They know damn well it will be expected to keep up with the Vette and others in the category, so I'm sure it will. Also, don't insult Supras by saying V-6!! They have always had I-6s. A nicely modified Supra like mine has one of my favorite exhaust tones of all when it is wailing and the wastegate/turbine are screaming in symphony!! Mine makes over 400 RWTQ at 3,400 rpm from 3.0L, and a helluva lot more than that soon after and for a looong time.

The top Supra will have to aim for the GT-R and NSX, which will require north of 600 total system HP.
I dont thinkthink so. They can sell a 400 ish hp car just fine to people who want a car that works (sso no germans) without the trailer park image (nno pony cars). I expect it to compete with a mustang or camaro more than a gtr.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:34 PM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by BoostManiac

If the engine is making 300 ft/lb torque and 400hp it's not a flat torque curve like the Corvette.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:44 PM
BoostManiac
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Bucknut2006
If the engine is making 300 ft/lb torque and 400hp it's not a flat torque curve like the Corvette.
I don't believe that torque figure will be what the final production car will have. To have so little torque @ 400 HP with today's tech, I would expect it to be 2.0L, which wouldn't be a V-6. A 3.0L I-6 or V-6 could easily crank out 400/400 or 500/500 with a low rpm torque peak and good power to 7000+ rpm. The current M-3 has this with a torque curve like a pool table.

I'll be pissed if they don't have an upscale giant killer version to uphold the legacy of the last Supra.

Last edited by BoostManiac; 04-24-2017 at 11:47 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:54 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Power ratings often are under stated. I wouldn't worry about the upcoming Supra if any of us live long enough to actually see this car to production...(kidding)

I'm sure the car will be quick and quite competitive in whatever market segment it lands...

I was never a huge Supra fan but I did admire them to a degree and I'm glad the model is returning...

The more the merier

Get notified of new replies

To Next-Gen Supra only 400/300 hp/tq? Weak!