Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Looking for a G8 GT - Info?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 04:11 PM
RiceBurnerZ07
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Looking for a G8 GT - Info?

Times are changing for me, looking to get rid of my C5Z with 80k miles and move into a G8 GT.

Anyone have any experience with these cars? I understand the L76 is a DOD motor and that seems to be a major topic over on the G8boards. Hoping someone on here can give me some insight with these cars, what to look for, things to avoid, and the overall impression the car has given you. From my understanding the L76 is a LS2 bottom and LS3 top end 'type' matched with the 6L80 which seems to have a good rep compared to the 4L60. Not the quickest thing on the road, but enough to enjoy the car while still having the auto, trunk and extra seats.

If anyone knows anyone looking for a Z06, I'd be willing to trade for a decent car with decent miles. Seems like the G8 is a hair below the C5Z value, but lately it seems like everyone is trying to unload their C5Z... Thanks all.
Old 05-14-2017, 07:32 PM
wu6fiend
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice cars, although I understand parts for the G8 may be hard to find, due to the Holden platform, and the low sales figures.

Why not consider the previous generation Cadillac CTS-V? A lot more common and hence easier to find a nice one for sale, and incredible bang for the buck. I was beside one in traffic the other day, man that's a nice looking sport sedan.
Old 05-14-2017, 08:03 PM
RiceBurnerZ07
Instructor

Originally Posted by wu6fiend
Nice cars, although I understand parts for the G8 may be hard to find, due to the Holden platform, and the low sales figures.

Why not consider the previous generation Cadillac CTS-V? A lot more common and hence easier to find a nice one for sale, and incredible bang for the buck. I was beside one in traffic the other day, man that's a nice looking sport sedan.

Yeah, they were definitely a short production car and an AUS car. Didn't know the parts were a little tougher to come by.

While the Gen1 CTSVs are great cars, I'm not the biggest fan of the car. I think finding a G8 GT checks all the same boxes as the CTSV but is 3 or 4 years newer and in my eyes a better looking car. Might come down to it though.. Not in a rush yet but if I was, CTSV would be next pick.
Old 05-14-2017, 10:27 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Buddy of mine has a modded G8, rune low 12's w drag radials. He had the DOD tuned out, has a cam, headers, converter, tune and intake. He nuked the stock trans, now has an upgraded one installed. He does drive it regularly, but economy is not a strong point. I cannot think of any specific issues he has had with the car, but I will ask him.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:52 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,030 Likes on 1,316 Posts

Have you considered the Chevrolet SS? The SS is basically the same car under the skin, with the 415 horse LS3, 6 speed auto (or an extremely rare 6 speed manual), and GM's excellent Magnetic Ride Control, something the G8 wasn't available with. The G8 is a sharper looking car, not that the SS is ugly, it's just a little nondescript.

With used ones selling in the mid 30's, an SS is going to be more money, but you're also getting a much newer car. It's also quite likely that you will be getting a factory warranty, and better parts availability, at least for the time being.

For something a little different, some SS owners have been turning their SS's into Holden's. Everything needed to convert them (emblems, airbag cover, grill, wheel centers, trim, etc) is readily available, because it has become such a popular swap.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:00 AM
MGorman
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've owned a 2009.5 G8GT for several years. It's one of the best cars I've owned. I also owned a 2012 CTSV concurrently, and like the G8 better in many respects.

Headers, exhaust, and ecm/pcm tune dramatically improves the performance of the G8 and totally changes the driving experience. I drove a 2015 Camaro SS that was a slug compared my G8.

I've experienced no major issues. The control arms seem to fail prematurely. I've heard complaints of lifter failures on the earlier models, but supposedly the 2009.5 lifters are better. The audio system is terrible.

I can't speak directly to parts availability, but would think that most mechanical parts would be plentiful as they are the same as the gen 5 Camaro.

Old 05-15-2017, 11:33 AM
druz06
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

MGorman has given you plenty of info. I too had an 09.5 GT with some very good mods before going internally. Stereo-deadened the doors,floors, and rear shelf with the trunk and added JBL speakers and Kicker subs for a direct replacement. Very good change since the doors give a lot of road noise and sounded better w/ the long tubes and catback I had one it. If you have any questions feel free to PM me. I know someone that has one set up, gone through Rick Crawford( the G8 guru), and may be looking into another car. Orange, has miles and some body stuff on roof and trunk, but insanely maintained to perform on courses and rallies he goes on. I sold mine for my C5Z after I had my first kid lol it wasn't used only by me so I took the plunge into mine.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:33 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,447 Likes on 2,803 Posts

I think the real downside of the g8 gt is that they're way expensive for what you get. Good cars, but a lot of people think they're made from gold. You can get an srt8 charger that is better in every way for less money.
Old 05-15-2017, 02:51 PM
RiceBurnerZ07
Instructor

Originally Posted by FAUEE
I think the real downside of the g8 gt is that they're way expensive for what you get. Good cars, but a lot of people think they're made from gold. You can get an srt8 charger that is better in every way for less money.

Sadly, everyone thinks that they've got gold bars nowadays. But you're right KBB seems to price them about 2-3k under a C5Z with similar miles.
Old 05-15-2017, 02:54 PM
RiceBurnerZ07
Instructor

Originally Posted by gbvette62
Have you considered the Chevrolet SS? The SS is basically the same car under the skin, with the 415 horse LS3, 6 speed auto (or an extremely rare 6 speed manual), and GM's excellent Magnetic Ride Control, something the G8 wasn't available with. The G8 is a sharper looking car, not that the SS is ugly, it's just a little nondescript.

With used ones selling in the mid 30's, an SS is going to be more money, but you're also getting a much newer car. It's also quite likely that you will be getting a factory warranty, and better parts availability, at least for the time being.

For something a little different, some SS owners have been turning their SS's into Holden's. Everything needed to convert them (emblems, airbag cover, grill, wheel centers, trim, etc) is readily available, because it has become such a popular swap.
I'm trying to just make the switch across and not dish any cash like that out for a SS. I do agree with the fact that the car is that much newer and warranty being there. The G8 just fits what I'm looking for at the time, back seat, auto, and trunk space. I'll probably be getting into a C6Z sometime in the future since the prices are falling so quickly .
Old 05-15-2017, 02:58 PM
RiceBurnerZ07
Instructor

Originally Posted by MGorman
I've owned a 2009.5 G8GT for several years. It's one of the best cars I've owned. I also owned a 2012 CTSV concurrently, and like the G8 better in many respects.

Headers, exhaust, and ecm/pcm tune dramatically improves the performance of the G8 and totally changes the driving experience. I drove a 2015 Camaro SS that was a slug compared my G8.

I've experienced no major issues. The control arms seem to fail prematurely. I've heard complaints of lifter failures on the earlier models, but supposedly the 2009.5 lifters are better. The audio system is terrible.

I can't speak directly to parts availability, but would think that most mechanical parts would be plentiful as they are the same as the gen 5 Camaro.

Originally Posted by druz06
MGorman has given you plenty of info. I too had an 09.5 GT with some very good mods before going internally. Stereo-deadened the doors,floors, and rear shelf with the trunk and added JBL speakers and Kicker subs for a direct replacement. Very good change since the doors give a lot of road noise and sounded better w/ the long tubes and catback I had one it. If you have any questions feel free to PM me. I know someone that has one set up, gone through Rick Crawford( the G8 guru), and may be looking into another car. Orange, has miles and some body stuff on roof and trunk, but insanely maintained to perform on courses and rallies he goes on. I sold mine for my C5Z after I had my first kid lol it wasn't used only by me so I took the plunge into mine.

Thanks for the info. Seems like these cars are well liked. The DOD and throwing belts seem to be the only mechanical things to keep an eye on besides some of the interior stuff. The goal is a half decent DD and I'm doing my best to avoid the typical crossovers/Suv/sedans and feel the G8 will fill the void the C5Z leaves until I can pick up a C6Z.
Old 05-15-2017, 05:00 PM
MGorman
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No problem. I have not heard of the throwing belts issue. I've not had any mechanical issues with the DOD, but with the headers and aftermarket exhaust the DOD sounds terrible when in 4 cylinder mode and bucks a bit when transitioning back to 8 cylinder mode. I may just have it tuned out entirely.

If you have not had the opportunity to drive a G8, you are more than welcome to drop by and take mine for a spin. I am however not interested in selling it.
Old 05-15-2017, 05:17 PM
RiceBurnerZ07
Instructor

Originally Posted by MGorman
No problem. I have not heard of the throwing belts issue. I've not had any mechanical issues with the DOD, but with the headers and aftermarket exhaust the DOD sounds terrible when in 4 cylinder mode and bucks a bit when transitioning back to 8 cylinder mode. I may just have it tuned out entirely.

If you have not had the opportunity to drive a G8, you are more than welcome to drop by and take mine for a spin. I am however not interested in selling it.
Just realized you're in the area! Awesome.

I will take you up on that offer sometime in the future, I would like to get the chance to drive the car and at least hear some G8 talk from a G8 owner. I'll send you a PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for a G8 GT - Info?

Quick Reply: Looking for a G8 GT - Info?