Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

would fuel injection cleaner make my car run rougher

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 02:07 PM
SUV XLT
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default would fuel injection cleaner make my car run rougher

I have a SUV FORD ESCAPE, 2006, XLT

Began running rough: Used Fuel injection cleaner and Chevron Techtron supreme gas: Would this cause a rougher ride? Is this temporary or can something else be wrong?
Old 09-10-2017, 03:05 PM
ex-x-fire
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 150 Posts

Those Escapes are known for the cats to break up & clog the exhaust. I've seen quite a few with bad coils, scan it for codes.
Old 09-10-2017, 05:54 PM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,104 Likes on 876 Posts

Default Rougher Running when using a good fuel injector cleaner.

I have several cars and have personally seen them run rougher when burning the tank of fuel with the injection cleaner in it. If the system is really bad and has not been cleaned in a while it can wreak havoc on your fuel filter.

In my cases when the car finally burns the fuel up from the tank affected it will get better. The worst I have seen was in my Chevy Pickup truck as the V-6 would shake when idling while burning some brands of fuel injector cleaner.

You might consider a new fuel filter after you burn up the fuel in the tank.

Sounds like the earlier poster has some practical experience with that particular car model. A plugged catalytic converter can definitely affect the cars running. When my converter failed the car would only idle, it could not rev as the exhaust could not find a way to get past the blockage.

Good Luck with your car, even if it isn't a Corvette...!
Old 09-10-2017, 10:44 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,230 Likes on 1,942 Posts

If it were me, I'd start diagnosing before using snake oils in an attempt to make it better or worse.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:51 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

You got something else wrong and anything in a bottle wont fix it; go get a scan done...as complicated as newer cars are there are diagnostic tools just as good to track it down
Know if you go to the C5 section youll hear wihtout a case of techron a month run through it the car will seize up

Last edited by cv67; 09-11-2017 at 11:51 AM.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:55 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,230 Likes on 1,942 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Know if you go to the C5 section youll hear wihtout a case of techron a month run through it the car will seize up
Always a fool around that hopes and prays that he can put a mechanic in a can for $5 and it does $500 worth of repairs. That is what the snake oil peddlers rely on. Since it is so cheap and the buyer so foolish that a few bucks here and a few there and they can make more money till he wises up but the pool of suckered is deep.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:57 PM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

Really everyone, why are we bothering to answer a 1st time posters issue about a Ford Escape in a Corvette C4 tech forum?!?!?!

Get notified of new replies

To would fuel injection cleaner make my car run rougher

Quick Reply: would fuel injection cleaner make my car run rougher