Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

99 Volvo 3l, Bad compression, leak down tests shows valve blow-by, pictures inside

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 12:58 AM
northernterritory
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Volvo 3l, Bad compression, leak down tests shows valve blow-by, pictures inside

I know this isn't a boat forum, but an engine is an engine. Any advice for me?

My manifold had a crack in it causing water intrusion. The first compression test shows erroneous results; some cylinders with no compression. The second compression tests showed cylinder one 80/90, cylinder two 140/150, cylinder three 95/100, and cylinder four 90/159. That’s dry/wet numbers. I went ahead and did a leak down test. All cylinders had significant air blow-by past the valves. There was so much valve blow-by on cylinder four, I don’t see how it created so much compression wet.

I removed the head. I have attached pictures. Piston three looks like, to me, to have detonation signs. Would you look at the pictures please and give me an assessment? What should be my next move? Note, that the whiteness on the other pistons is from the flash.

Old 10-09-2017, 07:35 AM
grandpawmoses
Race Director

Received 95 Likes on 41 Posts

You've certainly came to the right place for advice.
Too bad it's not about alcohol, guns, sex, drugs, or rock & roll.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:08 AM
Chevy Guy
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

My advice? Rebuild the whole thing while it's apart.

You could just get the head done and see what you get for compression after, but not the way I'd go.

Get notified of new replies

To 99 Volvo 3l, Bad compression, leak down tests shows valve blow-by, pictures inside

Quick Reply: 99 Volvo 3l, Bad compression, leak down tests shows valve blow-by, pictures inside