Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Tesla unveils their new roadster these specs are insane..

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 10:02 AM
mebe
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
I don't want to use the term "peasants', but our Tesla is a P85D with Ludicruos.
Yeah, the "peasant" word is kind of an inside joke we use for the menial tasks of life. "Just standing in the long checkout line .... like a peasant." Laugh.

But I was serious about the "no gas stations" benefit. We bought the Tesla because Tesla's aggressive pursuit of self-driving tech (she does a lot of highway driving and has hand/arm repetitive stress issues), and because we liked the car; but the "never go to the gas station" thing was the completely unexpected boon.

Never again do you get in the car and say "dammit, I'm going to be late because I've got to get gas." I'm pretty envious but don't like the size of the S (it's a land yacht), the 3 is still years away if I order now, and I'm not a fan of the Bolt. So .... I end up at the gas station and always text my wife: "Putting gas in the car, like a peasant."
Old 11-18-2017, 11:18 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by mebe
Yeah, the "peasant" word is kind of an inside joke we use for the menial tasks of life. "Just standing in the long checkout line .... like a peasant." Laugh.

But I was serious about the "no gas stations" benefit. We bought the Tesla because Tesla's aggressive pursuit of self-driving tech (she does a lot of highway driving and has hand/arm repetitive stress issues), and because we liked the car; but the "never go to the gas station" thing was the completely unexpected boon.

Never again do you get in the car and say "dammit, I'm going to be late because I've got to get gas." I'm pretty envious but don't like the size of the S (it's a land yacht), the 3 is still years away if I order now, and I'm not a fan of the Bolt. So .... I end up at the gas station and always text my wife: "Putting gas in the car, like a peasant."
And never again do you leave work in the afternoon, and not go straight home thinking; "do I need to stop for gas this evening on the way home, so that I don't have to stop for gas on my way to where I'm heading in the morning?"

Not having to go to the gas station, not buying gasoline, that's a huge benefit that once you get used to, it's hard to imagine going to the gas station.

You get up in the morning, and your car is "full".

You come in, even if for just a couple hours before you leave again, you plug in, and you're charging at a rate of 28 miles per hour or thereabouts, so when you're ready to leave again, you've gotten some of your mileage back.

We have a 253 mile range and charge to 224 every day. We rarely get below 170 miles of range before the car is back at home anyway.

Originally Posted by Moto
Got my order in! 2020 can't come fast enough!

Congrats.

I was just over on my own Tesla order page, as I'm about to order another Model S, and decided to take a look to see what they were asking for the deposit on the new Roadster.

Name:  OeZI6p9.png
Views: 8
Size:  1.34 MB

Name:  JHiSNZu.png
Views: 5
Size:  381.8 KB

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 11-18-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Old 11-18-2017, 11:39 AM
427bob
Pro

Received 296 Likes on 93 Posts

Saw the Tesla guy show the truck, which was amazing, and the new roadster that is due out in a year or 2. Destroys every other car out there today (production car). Not only that, the roadster he introduced with the fantastic acceleration numbers, is the BASE car. Holy Crap!

But I worry about this guy and his company. He's financed up to the gills, way behind in production numbers, and expect tons of competition that might just put his company under. Would not buy his stock TSLA. Down from $390 to low 300's.
Old 11-18-2017, 11:53 AM
Moto
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't bet against Elon Musk. I bought the stock when it was $29.

Originally Posted by 427bob
Saw the Tesla guy show the truck, which was amazing, and the new roadster that is due out in a year or 2. Destroys every other car out there today (production car). Not only that, the roadster he introduced with the fantastic acceleration numbers, is the BASE car. Holy Crap!

But I worry about this guy and his company. He's financed up to the gills, way behind in production numbers, and expect tons of competition that might just put his company under. Would not buy his stock TSLA. Down from $390 to low 300's.
Old 11-18-2017, 11:54 AM
mebe
Advanced

Originally Posted by 427bob
I share your worry about the company but am not worried about the brand. Tesla has built a fantastic brand. If the company gets into financial trouble it will be acquired and the product roadmap preserved. In some ways I'd have more faith if it were acquired. Tesla engineering + Existing car company manufacturing and I'd be much more confident in a 2020 introduction of the new Roadster. Tesla building it? It's probably later than that.

However, my concern for the company makes me unwilling to be a $50k unsecured creditor and so am not willing to pre-order a roadster 2. I would were the company profitable or not burning cash at such a fearsome rate.
Old 11-18-2017, 02:08 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,447 Likes on 2,803 Posts

It's Tesla, none of what they claimed will materialize. Every spec will be cut by half when it' erleased, and it will be 5 years after they claim it will be released that it actually comes out.

Frankly, the chances are better than Tesla goes bankrupt before it comes out than it actually coming out. Tesla has like a year and a half before it' bankrupt.
Old 11-18-2017, 02:40 PM
Callsign_Vega
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
It's Tesla, none of what they claimed will materialize. Every spec will be cut by half when it' erleased, and it will be 5 years after they claim it will be released that it actually comes out.

Frankly, the chances are better than Tesla goes bankrupt before it comes out than it actually coming out. Tesla has like a year and a half before it' bankrupt.
I see we aren't lacking for those with a penchant for hyperbole.

The Model S does everything it was advertised to do. Real 2.5 second 0-60 for a sedan, etc.

Musk and Tesla are completely revolutionary, hard for some people to understand.
Old 11-18-2017, 05:16 PM
bapd77
Safety Car

Received 418 Likes on 194 Posts

$250k is cheaper than I expected honestly.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:54 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Originally Posted by Callsign_Vega
I see we aren't lacking for those with a penchant for hyperbole.

The Model S does everything it was advertised to do. Real 2.5 second 0-60 for a sedan, etc.

Musk and Tesla are completely revolutionary, hard for some people to understand.
The model S only does that after many years of extra development, and what most of the general public (especially the mouth breathers in banking that love Tesla so much) don' get, is you don' get that performance AND the battery life.

Tesla isn' revolutionary. Battery powered cars have been around for a very long time. GM had a successful battery powered car like 20 years ago. If Musk wants to do something revolutionary, he should come up with a way to economically recycle all the waste lithium ion batteries Tesla is creating, which have a very limited life cycle and no way to recycle them. They'e just trash that has to be specially disposed of.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:58 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Originally Posted by mebe
I share your worry about the company but am not worried about the brand. Tesla has built a fantastic brand. If the company gets into financial trouble it will be acquired and the product roadmap preserved. In some ways I'd have more faith if it were acquired. Tesla engineering + Existing car company manufacturing and I'd be much more confident in a 2020 introduction of the new Roadster. Tesla building it? It's probably later than that.

However, my concern for the company makes me unwilling to be a $50k unsecured creditor and so am not willing to pre-order a roadster 2. I would were the company profitable or not burning cash at such a fearsome rate.
In about a year, Tesla will be split up. Tesla cars will be acquired by another automaker, I'd guess Mercedes or VW. Their engineering will be let go, and whatever company buys them will likely figure out quickly their product pipeline is a bunch of fantasies. Their brand names will be applied to electric versions of a real automakers models, with new sheet metal. Whoever buys them will definitely improve their materials and quality though.

The other parts of Tesla will be bought for virtually nothing by the titans of industry like GE amd Westinghouse. If there' anything of value there.
Old 11-19-2017, 12:11 AM
mebe
Advanced

In about a year, Tesla will be split up. Tesla cars will be acquired by another automaker, I'd guess Mercedes or VW. Their engineering will be let go, and whatever company buys them will likely figure out quickly their product pipeline is a bunch of fantasies. Their brand names will be applied to electric versions of a real automakers models, with new sheet metal. Whoever buys them will definitely improve their materials and quality though.

The other parts of Tesla will be bought for virtually nothing by the titans of industry like GE amd Westinghouse. If there' anything of value there.
Very good to be specific. We will check in November 2018 to see if your prediction is right. Bookmarking this post to reference next year.
Old 11-19-2017, 01:54 AM
Moto
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you really believe your own crap, you would be shorting the hell out of the company. Ask all the shorts how they're doing right now.

Old 11-19-2017, 01:35 PM
Callsign_Vega
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

I only give trolls on this forum a 2 out of 10.
Old 11-19-2017, 02:33 PM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 222 Posts

It's impressive specs, but electric at this rate will never be affordable to the masses. I have no problem with normal engines, though, and will continue to go to the gas station. You can meet some pretty cool people with pretty cool cars there. Also, do all of you electric car owners have to plug your cars in when you get home with those big, heavy cords? Unless you have a servant do that for you, I don't think you can escape the peasant status. All I have to do is get out of my car and walk in the house.
Old 11-19-2017, 06:01 PM
KICKIT
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

vegas odds has your prediction at 1000000-1
Old 11-19-2017, 07:43 PM
Crushinator
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 77 Posts

8's in the quarter? Holy ****!
Old 11-19-2017, 07:44 PM
Crushinator
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 77 Posts

I wish I could feel what the acceleration feels like with no sound. That is wild!

Get notified of new replies

To Tesla unveils their new roadster these specs are insane..

Old 11-20-2017, 01:23 PM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Crushinator
I wish I could feel what the acceleration feels like with no sound. That is wild!
There is an advantage to no sound. You'll be able to hear your screaming passengers better.
Old 11-20-2017, 01:43 PM
btrapps
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Tesla needs to figure out their supply chain though. I own a manufacturing company (on a super small scale) and expectations are everything. If I don't meet my order requirements, I'm out of business. I was one of the first on the "X" list and that thing was delayed so many times that I canceled and bought a different SUV. We couldn't wait forever and I had to make a choice. Noted that 3's are being delivered but the vast majority are delayed and will likely face further delays. On that roadster, with that technology? Forget it, that thing will go to market 3 years after it is supposed to arrive at your doorstep.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:13 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts

Elon said the point of this is "to give the ultimate smack-down to gasoline cars".

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/videos...ous-tesla-yet/

You know, one has to wonder if these efforts are the result of business plans or restless nights and troubling dreams...

Also, I was waiting for "Hammer Industries" knock-offs of Stark fighting suits to come up from under the stage floor.. Or Elon to climb inside an iron man suit and fly to Mars.

Last edited by tcinla; 11-20-2017 at 07:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Tesla unveils their new roadster these specs are insane..