Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Transmission problem and CEL caused by leaking coolant overflow tank?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 06:50 PM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Received 526 Likes on 343 Posts

Default Transmission problem and CEL caused by leaking coolant overflow tank?

My daughter drives a 2014 Chevy Spark with 42,000 miles. It is out of the bumper to bumper warranty.

A week ago Friday, the CVT started acting crazy, shifting all over the place and the check engine light came on.

I called them on Saturday and they said to wait until Monday to bring it in. Fine.

I had the car towed to the dealer on Monday a week ago today and they gave me a loaner car on Wednesday.

I didn't hear a thing until today. They called and told me the coolant overflow tank was cracked and that was causing all of this. I told them to fix it. Not covered by warranty.

I drove the car last weekend first thing in the morning (stone cold) and the transmission was acting up.

I think all of this smells fishy. I asked for the cracked coolant tank after they replace it. The overflow tank was not empty when I took it in. I had checked it.

I am going to ask them to drive it and make sure it is fixed before I come and get it. I don't want to have to take it right back.

What are your thoughts?
Old 11-27-2017, 07:12 PM
Chevy Guy
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

I think you already know the answer to this one.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:11 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

And people wonder why I do all my own repairs.

The ONLY way I could potentially see a cracked coolant tank causing the problems you describe would be if it were dumping coolant on an engine or transmission control module and shorting out some circuitry. And if that truly is the case then they ******* well better be replacing that module(s) too.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:16 PM
mchar
Race Director

Received 87 Likes on 62 Posts

The first words out of my mouth?

NO, hell no.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:27 PM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Received 272 Likes on 163 Posts

Was the coolant fluid low when you checked it?
Old 11-27-2017, 10:14 PM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Originally Posted by C5 Hardtop
Was the coolant fluid low when you checked it?
Yes. I don't really doubt that it was cracked, but I cannot understand how it could cause a transmission problem and a CEL.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:35 PM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Received 272 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
Yes. I don't really doubt that it was cracked, but I cannot understand how it could cause a transmission problem and a CEL.
Good question. It is plausible the fluid leaked onto a connection. I'd get the code and look it up. My car has a CVT and I wouldn't know what to do if it was shifting weird since it doesn't really shift. Are you guessing its a trans problem based on engine RPM noise or is there more to it? Maybe the engine is having a problem and the transmission is impacted by that.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:42 PM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Originally Posted by C5 Hardtop
Good question. It is plausible the fluid leaked onto a connection. I'd get the code and look it up. My car has a CVT and I wouldn't know what to do if it was shifting weird since it doesn't really shift. Are you guessing its a trans problem based on engine RPM noise or is there more to it? Maybe the engine is having a problem and the transmission is impacted by that.
The rpm's were fluctuating wildly. Like you couldn't take off because it was in a high "gear", then the rpm's would just go up and down.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:47 AM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Well, I was driving their courtesy car and hit a deer on my way into work this morning! The car is damaged to the tune of $2,000 to $3,000 I would guess. Glad I wasn't driving my Corvette!
Old 11-28-2017, 01:30 PM
alamike
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Nissan CVTs have failed due to coolant finding its way into the transmission fluid after a radiator tank failure.
http://www.nissanproblems.com/trends...-transmission/

Are these the same clowns that took over Landshark Chevrolet on University?

Get notified of new replies

To Transmission problem and CEL caused by leaking coolant overflow tank?

Quick Reply: Transmission problem and CEL caused by leaking coolant overflow tank?