Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Curious, any Fiero guys around here?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 10:51 PM
MikieG1971
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Curious, any Fiero guys around here?

I am looking at an 86 GT for me daughter. I sent my son to test drive it tonite. He said the tranny took effort to get into the gears and there were no positive feeling gates on this 4spd trans.
He said the car took alot of work to drive and shift compared to my 96 LT4 ZF6 car.
Anyone here have any experience with this one?
If this topic offends, mods feel free to delete.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:38 AM
auto_cran
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Mikie,

I've had a couple of Fiero's - both 86s. One an 86 SE (with 4-speed and V6), the second a GT with the 5-speed and V6.

These cars don't have power steering - so some effort is needed to steer it, especially at low speeds.

The shifter is very notchy with the stock gear-shifter being tall - making changing gears a little wierd at first. One thing I did on both of my cars was to change the shifter to smaller, short-throw shifter from Rodnet Dickman. Uses the same **** and boot, but the stick is shorter. Greatly improves action and feel. (easy to change and less than $100). Stock or not, should be a very positive feel as you change gears.

Sounds like the 86 GT you all are looking at is an early 86 - being it's a 4-speed. The 5-speed transmission came out mid model year, and is preferred.

Fun cars! Hope to get another one day.

Chris
Old 05-15-2018, 11:09 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by auto_cran
Hey Mikie,

I've had a couple of Fiero's - both 86s. One an 86 SE (with 4-speed and V6), the second a GT with the 5-speed and V6.

These cars don't have power steering - so some effort is needed to steer it, especially at low speeds.

The shifter is very notchy with the stock gear-shifter being tall - making changing gears a little wierd at first. One thing I did on both of my cars was to change the shifter to smaller, short-throw shifter from Rodnet Dickman. Uses the same **** and boot, but the stick is shorter. Greatly improves action and feel. (easy to change and less than $100). Stock or not, should be a very positive feel as you change gears.

Sounds like the 86 GT you all are looking at is an early 86 - being it's a 4-speed. The 5-speed transmission came out mid model year, and is preferred.

Fun cars! Hope to get another one day.

Chris

Chris is spot on. I have an early 86 V6/4spd, the RD short throw shifter was a huge improvement. Adjustment of the shift cables is very important as well. Upgrades are available for the brakes, which I think are a weak point for the car.
The power from the stock engine is enough to have fun, you can literally drive it flat out all the time and not worry about going to jail.
I am in the middle of doing a cat delete on mine (waiting on parts) and just deleted the A/C to save few pounds. I love this car.

Old 05-17-2018, 12:32 AM
MikieG1971
Instructor

Ok, i picked up this 86GT for $1400. Its a fairly clean car. The only problem is the 4spd has the 4th gear synchro going out.
My thoughts are to hust swap in another tranny.
Opening this one for rebuild would cost a pretty penny. So the question now is, where can a guy get a trustworthy 4spd from and how much $ should it cost?
Any advise is appreciated greatly.
Old 05-17-2018, 05:10 AM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by MikieG1971
Ok, i picked up this 86GT for $1400. Its a fairly clean car. The only problem is the 4spd has the 4th gear synchro going out.
My thoughts are to hust swap in another tranny.
Opening this one for rebuild would cost a pretty penny. So the question now is, where can a guy get a trustworthy 4spd from and how much $ should it cost?
Any advise is appreciated greatly.
Finding a bolt in 4 spd might be tough, remember it is still set up like a FWD car even though it is RWD. A 5 spd would probably be easier to find, but I am not sure what additional work (if any) is required for the changeover. The 4 spd is basically a T-10 turned sideways, so any even halfway decent trans shop should have no problem rebuilding it pretty cheaply.
Post up your location in your profile, somebody may know a good trans shop in your area.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:28 AM
MikieG1971
Instructor

Tulsa OK
Old 05-17-2018, 11:43 AM
Velocity_Vette
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 294 Posts

I've owned nearly every Fiero made except for an '85 model somehow. I'm convinced after 20 years in that game I'm pretty much done with them...

I agree with above that you may look into a good five speed conversion. The F22 Getrag that was in the V6 models (I had an '86 GT with a five speed; a later car as you have an earlier car with the 4 speed) pairs very well with the V6 and the fifth gear is better suited for highway cruising. I saw REALLY good MPGs with the six speed all things considered and considering my GT had nearly 300,000 miles on ti.

The F23 Getrag used in later GM FWD cars is a near direct bolt in. The only things it will require is an adapter for the linkages and five speed shift and select cables. The other good thing is that later F23s are not subjected to the terrible gearing that Fieros have (remember, when Fieros were new the national highway speed limit was 55 MPH, which in modern times makes their gearing not ideal). Rodney Dickman sells all of this need to throw an F23 in and I recommend checking him out;

http://rodneydickman.com/

Last edited by Velocity_Vette; 05-17-2018 at 11:44 AM.
Old 05-18-2018, 10:31 PM
B R
Melting Slicks

Location: Los Angeles, CA.... I know a guy who has a Lambo with Corvette doors

I had a manual GT back in the late 90s. I don't remember the shifting being too bad. I mainly sold it because it was too slow, so then I got my first Vette (C4).

Old 05-20-2018, 03:19 AM
Mikeceli
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

OP has your daughter ever driven a Fiero? Stick shift, Fiero w/ it's long linkage and cantankerous shifting?

Would she be comfortable, long term, driving such a car? Sitting low, not too good visibility.

I saw many parents buy and fix up cars for kids, only to find they don't like them or tire of them soon.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:56 AM
MikieG1971
Instructor

When my daughter just got her license she was ready for her 1st car. We were out looking at cars (Cavaliers, Cobalts etc), when we were passed by an odd car that my daughter thought was cool. I explained to her that that was a Fiero and all the "effort" one requires. Before i was done, she had not only read the Wikipedia on the Fiero, she had already looked thru Craigslist. There was no talking her out of it.
When the sun went down, there was an 86 std coup 4cyl auto Fiero in my driveway. She worked at Sonic drive in and earned every penny herself. So for $800, you can imagine how many hours i spent wrenching all the problems out of that car.
Truth is, i loved every minute of it and spent some good times with my daughter.
As time went on, her needs for more passenger and trunk space spelled the demise of the old Fiero.
The car was sold back to the kid she bought it from for $800 and she bought a Cobalt and today a KIA Soul.
When the car left, i realized i loved it too.
Today she is married with 2 babies. She has nothing in her life to remind her of her youth. Lately she has been talking about saving up and buying hersrlf another Fiero. You know this will never happen. On her earnings with two little ones, this is nothing more than a dream, a mere memory of an innocent time long long ago.
i figured if i am going thru that again, im doin it on my terms. This 86GT is a good car. I just need to sort out thw trans and the headlights. I cant wait to see her face when i give it to her.
Old 05-20-2018, 01:35 PM
Mikeceli
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice story "Mikie".
Old 05-24-2018, 11:05 PM
silversport
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

great story MikieG...

Bill
Old 05-24-2018, 11:13 PM
MikieG1971
Instructor

I gave it to her at work. She is a server at Chillis and seems like she lives there.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:15 PM
MikieG1971
Instructor

She just stood there starring at it in disbelief. She was fine until she sat in it and started the engine. Thats when she nearly lost her composure.
Now the real work begins!

Get notified of new replies

To Curious, any Fiero guys around here?

Quick Reply: Curious, any Fiero guys around here?