Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

In the market for truck: 8L90 problems?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 08:09 PM
hungryhippo
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

Default In the market for truck: 8L90 problems?

I'm shopping for a 2016+ sierra or yukon denali. I'm a little put off by the issues I'm reading about the 8 speed. It seems like the issues may have been fixed with a redesigned torque converter. I'm not seeing many complaints about the 10 speed. I wonder how good the 8 speed is if GM/Ford had the 10 speed in development. Should I go for a 2018 Yukon with the 10 speed or go for a used model? Thanks for any input.
Old 06-24-2018, 09:39 PM
wu6fiend
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the 8 speed in my 2016 Yukon Denali. I've noticed the occasional hard shift (maybe, once or twice a day, sometimes even less often than that). I've also noticed the vehicle is not especially happy under light throttle, going up a hill (it holds a higher than optimum gear longer than it should, and is not as responsive as it should be). I actually noticed this characteristic when we drove a demo Yukon XL, so this is not unique to my particular vehicle. There is also a tiny vibration/rattle noise in this circumstance (going up a slight hill, under light throttle), which I understand is some kind of valve in the exhaust. In that sense (holding an upper gear too long), it reminds me of the 700R4 in my old 1987 IROC-Z from many years ago: once it got into OD, it didn't want to shift down unless you gave it a lot of throttle). The overall driving experience of the 2016 (engine + transmission combination) was superior in my previous Yukon Denali (2009) and in fact its predecessor (2005). So in that sense, newer is not better. All that aside, though, I am very pleased with the 2016, and have no plans to change anything (some owners report disabling the AFM via a tune or Range device improves drivability). My wife, when she has driven the Yukon, has either never noticed the above, or has chosen to ignore it.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:55 AM
MVR 155
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In XI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

I have a 2015 Yukon Denali with the 8 speed...... it's much better than the 6.2L/6 speed that was in my 2008 Hummer H2. When it's cold, it will occasionally exhibit slight rougher shift characteristics. I had a 2018 Escalade rental back in February for a trip to Vail...... The 10 speed trans was absolutely seamless. Overall I'm very happy with the Denali and wouldn't have any issue suggesting the vehicle to someone else.
Old 06-26-2018, 11:19 AM
hungryhippo
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

Thank you both for the detailed responses. I am leaning towards a used yukon with the 8 speed. Apparently the 8 speed is faster than the 10 speed according to Car and Driver.
Old 10-15-2018, 04:57 PM
Exsanguinate
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Wouldn't

I know 4 months have passed and you probably pulled the trigger, but I would pass on the 8L90. I have a 2015 Stingray and many problems with hard shifting, not shifting, transmission shudder, and a tach fluctuating 300 rpm while cruising at steady speeds on flat surfaces.
Service writer wrote what he wanted and not what I stated the issues were. So far I've had a software update that did nothing. Next step is a new torque converter. I've already heard from people who got a new TQ and the problems we're back within several thousand miles. Rumor mill has GM releasing a brand new converter late 1st quarter of 19. Right now I don't have any faith that this will be a permanent solution, just enough of one to get you past your warranty period.
Had plans to buy a new Silverado in 2020, not anymore. Forgot to mention my son has a 2017 Sierra less than 10000 miles, same issues with his 8L90 transmission. JUNK stay away!

Get notified of new replies

To In the market for truck: 8L90 problems?