Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Cadillac CTS or Chevrolet Impala

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 06:33 PM
kenmo
Le Mans Master

Received 107 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Cadillac CTS or Chevrolet Impala

In March of this year on my way to work, I was t-boned in an intersection. It was snowing and a Nissan Pathfinder was driving too fast for the conditions and failed to stop at the red light.
I was driving my 2008 Buick Allure (it's a what a USA Lacrosse is named in Canada) which was in almost new condition despite having just over 100,000 kms (about 62,000 miles) on the 3.8.

I've had fantastic luck with these GM W bodies. Prior I owned a 2000 Chevy Impala again with a 3.8. It had close to 200,000 kms when I got tired of her.

My car before the 2000 Impala was a 1992 Chevy Lumina with a 3.1. Got close to 300,000 kms on the car which I sold to a lady who drove it to work for another 4 or 5 years.

These cars have been bullet proof and other than routine maintenance (oil changes, plugs, wires, alternator, tires, tie rod ends).

I've been driving our 2006 Ford Focus but it now needs some work. Thinking of picking up another used Impala or Buick equivalent (Allure/LaCrosse) . But few offer the 3.8 anymore. Most are 3.5, 3.6, 3.9.
I'm spooked by all the internet postings of these engines having the variable valve timing issues with timing chains being destroyed. Apparently the issue with variable valve timing is not unique to GM but most other car companies have problems it.

I've also heard of a lot of the GM Flex fuel engines are also having issues, resulting in engine failure.

There are a few Cadillac CTS's for sale good prices 2009 to 2011. Probably about $2,000 more then for an Impala. But they all have a DOHC 3.6 V6 which I'm not familiar with. Internet searches seem to indicate these Caddy engines either consume oil or lose it, resulting in engine issues.

Any thoughts or feedbacks on these cars?

I just retired on Friday and I want to spend what little income I now have wisely.

Cheers & many thanks...
Old 07-03-2018, 05:35 PM
kenmo
Le Mans Master

Received 107 Likes on 51 Posts

So no one has any experience with these two GMs?

Cheers

Ken

Quick Reply: Cadillac CTS or Chevrolet Impala