Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Hyundai composite headlight repair / baking in the oven.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 08:17 AM
Daleford
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Hyundai composite headlight repair / baking in the oven.

I have read the following post on baking a Corvette headlight in the oven to release the glue holding it together:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...z06-etc-4.html

Wondering if the amount of heat used to release the bond is about the same for all headlights? I am repairing a 2018 Hyundai Elantra sedan headlight that has a loose part on the inside. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:07 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,105 Likes on 706 Posts

The heating time and temp will vary based on the adheasive used during the original assembly.
I am sure the Corvette instructions will get you in the ballpark.
Have you searched this on a Hyundai forum or Youtube? I am sure somebody has done this before.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:35 PM
Daleford
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by HBsurfer
The heating time and temp will vary based on the adheasive used during the original assembly.
I am sure the Corvette instructions will get you in the ballpark.
Have you searched this on a Hyundai forum or Youtube? I am sure somebody has done this before.
Yes, checking else where. Thanks

Old 10-11-2018, 01:26 PM
Velocity_Vette
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 294 Posts

Yeah the heat time will vary slightly because again of different type (and amount) of adhesive used but for the most part it's the same. I've done this sort of thing on a few cars through the years and have always followed the "heat to 350F" and -start-tugging-where-you-can thing until I can begin to get the lens and housing to separate. Re: the link you posted I agree with what is posted there. Some people think this just melts or congeals into a mess when baked but it's more like it begins to sweat a little and loosen up. Remember that most non-LED headlights get incredibly hot, so if it were just simply melting at 350F then we'd have cars rolling around everywhere with melted head light assemblies.

The worst thing you may deal with is subsequently actually removing the adhesive to prep it for re-assembly. Ideally you will want to have the adhesive remain on the housing, as it's easier to remove there. If it remains on the light then you'll have to be very careful attempting any sort of clean up or removal as it can crack the lens. I had one head light I was unable to completely remove adhesive from, so I just shaved a fine layer of it off to give room for new adhesive, then applied, and reassembled. A bit janky, but it worked.
Old 10-11-2018, 02:08 PM
Daleford
Burning Brakes

Thanks for info. ---- Dale

Get notified of new replies

To Hyundai composite headlight repair / baking in the oven.