Notices
Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Hellcat Charger opinions wanted

 
Old 05-13-2019, 05:42 PM
  #1  
ChiefP
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Jul 2015
Posts: 178
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Hellcat Charger opinions wanted

Hello all, I'm looking for opinions on Charger Hellcats (leaning that way more than the challenger). I'm not looking for how awesome the motor is, got that. I've read some of us have hellcats as DDs or it's not the only horse in the stable. For those, how is the car other than a full throttle smile maker? Fit and finish? Rattles, bangs, issues? I know the 2015 & 16s had issues with supercharger bearings for instance. I have a 300 SRT in the barn, so I know the Harman Kardon system sounds good, if a little light on power. I guess my problem/concern is, stripped of the drive train, it's "just" a charger and there are like 9 thousand different trim levels. Even the magazine reviews, after pages of praise for the motor, mention how plastic the interior is and other complaints "that can be over looked". IMO, the C7 is an excellent car overall, regardless of trim. Can the same thing be said about the dodges?
ChiefP is offline  
Old 05-14-2019, 12:53 AM
  #2  
Closer_2001
CF Senior Member
 
Closer_2001's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2001
Location: League City TX
Posts: 2,984
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ChiefP View Post
Hello all, I'm looking for opinions on Charger Hellcats (leaning that way more than the challenger). I'm not looking for how awesome the motor is, got that. I've read some of us have hellcats as DDs or it's not the only horse in the stable. For those, how is the car other than a full throttle smile maker? Fit and finish? Rattles, bangs, issues? I know the 2015 & 16s had issues with supercharger bearings for instance. I have a 300 SRT in the barn, so I know the Harman Kardon system sounds good, if a little light on power. I guess my problem/concern is, stripped of the drive train, it's "just" a charger and there are like 9 thousand different trim levels. Even the magazine reviews, after pages of praise for the motor, mention how plastic the interior is and other complaints "that can be over looked". IMO, the C7 is an excellent car overall, regardless of trim. Can the same thing be said about the dodges?

I loved my Hellcat - didn't drive it much and consolidated some cars earlier this year. Fastest pass I ever made at the drag strip on OEM wheels with drag radials...low 11s. Paper air filter in place, etc. Baby seat still installed in the back.
It's a Beast. Refined. But it does look like every other V6 Charger with Black Wheels on the road or rental car aisle.
You have to know and appreciate the details...like the ZF trans is the same box in a Roll Royce Wraith
It depends on what you want.
I lucked out in the 2016 $599 Lease Deal rodeo...so my financial investment was minimal.




I was pleased to see it go with 3000 miles on the clock to someone who would drive and enjoy it more.

Closer_2001 is offline  
Old 05-14-2019, 02:56 PM
  #3  
Tally Ho
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Tally Ho's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2000
Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Posts: 12,482
Received 203 Likes on 163 Posts
Default

I have a 2017 I bought new. Only complaint so far is the lack of quality materials on the dash and doors. The seats are great with the nappa leather. I had to have both front door panels replaced under warranty for delamination. I use mine as a secondary DD as my truck is primary. I have 13K miles on it now and will have had it 3 years this upcoming December. I would buy another FWIW.
Tally Ho is offline  
Old 05-14-2019, 10:58 PM
  #4  
ChiefP
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Jul 2015
Posts: 178
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Default

Thanks guys. I followed a Charger wide body on the way home from work today (we always get new SRT stuff at the Roush shop here). Really like the new lines, but needs wider that 305s on it.
ChiefP is offline  
Old 05-17-2019, 11:14 PM
  #5  
Donuts
CF Senior Member
 
Donuts's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2007
Location: Okiehoma
Posts: 6,456
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Default

Widebody Charger or did you mean Challenger?

I had a '16 HC Challenger and liked it , had it a year and traded back for a C7 Z . The C7 is a much nicer car but not anywhere close to being as comfy as a dodge
Donuts is offline  
Old 05-18-2019, 12:22 AM
  #6  
ChiefP
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Jul 2015
Posts: 178
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Donuts View Post
Widebody Charger or did you mean Challenger?

I had a '16 HC Challenger and liked it , had it a year and traded back for a C7 Z . The C7 is a much nicer car but not anywhere close to being as comfy as a dodge
Charger. Still wearing camo graphics but when your close theres no hiding it.

Last edited by ChiefP; 05-18-2019 at 12:23 AM.
ChiefP is offline  
Old 05-22-2019, 11:29 AM
  #7  
BlackHellcat
CF Senior Member
 
BlackHellcat's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2018
Location: PA
Posts: 1,145
Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
Default

I daily my 2018 Charger HC. Zero problems. Love the car
BlackHellcat is offline  
Old 05-22-2019, 11:30 AM
  #8  
BlackHellcat
CF Senior Member
 
BlackHellcat's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2018
Location: PA
Posts: 1,145
Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
Default



BlackHellcat is offline  
Old 05-22-2019, 11:31 AM
  #9  
BlackHellcat
CF Senior Member
 
BlackHellcat's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2018
Location: PA
Posts: 1,145
Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
Default

Originally Posted by Donuts View Post
Widebody Charger or did you mean Challenger?

I had a '16 HC Challenger and liked it , had it a year and traded back for a C7 Z . The C7 is a much nicer car but not anywhere close to being as comfy as a dodge
How is it nicer? Not saying you're wrong, just curious as to why you say that. You already know the HC is much more comfy. I went HC over C7 b/c I wanted to daily drive it
BlackHellcat is offline  
Old 05-22-2019, 03:27 PM
  #10  
Donuts
CF Senior Member
 
Donuts's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2007
Location: Okiehoma
Posts: 6,456
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by BlackHellcat View Post
How is it nicer? Not saying you're wrong, just curious as to why you say that. You already know the HC is much more comfy. I went HC over C7 b/c I wanted to daily drive it
fit and finish in general. But it should considering there's a $20k difference in price
Donuts is offline  
Old 05-27-2019, 08:09 AM
  #11  
Chevy Guy
CF Senior Member
 
Chevy Guy's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2004
Location: NJ
Posts: 17,128
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Default

I was Hellcat shopping a while back until I got an insurance quote. All quotes were 3-4 thousand dollars for full coverage and enhanced liability.

Last edited by Chevy Guy; 05-27-2019 at 07:36 PM.
Chevy Guy is offline  
Old 05-27-2019, 08:19 AM
  #12  
oemtech
CF Senior Member
 
oemtech's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2016
Location: JARRELL TEXAS
Posts: 1,931
Received 101 Likes on 85 Posts
Default

If you're looking at a possible DD... then look at a Scat Pack. 485 hp and save some $$$
oemtech is online now  
Old 05-31-2019, 01:01 PM
  #13  
VNAMVET
CF Senior Member
 
VNAMVET's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 1999
Location: FL
Posts: 7,010
Received 106 Likes on 68 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by oemtech View Post
If you're looking at a possible DD... then look at a Scat Pack. 485 hp and save some $$$
That's exactly what I did. I ordered mine specifically the way I wanted.

Got a little over $5,000 off MSRP also.



VNAMVET is offline  
Old 06-15-2019, 05:17 AM
  #14  
Tennis & Golf Nut
CF Senior Member
 
Tennis & Golf Nut's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2014
Location: "Shitcago"
Posts: 8,739
Received 206 Likes on 86 Posts
Default

That Octane Red is beautiful.

I'm looking at getting almost the exact same car except the "1320" Edition. Basically a Baby Demon, transbrake, suspension for quarter mile, etc..

It should scratch the itch till they make a C8 Z06.

https://www.allpar.com/news/2019/05/...-claimed-44761

Running 11.4s bone stock down to the paper air filter


Originally Posted by VNAMVET View Post
That's exactly what I did. I ordered mine specifically the way I wanted.

Got a little over $5,000 off MSRP also.


Last edited by Tennis & Golf Nut; 06-15-2019 at 05:20 AM.
Tennis & Golf Nut is offline  
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hellcat Charger opinions wanted


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: