Notices
Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Will The C8 be America's Hypercar?

 
Old 06-29-2019, 10:02 AM
  #1  
C7s
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
C7s's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2013
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 857
Received 235 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Will The C8 be America's Hypercar?

Which Hypercar is your favorite?

C7s is offline  
Old 06-29-2019, 01:40 PM
  #2  
Josh M
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jun 2005
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 174
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19
Default

C8 base definitely won't. Even the hypothetical C8 ZR1 won't. It still boils down to its a Chevy.....they also make basic grocery getter cars.
Josh M is offline  
Old 06-29-2019, 02:37 PM
  #3  
TLS_Addict
CF Senior Member
 
TLS_Addict's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 5,839
Likes: 0
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
Default

Being a Chevy isn't the determing factor. Cost, power, handling, materials used (no junk) and exclusivity.

GM could buy many hyper car builders with little issue. If they put a Chevy symbol on it does that mean it is no longer a hyper car? Nope.
TLS_Addict is offline  
Old 07-02-2019, 02:56 PM
  #4  
FAUEE
CF Senior Member
 
FAUEE's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2012
Location: Hickory NC
Posts: 5,419
Received 555 Likes on 456 Posts
Default

Part of being a supercar or hypercar is the prestige. Corvette has been as fast as the true supercars of th day since the c4. But they're also from a mundane brand without the same prestige as a Ferrari or similar.

No drivetrain layout will change that. No powertrain will fix it. Nothing will put them in the same league. It's just like if McDonalds started carrying a Filet Mignon, you wouldnt say they're as good as Ruth's Chris.
FAUEE is offline  
Old 07-02-2019, 04:18 PM
  #5  
TLS_Addict
CF Senior Member
 
TLS_Addict's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 5,839
Likes: 0
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by FAUEE View Post
Part of being a supercar or hypercar is the prestige. Corvette has been as fast as the true supercars of th day since the c4. But they're also from a mundane brand without the same prestige as a Ferrari or similar.

No drivetrain layout will change that. No powertrain will fix it. Nothing will put them in the same league. It's just like if McDonalds started carrying a Filet Mignon, you wouldnt say they're as good as Ruth's Chris.
Your question has a lot of holes in it for a fair comparison. A filet is not a filet and the same said for cars.

However....if McDonald's were to buy out Ruth's Chris and out do nothing but change the name it's still the same quality.

GM can buy any leather, any materials, and design any engine anyone else in the world does. They choose not to. You focused only on the performance of the C4 and forward matching or exceeding the world, you didn't say the quality, craftsmanship, or materials used were on par.

It doesn't matter who the parent company is. Case in point is what exotic car company was owned by the group who built the Viper? The team from the exotic car group was used to develop the engine for the Viper. Do you think the prices of that exotic are watered down or the cars are that less iconic because of who owned them? Answer is no

Last edited by TLS_Addict; 07-02-2019 at 04:18 PM.
TLS_Addict is offline  
Old 07-02-2019, 06:08 PM
  #6  
TLS_Addict
CF Senior Member
 
TLS_Addict's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 5,839
Likes: 0
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
Default

But I understand if you dont agree.
TLS_Addict is offline  
Old 07-03-2019, 01:00 AM
  #7  
White Out
CF Senior Member
 
White Out's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,030
Likes: 0
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

If a C8 pulls up to the same service center as a Cobalt it will never be a hypercar.
White Out is offline  
Old 07-03-2019, 01:08 AM
  #8  
WICKEDFRC
CF Senior Member
 
WICKEDFRC's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2010
Location: Avatar designed by WickedFRC.
Posts: 12,354
Received 526 Likes on 288 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by White Out View Post
If a C8 pulls up to the same service center as a Cobalt it will never be a hypercar.
All the Hypercars I know of fall in a more prestigous category by price, exclusivity, or legacy.

Time will certainly tell is there's room for Chevrolet.
WICKEDFRC is offline  
Old 07-03-2019, 12:07 PM
  #9  
FAUEE
CF Senior Member
 
FAUEE's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2012
Location: Hickory NC
Posts: 5,419
Received 555 Likes on 456 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TLS_Addict View Post
Your question has a lot of holes in it for a fair comparison. A filet is not a filet and the same said for cars.

However....if McDonald's were to buy out Ruth's Chris and out do nothing but change the name it's still the same quality.

GM can buy any leather, any materials, and design any engine anyone else in the world does. They choose not to. You focused only on the performance of the C4 and forward matching or exceeding the world, you didn't say the quality, craftsmanship, or materials used were on par.

It doesn't matter who the parent company is. Case in point is what exotic car company was owned by the group who built the Viper? The team from the exotic car group was used to develop the engine for the Viper. Do you think the prices of that exotic are watered down or the cars are that less iconic because of who owned them? Answer is no
GM isnt buying Ferrari though. They're making an imitation of that sort of car. Again, this is McDonalds adding steak to their menu, not them buying out a steak restaurant.

I dont disagree that they couldnt buy whatever materials they want. The reality is though, THEY WON'T. Buyers willing to spend Ferrari money arent going to spend similar money for a Chevy. Look at how poorly the NSX sold, that was a HUGE flop, because if you can afford a 150k car, you can also afford a real Ferrari.

Anyone remember the VW Phaeton? That was VW building a car to a higher level than the S-Class, with a price to reflect. It was a total failure. It wasnt seen as a top tier luxury car, it was seen as a really big Passat. Branding means SO MUCH to consumers nowdays, they why people will spend 200 bucks on airpods vs 50 bucks for alternatives that do the same thing, likely even better. Chevy, they dont have that branding, and until they decide to stop selling anything but top end sports cars starting above 200k, they wont get that image. They would be better off starting their own little supercar division (or buying out a dead name like VW did with Bugatti)
FAUEE is offline  
Old 07-03-2019, 12:54 PM
  #10  
TLS_Addict
CF Senior Member
 
TLS_Addict's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 5,839
Likes: 0
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
Default

I agree with you on this will not be a hyper car but THEY could build one or have one by two different methods.

You said nothing would put them in the same league which is not true. You agree they COULD buy a supercar/hypercar maker, slap a GM badge on it and it it would still be what it was before with nothing but a 3M tape logo. lol
TLS_Addict is offline  
Old 07-03-2019, 02:29 PM
  #11  
TLS_Addict
CF Senior Member
 
TLS_Addict's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 5,839
Likes: 0
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
Default

GM would have to have an offshoot completely separate from what they have now with a new name for a car created by them to be even considered a hyper car.
TLS_Addict is offline  
Old 07-03-2019, 08:03 PM
  #12  
FAUEE
CF Senior Member
 
FAUEE's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2012
Location: Hickory NC
Posts: 5,419
Received 555 Likes on 456 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TLS_Addict View Post
I agree with you on this will not be a hyper car but THEY could build one or have one by two different methods.

You said nothing would put them in the same league which is not true. You agree they COULD buy a supercar/hypercar maker, slap a GM badge on it and it it would still be what it was before with nothing but a 3M tape logo. lol
Them being the C8 Corvette. They could buy a supercar maker, but that wouldnt make the C8 a hypercar.
FAUEE is offline  
Old 07-11-2019, 09:30 PM
  #13  
Josh M
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jun 2005
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 174
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19
Default

Originally Posted by White Out View Post
If a C8 pulls up to the same service center as a Cobalt it will never be a hypercar.
True story!

Also if you've ever been in the back of a Chevy dealership's garage and a Ferrari's dealership garage........the Ferrari dealership's garage floor is cleaner and more expensive than my home floor hah

Its not that Chevy can't build a car with hypercar capabilities, it just won't be a hypercar because of the many reasons listed. Lets say GM buys Pagani. Then I guess in that sense GM/Chevy could be producing a hypercar however you aren't going to be pulling your Zonda or Huayra to the Chevy dealership.

The C8 I'm sure will be a fantastic car and continue to offer the best performance for the dollar, but a hypercar it will never be.
Josh M is offline  
Old 07-13-2019, 10:41 PM
  #14  
proexpert
CF Senior Member
 
proexpert's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2002
Location: Harrisburg PA
Posts: 2,331
Received 337 Likes on 216 Posts
Default

Nothing ever made in that fu**ing plant in Kentucky will ever be Hyper anything. This is the best they can do in a $500 million new paint facility. They are pathetic car makers. They should be held accountable for this crap, but they won't.

Last edited by proexpert; 07-13-2019 at 11:23 PM.
proexpert is online now  
Old 07-14-2019, 02:02 PM
  #15  
SLO VETTE
CF Senior Member
 
SLO VETTE's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2001
Posts: 12,989
Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts
Default

Huh? Is that a Maaco special?

Originally Posted by proexpert View Post
Nothing ever made in that fu**ing plant in Kentucky will ever be Hyper anything. This is the best they can do in a $500 million new paint facility. They are pathetic car makers. They should be held accountable for this crap, but they won't.
SLO VETTE is offline  
Old 07-14-2019, 04:28 PM
  #16  
proexpert
CF Senior Member
 
proexpert's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2002
Location: Harrisburg PA
Posts: 2,331
Received 337 Likes on 216 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SLO VETTE View Post
Huh? Is that a Maaco special?
Brand new 2019 fresh out of Kentucky.
proexpert is online now  
Old 07-14-2019, 04:59 PM
  #17  
SLO VETTE
CF Senior Member
 
SLO VETTE's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2001
Posts: 12,989
Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts
Default

that's what i'd call not a good paint job. is there olive oil underneath the paint? sheesh. that has to be a fubar'd re-paint. did you take it back? how'd you get it resolved? did you actually drive the car off the lot like that?

Last edited by SLO VETTE; 07-14-2019 at 04:59 PM.
SLO VETTE is offline  
Old 07-14-2019, 05:45 PM
  #18  
proexpert
CF Senior Member
 
proexpert's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2002
Location: Harrisburg PA
Posts: 2,331
Received 337 Likes on 216 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SLO VETTE View Post
that's what i'd call not a good paint job. is there olive oil underneath the paint? sheesh. that has to be a fubar'd re-paint. did you take it back? how'd you get it resolved? did you actually drive the car off the lot like that?
Not my car. Just one of hundreds of examples from the C7 general section. Don't go there if you are a potential buyer like me. It ruined me. I'll never buy one now. Screw that.

Here are a few more examples after the "new" (lie) paint shop. LOL if you spend 1/2 billion on a paint booth and then paint cars like this you are a stupid ****.











Last edited by proexpert; 07-14-2019 at 05:46 PM.
proexpert is online now  
Old 07-14-2019, 05:47 PM
  #19  
SLO VETTE
CF Senior Member
 
SLO VETTE's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2001
Posts: 12,989
Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts
Default

why so many wet cars from those photos? taken from same lot? are those individual owners' cars?

that ugly rear and mickey mouse spoiler is doing a perfectly easy job of spoiling the c7 (z06) for me, paint issues aside.

Last edited by SLO VETTE; 07-14-2019 at 05:49 PM.
SLO VETTE is offline  
Old 07-14-2019, 05:54 PM
  #20  
proexpert
CF Senior Member
 
proexpert's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2002
Location: Harrisburg PA
Posts: 2,331
Received 337 Likes on 216 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SLO VETTE View Post
why so many wet cars from those photos? taken from same lot? are those individual owners' cars?

that ugly rear and mickey mouse spoiler is doing a perfectly easy job of spoiling the c7 (z06) for me, paint issues aside.
See this thread for all the facts including many ******* posts by me trying to get the issue resolved.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...corvettes.html

Last edited by proexpert; 07-14-2019 at 05:54 PM.
proexpert is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Will The C8 be America's Hypercar?


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: