Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

2014 Gen V Viper

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 04:52 PM
Cman01
Melting Slicks

Received 460 Likes on 311 Posts

Default 2014 Gen V Viper

I wondering if Dodge had a recall on this year Viper with the 8.4L V10, apparently those engines had bad oil consumption and Dodge ended up either fixing or replacing the entire engine in the vehicle.

If anyone knows of this and there is a recall bulletin can you post it up or link it so I can see exactly what it says pertaining to this issue? Thanks.

Tony
Old 07-29-2019, 11:05 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

R28/R29 recall notices were sent out to all 13/14 owners, I got mine in the mail, if you are a gen 5 owner and haven’t received this bulletin (it been a few years) just find a dodge dealer in your area who has an experienced Viper tech .
Some of these engines like to drink some oil, some don’t , mine likes to drink about a half a quart every few 1000 miles,(I change the oil every 3k anyway)I always check mine so I have t had any problems. I only had .the R29 recall which was them relocating some venting , the R28 are the ones that were built at the time some blocks were apparently not cleaned, if you fail that one, you get a new engine and 10 year warranty.
besides those few people with the dirty blocks the problem with some blown motors is the owners not checking the oil in their cars , this oil dipstick if aweful
Old 08-04-2019, 08:51 AM
Cman01
Melting Slicks

Received 460 Likes on 311 Posts

Ok, thanks for the explaination. I had an opportunity to purchase a 2014 Viper GTS with the Stryker red pkg. It was at a Dodge dealership and I was going to see it and probably buy it, but I was concerned about 2 service visits that occurred between Dec. 2016 and Jan. 2017. Being in Canada I was expecting the car to be stored during this time.

I inquired at the dealership about those 2 visits, they told me they were not sure why it was at a different dealership for a service visit during those times. I did more digging and came across an ad by the original owner in Feb. 2017 selling the vehicle and the ad mentioned an engine replacement in Jan. 2017. That totally explained to me why the car attended a service visit during the winter months.

Since the selling dealer did not disclose to me that the car has a different engine in it (and there's no way in hell they didn't know about this warranty work), I promptly cancelled my visit to the dealership to view the car and was no longer interested in the vehicle. I also found out later that after the original owner ad trying to sell the car he traded it and has spent time in various dealerships the last two years as a used car attempting to be sold.

Tony
Old 08-04-2019, 04:59 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

Yup. I'm trying to work a deal on a 2013 GTS. Warranty good through 2023.

Get notified of new replies

To 2014 Gen V Viper

Quick Reply: 2014 Gen V Viper