Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

thinking of buying a new 4runner trd offroad

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2020, 06:35 PM
Gnfanatic
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default thinking of buying a new 4runner trd offroad

Any of you guys own one? I want a rugged suv , body on frame. Tahoe is to much coin and I am worried 1/2 ton trucks are to big for everyday use. 1/4 ton are overpriced so looks like 4runner might be it. I can get $4500 off sticker.
Old 04-14-2020, 08:42 PM
IMXCITD
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 307 Likes on 290 Posts

I know several people w newish 4 runners and they love them. Good all around dependable well built vehicle
Old 04-14-2020, 09:02 PM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

Received 883 Likes on 478 Posts

They hold their value incredibly well and owners seem happy with them. I think they're pretty expensive but then again so is everything anymore.
Old 04-14-2020, 09:25 PM
JJS04
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran

Amazing offroad vehicles and definitely hold their value. Can you share how you are getting $4500 off sticker?
Old 04-15-2020, 03:55 PM
Gnfanatic
Drifting

MSRP is $44,349 for offroad TRD premium (Moonroof, running boards and leather). After going back and forth I got it for $39,005 before taxes and fee's. picking it up this Saturday.
Old 04-15-2020, 05:31 PM
Toddolie
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

I saw Toyota ads recently 90 deferred financing, plus 2 years free maintenance. As has already been said they are incredibly well built and hold their value extremely well and are reliable as a Timex. Just wish they were American owned and built. I know there are plants here in the US and yours was probably built here by American workers and all of the other BS excuses people give you and I am not chiding you for your purchase.

When I was younger my Godfather, ex Army guy who spent much of his time serving in Germany used to say "Toyota, from the people that brought you Pearl Harbor". I think it was a common saying back then, but still true today. He also used to tell me all the time how he should have bought an SL Mercedes Gull Wing when he had the chance for like $4500 since it seemed no one wanted them and they were available cheap. His biggest regret I believe.
Old 04-15-2020, 07:06 PM
Gnfanatic
Drifting

They are made in Japan. This is my first import and quite shocked I bought one. The UAW ruined the auto manufacturing in this country. When I picked up my Chevy Cruze back in 2014 I had a mechanic pick out the insulation between the dash and the windshield, You saw firewall insulation sticking up above the dash! I looked at a 2020 F150 stx with coyote motor. They installed a warped dashboard in it at the factory, it was so noticeable. Now I am hearing the Coyote motors are burning oil due to a change in the block design? No more sleeves, just a coating in bores?? The damn Tahoe is to much money so went for the 4runner.
Old 04-15-2020, 07:19 PM
Toddolie
Instructor

I don't disagree with anything you stated. UAW and some of their workers just don't care. I read this in a thread recently regarding plant workers taking a day off every week. When asked why they said because I can't work 3 days and make what I do working 4, or some **** like that paraphrasing. Basically they get paid too much and if they could **** the company over and work 3 days a week they would no matter how much it screwed up production or added expense to each cars cost. Ignorant uneducated lazy ******* people. Not all of them, mind you, and probably the least anywhere making Corvettes in BG, but still it only takes one, that person on the left side of the car putting in the dash that doesn't give a ****. Toyota, Honda, Mazda, and now Kia and Hyundai. Sickening. What do we have, Cadillac? Buick?
Old 04-25-2020, 10:33 AM
krackenvette
Race Director

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

Pics when you get it. I have never heard anyone complain of Toyota Runners. I have heard of the other ones, made here, have paint issues. Not 4Runners, as they are made in Japan, but the Tundras and supposedly Highlander hood and roof paint. Very rare issue though..
Old 04-25-2020, 11:02 AM
Toddolie
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gnfanatic
They are made in Japan. This is my first import and quite shocked I bought one. The UAW ruined the auto manufacturing in this country.
Did you happen to see the other day that the UAW endorsed Joe Biden? If that doesn't tell you all you need to know. **** the unions.
Old 04-30-2020, 06:50 AM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,942 Likes on 2,428 Posts

I'm a big fan of Toyota these days. Have a RAV4 4WD with the 270 HP V6 and love it. 209k miles and drives like it's new. You can't go wrong.
Old 04-30-2020, 12:15 PM
Toddolie
Instructor

We recently bought a Toyota Camry for my wife when we gifted her car to our son in the Air Force stationed at Hurlburt AFB in Fl. She sees vehicles as appliances and treats them as such. Just a means for A to B. Because of this I was able to locate her a one owner dealer trade in 2012 with only 21,000 miles on it. I figured she's gonna go out of her way to hit every pot hole with it so why not get something that'll last a while? Does everything she needs a vehicle to do and didn't break the bank and so far has been reliable as a Timex. It's so hard to beat a Toyota or Honda, that I believe it can't be done. Nissan is very good too. Pics when you get it please. I actually spent some time on the website configuring vehicles and colors and such.
Old 05-02-2020, 07:11 PM
Closer_2001
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Gnfanatic
Any of you guys own one? I want a rugged suv , body on frame. Tahoe is to much coin and I am worried 1/2 ton trucks are to big for everyday use. 1/4 ton are overpriced so looks like 4runner might be it. I can get $4500 off sticker.
Nothing like a 5 inch LCD and 1 USB port on a 2020 vehicle. Relic.

Looks cool. Don't understand why people get all ga-ga over them.

Not sure your day to day, but a Tahoe/1500 is exceptionally easy to drive daily.

Last edited by Closer_2001; 05-02-2020 at 10:23 PM.
Old 05-02-2020, 07:40 PM
krackenvette
Race Director

Originally Posted by Closer_2001
Nothing like a 5 inch LCD and 1 USB port on a 2020 vehicle. Relic.

Looks cool. Don't understand why people get all ga-ga over them.

Not sure your day to day, but a Tahoe is exceptionally easy to drive daily.
Tahoes are nice, but I think the reason people buy Toyotas 4Runner is because they dont like going back to the dealership...
My Chevy truck constantly had CEL, stupid stuff.. Just a POS, from 2009..
Old 05-06-2020, 06:32 PM
Medrivfast
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

They're a great vehicle and super reliable. Here's my 2017 4Runner TRD Offroad Premium 4wd
Old 05-08-2020, 04:51 PM
Capn Hook
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

As the saying goes, if you absolutely hate new tech in new vehicles, buy a new Toyota. They’re of the philosophy if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. My ‘92 Toyota pickup ranch truck has its original a/c compressor retro fitted to use r134. Waiting on the 22RE to die to LS swap it. But it won’t die.
Old 08-09-2020, 10:50 PM
Propspinner
Pro

Received 737 Likes on 282 Posts

Awesome. You will love it and it will hold its value. my son just bought the Tundra TRD Pro, same color. He got 4K off sticker and there is usually a 5k plus markup on them in Cal and Nevada where I’m from.
I just sold a Trail Team FJ for 5k more than I paid for it, one year later.

Get notified of new replies

To thinking of buying a new 4runner trd offroad

Old 08-11-2020, 01:03 AM
DanMan35
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 74 Posts

What's the difference between the TRD Offroad and TRD Pro? I briefly looked into a 4Runner TRD Pro but was amazed that the interior seems to be extremely outdated.

I'm also considering an off road type vehicle for my next car. I would prefer it to NOT be a HUGE truck because they are harder to maneuver on trails. Was thinking a smaller truck (Colorado, Tacoma) or maybe an SUV or Jeep.
Old 08-11-2020, 01:09 AM
krackenvette
Race Director

Originally Posted by DanMan35
What's the difference between the TRD Offroad and TRD Pro? I briefly looked into a 4Runner TRD Pro but was amazed that the interior seems to be extremely outdated.

I'm also considering an off road type vehicle for my next car. I would prefer it to NOT be a HUGE truck because they are harder to maneuver on trails. Was thinking a smaller truck (Colorado, Tacoma) or maybe an SUV or Jeep.
Pro has different and raised suspenion.
Also, one little thing, drivers seat raised about an inch.
Paint, wheels too.
Old 09-21-2020, 06:50 PM
4271sc
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

frames had a recall and replaced them for free under recall/warranty
my brother has one 2018 or 19 and he is a toyoda tech
he actually got to replace his own frame on his p/u
​​​​​the only other thing is updates w/am/fm radios.
also gas guzzler i think was the think he mention it.

Quick Reply: thinking of buying a new 4runner trd offroad