Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

There Goes GM's Theory on Why the Corvette Must be Mid-Engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2020, 07:25 AM
EasyLivin
Race Director

Received 3,160 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Default There Goes GM's Theory on Why the Corvette Must be Mid-Engine

...enter the Mercedes AMG GT Black Series

I love that the new C8 is mid-engine and it's truly a great car but Mercedes proved that phallic cars are still viable....

Current Nurburgring Standings...

Last edited by EasyLivin; 12-29-2020 at 08:58 AM.
Old 12-29-2020, 07:49 AM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

WOW, that car can fly. What a great driver too.
Old 12-29-2020, 08:11 AM
Aozora
Burning Brakes

Received 865 Likes on 365 Posts

Nice numbers and well done. Sure, it’s proof it doesn’t have to be a ME design to be a track star, but I’ll take a ME version of this car over the FE one any day if it were an option to check, E.g., 0-60 in 3.2s is on par or slower than the base model Stingray... If I had $500k to blow that is, in any case it wouldn’t be on a car, but to each their own.
Old 12-29-2020, 08:40 AM
EasyLivin
Race Director

The C8 Z06 absolutely must break into the 6's easily at the Ring...
Old 12-29-2020, 09:11 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,479 Likes on 2,817 Posts

After a lot of thinking, I came to realize that the C8 didn't go midengine for performance, it did it for buzz. It was another of the many failures of Mary Barra to run the company, she thought by going mid engine it would elevate the balrand to Ferrari level. Instead, it's made a few people excited and turned away a lot more.

The 0 to 60 time is a function of the dsg, not the mid engine. When you remove all shifting time, your acceleration improves a lot. But 0 to 60 is sort of irrelevant these days. 3.x seconds is still slower than the Tesla a feat bro's dad bought him. So why have that as your brag if it's slower than a big ugly electric car?

GM has been lucky to be part of one of the most active economies in recent years. Their insane levels of mismanagement would have definitely sunk them by now if it wasn't for the economy where you could see even their lackluster products and find buyers.
Old 12-29-2020, 09:26 AM
cfl70
Safety Car

Received 50 Likes on 19 Posts

Car is sick !
Old 12-29-2020, 09:37 AM
cfl70
Safety Car

Received 50 Likes on 19 Posts

WE HAVE A GT R IN THE SHOP TODAY. ONE OF MY FAVORITE CARS
Old 12-29-2020, 09:41 AM
acroy
Le Mans Master

Received 1,431 Likes on 858 Posts

That thing is NUTZ
Maybe I'll get one. Not the Black series, but the regular GT R, in a crazy color like lime green
Old 12-29-2020, 10:47 AM
2cnd Chance
Melting Slicks

Received 977 Likes on 533 Posts

There Goes GM's Theory on Why the Corvette Must be Mid-Engine”

Yes, my thoughts exactly!

The driver looked so composed, it appears easy to drive. Unlike other cars on the “Ring” where drivers are constantly sawing at the wheel.
Old 12-29-2020, 11:38 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
After a lot of thinking, I came to realize that the C8 didn't go midengine for performance, it did it for buzz. It was another of the many failures of Mary Barra to run the company, she thought by going mid engine it would elevate the balrand to Ferrari level. Instead, it's made a few people excited and turned away a lot more.

The 0 to 60 time is a function of the dsg, not the mid engine. When you remove all shifting time, your acceleration improves a lot. But 0 to 60 is sort of irrelevant these days. 3.x seconds is still slower than the Tesla a feat bro's dad bought him. So why have that as your brag if it's slower than a big ugly electric car?

GM has been lucky to be part of one of the most active economies in recent years. Their insane levels of mismanagement would have definitely sunk them by now if it wasn't for the economy where you could see even their lackluster products and find buyers.
Seriously?
"It turned away a lot more"?
On what planet?

Don't like the C8? Great, everyone has an opinion.
But don't just make stuff up...
Old 12-29-2020, 11:40 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Originally Posted by EasyLivin
...enter the Mercedes AMG GT Black Series

I love that the new C8 is mid-engine and it's truly a great car but Mercedes proved that phallic cars are still viable....

Current Nurburgring Standings...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWaz9HVgDeY
It is a great car. And, IMO, absolutely horrible looking. Made worse by all the tacked on aero.
And yes, you can get a FE car to perform like a hero...sadly, you have to tuck half the engine under the firewall and have 3 feet of front end before the radiator.

Last edited by jimmyb; 12-29-2020 at 11:43 AM.
Old 12-29-2020, 01:16 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Originally Posted by jimmyb
Seriously?
"It turned away a lot more"?
On what planet?

Don't like the C8? Great, everyone has an opinion.
But don't just make stuff up...
Sales numbers don't lie. They're selling as many 8s in a quarter as they were doing monthly before. Part of it is covid, sure, but that was happening before covid too. Real buyers don't like mid engine cars as much as front engine cars. Especially when you take away the manual transmission. You can't make a car that's divisive, takes away key features people like, and not expect it to be a failure, unless you're a GM executive.

It's not just C8, it's across the board. They focus on caddy sedans that haven't moved upmarket at all in the 20 years they've been trying. They let their full size trucks and SUVs languish and fall behind competitors. They take a great product like the baby duramax and let it die on the vine, and fail to capitalize on the diesel Colorado. Let alone the continued shrinking of camaro to the point of it being useless.

Last edited by FAUEE; 12-29-2020 at 01:20 PM.
Old 12-29-2020, 03:50 PM
krackenvette
Race Director

Received 163 Likes on 110 Posts

The MB is just ugly though. The Porsche 911 and Lamborghini are much more appealing cars on that list.
I have seen the AMGs in real life, they need to square the trunk off or something. It just looks out of proportion..
Yes, it can fly with ultra sticky tires ( DOT legal I know), but its just ugly
Old 12-29-2020, 03:52 PM
vetteish
Le Mans Master

Received 485 Likes on 387 Posts

Damn that car can fly! I don’t think it’s ugly
Old 12-29-2020, 06:02 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,551 Likes on 4,279 Posts

And how much does that cost?

It's pretty close to a street legal race car. I'm sure a C7.R can go faster than an M-E street car, too. A $65K front engine street car? Not so much.
Old 12-29-2020, 06:04 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Originally Posted by FAUEE
Sales numbers don't lie. They're selling as many 8s in a quarter as they were doing monthly before. Part of it is covid, sure, but that was happening before covid too. Real buyers don't like mid engine cars as much as front engine cars. Especially when you take away the manual transmission. You can't make a car that's divisive, takes away key features people like, and not expect it to be a failure, unless you're a GM executive.

It's not just C8, it's across the board. They focus on caddy sedans that haven't moved upmarket at all in the 20 years they've been trying. They let their full size trucks and SUVs languish and fall behind competitors. They take a great product like the baby duramax and let it die on the vine, and fail to capitalize on the diesel Colorado. Let alone the continued shrinking of camaro to the point of it being useless.
OK. Whatever you want to come up with. There was also a strike...a slow ramp up to production, then COVID...
How do YOU explain C8's selling for $10K - $20K OVER STICKER for USED ONES?

While you are a "REAL" buyer, there are plenty of other "REAL" buyers that are waiting for C8's. The fact that the 2021 model year is mostly spoken for (call a dealer NOW and ask when he can deliver a C8) proves how wrong you are.
And despite strike/Covid, GM sold 20,000 C8's in about 7 months. The C7 did 37,000 in a FULL year in 2014.
Old 12-29-2020, 06:54 PM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 222 Posts

I think the only reason the C8 went mid-engine is because it is the only way, economically, that GM could engineer a sports car chassis capable of using normal, hybrid, and all electric drive-trains.

Last edited by PCMusicGuy; 12-29-2020 at 06:54 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To There Goes GM's Theory on Why the Corvette Must be Mid-Engine

Old 12-29-2020, 07:29 PM
EasyLivin
Race Director

It's almost cartoonish like the old Cheetah race cars... I have to admit that I like it... Nothing screams exotic like unusual proportions...

Old 12-29-2020, 07:29 PM
krackenvette
Race Director

Received 163 Likes on 110 Posts

Mid engine is the super cars real calling.. It allows engineers to balance a car better, and show their mad engineering skills. GM has so many vehicles to cater to so many different purposes. just think it all they had to do was a sedan, sports car and an SUV..
Old 12-29-2020, 07:46 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Originally Posted by jimmyb
OK. Whatever you want to come up with. There was also a strike...a slow ramp up to production, then COVID...
How do YOU explain C8's selling for $10K - $20K OVER STICKER for USED ONES?

While you are a "REAL" buyer, there are plenty of other "REAL" buyers that are waiting for C8's. The fact that the 2021 model year is mostly spoken for (call a dealer NOW and ask when he can deliver a C8) proves how wrong you are.
And despite strike/Covid, GM sold 20,000 C8's in about 7 months. The C7 did 37,000 in a FULL year in 2014.
Most used cars are going for well over new prices. Cars, trucks, SUVs. Used Explorer STs with 30k are going for over MSRP. It's a weird time. For sure.

We can make excuses l, talk about how 21 is sold out, whatever we want... That doesn't change that it was a sales flop. They likely would have sold more cars had they extended the C7. That's a bad design change, and more proof if inept leadership at the top of GM.

Quick Reply: There Goes GM's Theory on Why the Corvette Must be Mid-Engine