Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

If you've driven/owned an exotic - far more gratifying than a Corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2021, 12:56 AM
brassplyer
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts
Default If you've driven/owned an exotic - far more gratifying than a Corvette?

If you've ever owned or driven a supercar enough to form an impression, do you find the driving experience to be far more gratifying than driving a strong-running Corvette? I would exclude smog-motor, "Disco" era Corvettes for obvious reasons.

I've personally never sat in a Lambo, Ferrari, Porsche Turbo, Veyron etc.
Old 05-29-2021, 06:12 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Im sure the repair bills out of warranty are bigger .....

the interiors of exotics tend to be perceived as of a higher quality and aluminum bodies can be built with slightly smaller panel gas as the vehicles with composite body panels require slightly greater space for expansion in heat etc.

that said the c8 s wicked acceleration times to 60 mph do exceed many exotics capability.

the c8 still has its rarity factor as production has not keep up or ever met demand.

the c8 still has not even almost two years depreciated. Owners are still getting tens of thousands over msrp if they want to sell.

the c8 has been such a wonderful ownership experience I wouldnt even consider selling the car. Dont need more money. Just want to have fun and for that the c8 delivers in spades.
Old 05-29-2021, 08:52 AM
clearwaterms
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

The value proposition of sports cars like all luxury goods subscribe to the law of diminishing returns. Depending on what is important to you a Corvette which has always been a numbers car is likely very close to the point of maximum yield.

Think Timex vs. Rolex or Polk vs. Wilson Audio or louis vuitton vs. Coach.
Old 05-29-2021, 09:33 AM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Im sure the repair bills out of warranty are bigger .....

the interiors of exotics tend to be perceived as of a higher quality and aluminum bodies can be built with slightly smaller panel gas as the vehicles with composite body panels require slightly greater space for expansion in heat etc.

that said the c8 s wicked acceleration times to 60 mph do exceed many exotics capability.

the c8 still has its rarity factor as production has not keep up or ever met demand.

the c8 still has not even almost two years depreciated. Owners are still getting tens of thousands over msrp if they want to sell.

the c8 has been such a wonderful ownership experience I wouldnt even consider selling the car. Dont need more money. Just want to have fun and for that the c8 delivers in spades.
He didn't ask repair bill. He didn't ask depreciation. He didn't ask about the one single metric (0-60).

I've only been in a few supercars/exotics but if I'm comparing them to the Corvette of the same year the exotic just has a different feel. Everything feels more solid, the sound is better (stock for stock) and the fit finish is better. I still loved all 6 of my Corvettes and never felt bad about having one.

Last edited by TLS_Addict; 05-29-2021 at 09:34 AM.
Old 05-29-2021, 09:52 AM
SLO VETTE
Race Director

Received 326 Likes on 188 Posts

Once you get over the concept that what you're driving might be worth more than a beachfront condo, it's just another car with a different exhaust note and interior controls. Exciting, well...sure!
Old 05-29-2021, 04:26 PM
TheRobSJ
Drifting

Received 688 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by brassplyer
If you've ever owned or driven a supercar enough to form an impression, do you find the driving experience to be far more gratifying than driving a strong-running Corvette? I would exclude smog-motor, "Disco" era Corvettes for obvious reasons.

I've personally never sat in a Lambo, Ferrari, Porsche Turbo, Veyron etc.
I've got plenty of experience with supercars and exotics. This quote right here more or less sums it up...

Originally Posted by clearwaterms

It's about feeling "special" really. If you drive around in a $400k supercar, of course the performance is just off the charts, but it's not like you're always on the track exploiting all that performance. Or forget performance. Maybe a $400k rolls Royce could be used as an example. So just trudging around town in said $400k car versus a typical appliance like a Camry? They both do the same job. A to B. Just like a Timex versus a Rolex, they both tell time. But to those who know what they're looking at, they know it's expensive, rare, and involves a lot more engineering and craftsmanship. Even if the only person looking at it is you.

I've got a pretty "special" car myself, though only a Corvette. It turns a lot of heads. You don't see them too often if ever. And there's a feeling of feeling like the big man on campus when I'm driving around. But even if I just go look at it in the garage, it still makes me feel good. "Wow...I can't believe I get to have something like that" is usually what I think.

That said, when I drive some of my customers cars ( I have been in million dollar cars)...I get it. Yeah my Corvette is special, but this thing is really something.

I put on a nice watch versus my Apple watch. The Apple watch actually tells time more accurately and has far more utility than the Swiss made gloriously overpriced thing that is essentially jewelry which also happens to tell time. That's just really for my own benefit. I'm not walking around the mall with a giant sign over my head with bold letters screaming how much money I'm wearing on my wrist. For me, it's knowing what's inside that watch. How much precision was involved to make it. There's a tiny little machine with lots of moving parts doing a job and I can wear it. Just makes me feel happy.

Last edited by TheRobSJ; 05-29-2021 at 04:28 PM.
Old 05-30-2021, 12:50 PM
newskatercat
Drifting

Received 116 Likes on 76 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

I love Corvettes, and looking forward to a C8 in the future. Meanwhile this Jaguar F Type, SVR is pretty crazy! Not an exotic, but with 575 hp, awd, and great looks, that aren't very commonplace, it's quite the car!

Old 05-30-2021, 01:07 PM
passmenow
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

What would be as exciting at a heavy sports car on street tires on a public highway?
The old race car at 2500lbs, 740hp with 14 inch wide rear slicks, 13 inch front slicks and a dog ring gear box on a roval.
Unfortunately I can't cruise it on the street or to a cars and coffee, dilligaf lol.
Everything new is just a computer on wheels, why drive something nice when no one else is going to respect it in the mall parking lot.
Also can't accept the near $200 an hour labor rates at the new exotic car dealerships.
Race cars and a C6 ZO6 all I need.

Last edited by passmenow; 05-30-2021 at 02:38 PM.
Old 05-30-2021, 02:46 PM
rgregory
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

I have had my Gallardo since 2008 the main difference between it and the new Vettes I have owned is that I still love driving it like the first day I got it, compared to my Vettes I much prefer the seating position of this car without the long hood. Actually it is better than when I got it because I removed the stupid AWD system and the front end feels much lighter. I will order a Z06 in a few months as I am very glad Vettes went to mid engine. I do own a 1970 Vette and I love it too as a cruiser but it isn't really go fast car.

Old 05-30-2021, 03:12 PM
JasonAndrew
Safety Car

Received 270 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by clearwaterms
The value proposition of sports cars like all luxury goods subscribe to the law of diminishing returns. Depending on what is important to you a Corvette which has always been a numbers car is likely very close to the point of maximum yield.

for purses?
Old 05-30-2021, 05:31 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JasonAndrew
for purses?
They hang nicely from the wall of buttons.
Old 05-30-2021, 07:50 PM
pappy.72
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

I can speak on an older year comparison. I currently have a 1990 ZR-1 and a 1989 Ferrari 328 GTS. The Corvette is faster and handles better but the Ferrari is more fun to drive. A true go-kart with manual steering, gated shifter, super low to the ground, tiny little sports car. The Ferrari has that great smell of leather on the inside and the styling is second to none. Such an iconic exotic look. One difference is that people give you a lot of attention which I don’t like at all. I can’t even get gas without someone talking to me which is awkward. The Vette is great but it just isn’t as exotic and unique which is part of the fun with the Ferrari. My Vette is my toy that I go out and drive like a bat out of hell and the Ferrari is my back road twisty road car that won’t get me in too much trouble. Best of worth worlds for me.
Old 05-30-2021, 08:56 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Originally Posted by pappy.72
I can speak on an older year comparison. I currently have a 1990 ZR-1 and a 1989 Ferrari 328 GTS. The Corvette is faster and handles better but the Ferrari is more fun to drive. A true go-kart with manual steering, gated shifter, super low to the ground, tiny little sports car. The Ferrari has that great smell of leather on the inside and the styling is second to none. Such an iconic exotic look. One difference is that people give you a lot of attention which I don’t like at all. I can’t even get gas without someone talking to me which is awkward. The Vette is great but it just isn’t as exotic and unique which is part of the fun with the Ferrari. My Vette is my toy that I go out and drive like a bat out of hell and the Ferrari is my back road twisty road car that won’t get me in too much trouble. Best of worth worlds for me.
Not quite the same for me as my Viper is not an exotic but an American Sports car (to me). The Viper gets a lot of attention. I've had people take video, hang out windows, stop me for their kid to take a pic with the car. The Camaro is louder, faster, and gets some attention but not the same as my Viper though it's faster and just meaner. lol
Old 05-31-2021, 12:09 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts

Wanting something is always better than owning something.
Old 05-31-2021, 01:37 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Originally Posted by LTC Z06

I'll be sure to let the homeless know this.
Old 05-31-2021, 02:37 PM
brassplyer
Le Mans Master

I dunno, I've been pretty tickled actually owning my supercharged C3.
Old 05-31-2021, 07:28 PM
TheRobSJ
Drifting

Received 688 Likes on 375 Posts

These are the words of someone who bought a boat or some giant RV.

Get notified of new replies

To If you've driven/owned an exotic - far more gratifying than a Corvette?

Old 05-31-2021, 10:46 PM
Capn Hook
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

There’s a reason they’re called exotic cars!
Old 06-03-2021, 09:41 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,480 Likes on 2,818 Posts

There's a lot of truth to this. We see it on the forum all the time, people dream of all the fun they'll have in a Corvette. They dream of sunset cruises, idolizing stares, and a presence of owning the streets. What they don't expect is that their old backs won't like it, they can't get down into it, they'll get smoked at a red light by a srt jeep, and that they'll hardly end up driving it because of fear.

I remember a friend in college had it real bad for this one girl. He talked about her all the time, thought they'd be such a great fit, all that stuff.. He after several months worked up the courage to ask her out and she said yes. They dated for a few weeks before he figured out she was a vapid, self obsessed girl that made him miserable. They broke up shortly thereafter and he was much happier. So it's not just cars., haha. The dream is almost always better than the reality.
Old 06-03-2021, 11:52 AM
brassplyer
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by FAUEE
they'll get smoked at a red light by a srt jeep
This Vette wasn't!

Last edited by brassplyer; 06-03-2021 at 11:52 AM.