Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

EVs keep growing as a market share

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2024, 09:25 PM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default EVs keep growing as a market share

There is a lot of anti-EV propaganda, but the data shows that we passed the tipping point and adoption continues to gather speed.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/financi...387484704/amp/

https://corporate.walmart.com/news/2...arging-network

https://caredge.com/guides/electric-...e_and_Sales_US
Old 03-18-2024, 10:42 PM
Bald Guy
Racer

Received 158 Likes on 92 Posts

Good to know, appreciate you sharing. I still don't see me as an EV owner anytime soon.
Old 03-19-2024, 08:32 AM
cfl70
Safety Car

Received 50 Likes on 19 Posts

I think ev sales will see steady growth as battery charge times get quicker and battery tech/milage increases
evs are not going away
Old 03-19-2024, 12:20 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,223 Likes on 833 Posts

I keep reading the EV apex point has been reached and is now receding now that the more dense peeps see the reality and the many faults of the so called EV world...Gas well never die on our watch...Anything else is fake news...

Last edited by hawkgfr; 03-19-2024 at 01:51 PM.
Old 03-19-2024, 12:33 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,505 Likes on 2,829 Posts

EV sales are really driven by Tesla cutting prices on the model y and model 3. You can buy a model y for like, less than a Ford escape now. For people who don't drive long trips, but have a sustained long commute, it's a no brainer.

That said, that's only a certain percentage of people. Someone with a short commute but does long road trips like me is far better served by a PHEV than a full up BEV.
​​​​​
BEV will maintain a piece of the pie, but the size of that pie does have limits. But as long as Tesla can keep dumping them at rock bottom prices, they'll sell decently well.
Old 03-19-2024, 01:53 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Originally Posted by FAUEE
EV sales are really driven by Tesla cutting prices on the model y and model 3. You can buy a model y for like, less than a Ford escape now. For people who don't drive long trips, but have a sustained long commute, it's a no brainer.

That said, that's only a certain percentage of people. Someone with a short commute but does long road trips like me is far better served by a PHEV than a full up BEV.
​​​​​
BEV will maintain a piece of the pie, but the size of that pie does have limits. But as long as Tesla can keep dumping them at rock bottom prices, they'll sell decently well.

China sells a lot of them too...really Tesla's only competition...everyone else combined doesn't even move the needle...
Old 03-19-2024, 04:27 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,153 Posts

I just completed my latest car shopping adventure. Was looking for probably my last standard. I visited many dealerships and the number of EVs gathering dust is incredible. Since each sales person knew I was not an EV customer I got some really really scary opinions, dealers being forced to take them etc. Local Mercedes dealer has them piled up. Cadillac, Lexus, Nissan, Ford no one is moving them.

I love Lucid. Was seriously considering one 16 months ago. I'd be pissed, just like Tesla if the new car prices kept dropping and I lost value due to the fires sales. On BAT, Lucids that stickered at 150 160 with only a few 1000 miles are going for 80 some.
Old 03-19-2024, 04:33 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Originally Posted by Greg00Coupe
I just completed my latest car shopping adventure. Was looking for probably my last standard. I visited many dealerships and the number of EVs gathering dust is incredible. Since each sales person knew I was not an EV customer I got some really really scary opinions, dealers being forced to take them etc. Local Mercedes dealer has them piled up. Cadillac, Lexus, Nissan, Ford no one is moving them.

I love Lucid. Was seriously considering one 16 months ago. I'd be pissed, just like Tesla if the new car prices kept dropping and I lost value due to the fires sales. On BAT, Lucids that stickered at 150 160 with only a few 1000 miles are going for 80 some.

Yes and there is a lot more room for ev's to drop....**** show at 11...
Old 03-19-2024, 05:02 PM
MitchSpence
Drifting

Received 312 Likes on 156 Posts

Believe nothing that you read and only half of what you see.
Old 03-19-2024, 07:54 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Originally Posted by Greg00Coupe

I'd be pissed if I spent that much on a Lucid for them to go belly.up shortly.

But yeah automakers were forced to make EVs, dealers were forced to take them, the only.piece of the chain missing is consumers haven't been forced to take.them, yet.

China does though. They force people.to buy a new one every couple years so they can keep their smoke and mirrors economy going.
Old 03-19-2024, 09:06 PM
Capn Hook
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

EV’s will further dwindle in sales as subsidies recede.
Old 03-19-2024, 10:48 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

China has empty fields full of EV's. It's a false production for them. Saw some YouTube vids of people going to the fields with brand new cars just sitting.

If not mistaken Hybrids are on the rise more than EV's. Which I get and understand for the majority of people. Tesla is absolutely the push for increased sales with their price cuts.

​​​​​There is "propaganda" for at least as much as there is against. lol

Last edited by TLS_Addict; 03-19-2024 at 10:59 PM.
Old 03-19-2024, 11:02 PM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by hawkgfr
I keep reading the EV apex point has been reached and is now receding now that the more dense peeps see the reality and the many faults of the so called EV world...Gas well never die on our watch...Anything else is fake news...
I am sure gas won't die, heck, carburetors are alive and well, but after owning an EV, I can't see going back to gas except for a toy car, or as an offroad/backup solution if I lived even further out. I live in BFE nowhere in the Midwest where they literally voted to just have a 4 day school week due to ability to pay teachers, and charging and range are so far from an issue it makes me lol at the online swill.
Old 03-19-2024, 11:05 PM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TLS_Addict
China has empty fields full of EV's. It's a false production for them. Saw some YouTube vids of people going to the fields with brand new cars just sitting.

If not mistaken Hybrids are on the rise more than EV's. Which I get and understand for the majority of people. Tesla is absolutely the push for increased sales with their price cuts.

​​​​​There is "propaganda" for at least as much as there is against. lol
China is a bad example. They make skyscrapers from modeling clay nearly, lol! Corruption and graft are on another level there.
Old 03-19-2024, 11:06 PM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Capn Hook
EV’s will further dwindle in sales as subsidies recede.
Subsidies are gone for many of the desirable ones. Sales are fine.
https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/kia-ev6-sales-figures/

EV6 lost all incentive in late 2022 (Aug?) and it did have a minor local effect on the sale timeline. Also, keep in mind interest rates have skyrocketed and fuel has come down...and yet comparing 2023 to 2022, as well as MoM...
Old 03-20-2024, 02:18 AM
hawkgfr
Race Director

If I didn't know better I'd think you were making a play for the head EV slurp position.....

I'm so glad you love your car.....but in the end its still a KIA.... You are not ever going to make many EV sales here and Kia stopped making the only car worth buying last year also.....The Stinger.
Old 03-20-2024, 03:35 AM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by hawkgfr
If I didn't know better I'd think you were making a play for the head EV slurp position.....

I'm so glad you love your car.....but in the end its still a KIA.... You are not ever going to make many EV sales here and Kia stopped making the only car worth buying last year also.....The Stinger.
I mean yeah, it's mainstream, and not like a Ferrari or whatever, but Kia making it is actually a huge upside in my book. For example, alignments cost $150 instead of $500 like an Audi, etc. Things like Kia, Chevrolet, Ford, etc. are not brand taxed.

1) Massive R&D budget. eGMP was a clean slate design, not an ICE adapted to EV.
2) Whose who of the auto industry (They bought BMW's M group suspension engineer lead, Audi's design interior team, etc).
3) Sole source country product. (The car is 99% Korean, it isn't Mexican American Canadian from suppliers all over the continent like a Ford or GM product, and it isn't German designed but made in Mexico like an Audi, this allows for tighter QAQC.)

I've never cared for branding or badging, and tend to look beyond it to the actual product. That said, this is a Chevrolet forum, so I don't see the point in arguing brand prestige. As to sales, I'm not invested in Kia, I invest more like Buffett, in raw materials, etc.

I have owned a bunch of different products (Toyota, Mazda, Acura, Infiniti, Nissan, Chevrolet, Jeep, Volvo, Ford, etc) and the quality of this car is equal to the best of them when I measure paint thickness uniformity, panel alignment, etc. It's obviously extremely well assembled.

The stinger was a good car as well, for sure, but this turns it up to 11 and eliminates the need for me to buy gasoline. It's over 6 seconds quicker around the Lightning Lap (VIR) even though they ran the EV6 GT on Goodyear tires that everyone is scared to death of (they're terrible) and the Stinger on PS4's. Then we get to the acceleration, lol!

Get notified of new replies

To EVs keep growing as a market share

Old 03-20-2024, 04:49 AM
z06inVB
Race Director

Received 1,110 Likes on 523 Posts

Porsche just rolled out the EV Macan. More expensive than ICE and weighs over 800 lbs more. Supposedly the Boxster EV is next even though dealers could not get enough allocations of ICE units to satisfy deposits. Interest in the EV Boxster has been minimal at best. The answer to a question no one asked.
Old 03-20-2024, 06:45 AM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by z06inVB
Porsche just rolled out the EV Macan. More expensive than ICE and weighs over 800 lbs more. Supposedly the Boxster EV is next even though dealers could not get enough allocations of ICE units to satisfy deposits. Interest in the EV Boxster has been minimal at best. The answer to a question no one asked.
https://www.carsales.com.au/editorial/details/porsche-macan-set-for-record-sales-with-switch-to-ev-144384/

https://www.ajc.com/news/business/porsche-unveils-its-north-american-sales-leader-the-macan-suv-as-an-ev/RZQCBGYULJCJ5ALHTO3BGPONOA/
Old 03-20-2024, 08:50 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Originally Posted by z06inVB
Yeah, Macan EV is probably the most poorly thought through product out there. They're gonna have a hard time selling them outside of places with oppressive gas tax regimes like NY and CA.

FWIW, EV6 sold 18.8k units last year, up 800 units from 2022. Not exactly setting the market on fire, especially considering that Kia paid for a lot of social media buzz when it launched the GT model. Yes, interest rates went up, but incentives did too and there's cars on the lots now.

EV adoption will likely match the level of oppression the state government does. Deeply blue states that have huge gas taxes (NY has like a whole dollar a gallon more tax on gas than FL- maybe more in NYC,.parts of CA have closer to $3 a gallon more tax) will probably see EV adoption grow faster as they push people out of ICE economically. One of the first EV adopters I knew was a sales guy from a previous company in SF Bay area. He did it out of necessity, for him to be able to afford a house he had to move 1.5 hours away from San Jose and.commute in every day. At $5 a gallon or more, he'd have been in the poor house simply due to his state's failures. So he went EV as his only means to actually survive. He was a well paid professional too, the living conditions in CA for people who don't have a wealthy family paying their way are simply unbelievable. I met a mid level manager at Google in his 30s that split a 3 bedroom apartment with 2 other couples (6 good incomes to afford.their apartment). He said some of his employees will have 3-5 roommates in their literal bedrooms. They buy bunk beds and basically make them into little barracks, and those people were STILL drowning under the cost of living there. Truly, CA is the largest failure of a state we have ever seen, so much going for it but they found ways to royally screw it up.