Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

AMG SL63 & M8 Competition owners - Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2024, 05:16 PM
24RiptideBlue
Burning Brakes

Received 807 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by 3LZR21U
I want an "everything" car. It's an unrealistic goal--but still possibly obtainable. There is an array of "ideal" factors I all consider; the best car is the one that accomplishes the most. AWD, power, convertible, cost, small lift. And just because the Sterrato and Dakar are hardtop--doesn't mean that they have to be; the models they are based upon do have convertible variants--which do not require any additional reinforcement.

And yes, it's going to be my daily. And the reason for those power levels is because I do not wish to heavily modify something else to get the requisite performance (making it unreliable). Nor is there a compelling case for compromising on power when settling for a lower amount opens up an slew of off-road specific options for far cheaper.

I had hope for a 2-door bronco being offered with the 3.5L ecoboost from the F-150. But then Ford dorked it up by making even the 2-door chassis too damn long--and offering a much more anemic engine for the Bronco Raptor; and then insult to injury by only offering that on the 4-doors.

Now I'm just curious because I've read/watched reviews of the M8 & SL63. And while they're a not quite as quick, they have cargo capacity, performance, luxury, etc. Giving up rally style lift (potential) and a HTC might be worth it in order to pay half the purchase price (used) and get features like ambient lighting (and a lack of OnStar fuckery).

So now I'm trying to explore ownership costs on these 2 specific models. That will likely be the determining factor. GM is doing its damnedest to convince me not to buy an ER new.
A lot to unpack here….

First an RS350 is nothing like a C43 AMG…. Regardless if certain specs are close. The RS350 is an extremely capable “rally car with a license plate and AC”. It’s fast, handles well and is pretty high strung…. The C43 is Mercedes performance based luxury coupe. Nothing against Fords but they are not built like a Mercedes… they can’t be based on cost alone. The C43 (I’m biased because I’m on my second and I can’t find anything to replace it for what I want to spend) has AMG low end torque and although both are Turbo motors the AMG V6 is a smoother engine vs the Ford four banger…

I am biased for the C43 but although on paper it seems down on power… the reviews are almost all positive and every review compliments the power and says the car is very fast which is what I have always found. I’m very confident the C43 hangs with any 400HP plus vehicle.

I love cars and study the entire industry. I’m interested in anything with pistons and petrol however your ask for 500HP+, AWD and Convertible is not a common configuration.

In an effort to widen the pool of cars I would also look at 0-60 and 1/4 mile times as well as pure HP numbers. Or HP per ton. The current forced induction German cars are amazingly fast. Whatever you choose forced induction is going to be good for performance with the low end torque. If you wanted a sedan you can’t get more performance than an AWD M5. Those cars are faster that super cars a decade ago.

I need to poke around and get some ideas and data….

Last edited by 24RiptideBlue; 05-10-2024 at 02:27 PM.
Old 05-07-2024, 11:35 PM
3LZR21U
Melting Slicks

Received 979 Likes on 641 Posts

M5 would be near the top of my list if I were looking for a sedan. Though I would probably end up with a Charger hellcat due to cost (if I can stomach RWD). And a CT6 V is quite rare--thus probably ruling it out (big fan of the LTA engine); 875 total made. And I'd have to worry about how bespoke the engine is and parts/costs/replacement.
Old 05-08-2024, 07:58 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,585 Likes on 2,865 Posts

The ct6VBW uses the same motor as the Escalade V, Camaro ZL1, c7 Z06 and zr1, and is really an LT1 with a blower. Nothing bespoke about it.
Old 05-08-2024, 09:02 AM
NW-99SS
Safety Car

Received 715 Likes on 372 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Originally Posted by FAUEE
The ct6VBW uses the same motor as the Escalade V, Camaro ZL1, c7 Z06 and zr1, and is really an LT1 with a blower. Nothing bespoke about it.
You are thinking of the CT5 V Blackwing LT4 - the CT6 V BW has what is considered the reverse head design of the upcoming ZR1 but at only 4.2L of displacement - twin turbo in a "hot V" configuration (the ZR1 will feature the turbos in a standard location alongside of the engine).
Old 05-08-2024, 10:24 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Originally Posted by NW-99SS
You are thinking of the CT5 V Blackwing LT4 - the CT6 V BW has what is considered the reverse head design of the upcoming ZR1 but at only 4.2L of displacement - twin turbo in a "hot V" configuration (the ZR1 will feature the turbos in a standard location alongside of the engine).
Oh, yeah, I forgot they even made those

Yeah you couldn't pay me to take one of those. That's asking for an unrepairable vehicle lol.
Old 05-08-2024, 12:50 PM
24RiptideBlue
Burning Brakes

M5 would be near the top of my list if I were looking for a sedan. Though I would probably end up with a Charger hellcat due to cost (if I can stomach RWD). And a CT6 V is quite rare--thus probably ruling it out (big fan of the LTA engine); 875 total made. And I'd have to worry about how bespoke the engine is and parts/costs/replacement.
When I owned my C63s I test drove Hellcats twice (two different cars) and although at the time I thought my RWD C63s was a handful… the C63s was a finely tuned performance machine compared to a Hellcat…. I love Hellcats, I think they are nuts in the best way possible but the chassis for that car is based on a Mercedes E Class (from when Mercedes owned Chrysler…)….from the 90’s…. No ****…. It was never meant to deal with 800… 1,000HP…. Whenever I hit the gas on the Hellcat I thought the car was going to fly off the road…. Hellcats are awesome but I have been spoiled by modern German chassis.

If you drove a Hellcat and M5 back to back… unless you’re launching your drifting career you will want to get back in the M5…. I love driving fast but I have to feel confident the car can do what I want and not kill me…

Said another way…. I love fast cars that have the power to get me in trouble….. but also have the brakes, tires and suspension to get me out of trouble before something bad happens….and to all the video stars who crash their car trying to get the rear end loose…. LIFT…. the second it starts going wrong…. LIFT…. and try again. 😁

Last edited by 24RiptideBlue; 05-08-2024 at 02:35 PM.
Old 05-08-2024, 01:20 PM
24RiptideBlue
Burning Brakes

Here’s an example of looking at performance vs specs…. You have a 500HP requirement… which is hard to find in an AWD convertible…

Picking out of thin air I chose a 2014 Bentley Continental GT Speed convertible that meets all three criteria (AWD, 500HP, Convertible)

the Speed is a W12 engine

616 HP
590 ft/lb of torque
0-60 4.2 seconds
1/4 mile 12.4 seconds

If you choose the V8 Continental

521 HP
502 ft/lb torque
0-60 4.5 seconds
Didn’t see a 1/4 mile time….

So take those 500HP models vs my sub 400HP C43 AMG

362 HP
384 ft/lb torque
0-60 4.1 seconds
1/4 mile 12.7 seconds

More than once a Mustang or something else “hot” pulls up next to me at a light and by the time we hit 50mph they are two car lengths back 🤷‍♂️.. I have read the Mercedes 9 speed transmission has a lot to do with AMG performance because the first three gears are really low and it shifts quickly which give these cars amazing 0-60 performance…. which is 90-95% of street driving… I can’t remember the last time I drove a hundred mph.

adding some prices from my usual rigorous in-depth analysis (meaning the first things I see in 10 seconds of searching 🤷‍♂️)

2014-16 Bentley W12 - $100k - $115k
2014-16 Bentley V8 - $68k - $88k

2018-19 C43 AMG $30 - $38k

Last edited by 24RiptideBlue; 05-08-2024 at 02:23 PM.
Old 05-08-2024, 02:25 PM
MidLifeinMI
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And all would get toasted by the F-Type R (550HP) - 3.5 sec 0-60, 11.7 sec 1/4.
Old 05-08-2024, 02:45 PM
24RiptideBlue
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MidLifeinMI
And all would get toasted by the F-Type R (550HP) - 3.5 sec 0-60, 11.7 sec 1/4.
An awesome car…. And they are gorgeous but you have to be ok with two seats…. It’s hard to find sub 4.0 second 0-60….. the latest AMG 63 and the M8 or the newer 911’s will also do sub 4.0 seconds 0-60 but they are double what my car costs…. And finding convertibles just adds to the challenge… the Type R is a great find and something I would consider as a long term keeper because Jaguar won’t be building them in anymore in a few years. And whoever designed the Jaguar exhaust deserves a medal! The F Type was the first car I remember hearing when manufacturers started offering real “performance” exhaust… one accelerated away from me years ago and that sound!!! OMG the howl, the pops, I couldn’t believe it was the factory exhaust… a few years later lots of performance cars had these great sounding pipes but the Jag was the first one I remember.

Last edited by 24RiptideBlue; 05-08-2024 at 02:51 PM.
Old 05-08-2024, 03:50 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

My X50 M50i does 0-60 in 3.9, in a decent sized SUV. The C43 is a small car. I get wanting to go one way or the other.

I don't get wanting a lifted convertible. Buy a 392 wrangler already.
Old 05-08-2024, 03:58 PM
24RiptideBlue
Burning Brakes

My X50 M50i does 0-60 in 3.9, in a decent sized SUV. The C43 is a small car. I get wanting to go one way or the other.

I don't get wanting a lifted convertible. Buy a 392 wrangler already.
M50i anything is a great performance all arounder as long as you get good one. I got burned buying an M550i used out of state. Looked gorgeous. Clean carfax but the car had a drivetrain vibration that I chased for a month. Straightened wheels, new tires, checked out by a good local shop. Turned out the transmission had been replaced and once everything we could see checked out it would have been many thousands to go deeper AND the rear bushings on one side looked particularly abused. They are awesome cars but if they get in the wrong hands it’s worse than a 100k miles of normal driving. Those stupid videos ruin more good cars…. I’m back to buying used performance cars only at their main dealer where I get at least a one year bumper to bumper warranty. I pay more but not more than I lost on the M550i 🤷‍♂️

The 392 wrangler would be my choice if I wanted that type capability. A G 550 is similar and the older ones aren’t stupid money like new ones. $200k for a G63 is crazy…. Older G wagons are solid vehicles but again you have to make sure you get one that hasn’t been abused.

I do like the size of the C43. Most of the time I’m the only one in the car and I like to zip around…. The larger “63” AMG…. E, S, or the countless SUVs might be faster but it’s hard (for me) to make a vehicle that size dance like my car….

Last edited by 24RiptideBlue; 05-08-2024 at 04:38 PM.
Old 05-08-2024, 04:18 PM
3LZR21U
Melting Slicks

All lifts are not equal. A 2" rally lift does not even remotely equate to a 12" rock-crawling lift. It's much easier to get a sports car to rally spec than it is to get a dedicated off-road behemoth like a Wrangler to be fast and slam it down to rally height.
Old 05-08-2024, 04:56 PM
24RiptideBlue
Burning Brakes

All lifts are not equal. A 2" rally lift does not even remotely equate to a 12" rock-crawling lift. It's much easier to get a sports car to rally spec than it is to get a dedicated off-road behemoth like a Wrangler to be fast and slam it down to rally height.
Adjusting ride height is a major part of the process for anyone that “builds” their cars (in the broadest sense).,,, but I generally don’t mess with ride height because I don’t really know anything about it except that I didn’t do well in geometry 😎… the little that I do know is as said a 2” change is not a 12” change and I would think anything within 2” is going to be ok… if it’s a modern high performance car with all the technology modern cars have I wouldn’t change it more than an inch. But that’s me… almost anyone knows more about ride height and suspension adjustments than I do.
Old 05-08-2024, 05:24 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Are you actually going to drive it down rocky dirt roads? Or is this just an ego thing like most lifts? A 2" rally lift on a performance car isnt gonna do much, you're still gonna scrape and break stuff immediately going down a gravel or dirt road.

Also worth noting that the transfer cases and hubs in a lot of these cars will not support a larger diameter wheel and tire package. So your lift would be pointless and you'd have a hard time getting all terrain tires anyways.
Old 05-08-2024, 05:34 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,069 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Originally Posted by Nosferatu
You will lose more money buying a German car than a used exotic.
Massive!!! 👍 Agreed! I've been to the Mercedes-Benz woodshed buying new once - never again.

Some of their used models are very delectable to me. I picked up a mint condition sedan from Mercedes-Benz of San Antonio, TX, an 8-year old, 2006 E320 CDI with 59K miles for $18,500.00. List was mid-$50K new!😳 My DD - I L♡ve the car!

I'd buy a 1-owner late model FordGT, and be done with it.....no depreciation there. 😉
Attached Images   

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 05-08-2024 at 05:42 PM.
Old 05-09-2024, 07:46 AM
3LZR21U
Melting Slicks

Are you actually going to drive it down rocky dirt roads? Or is this just an ego thing like most lifts? A 2" rally lift on a performance car isnt gonna do much, you're still gonna scrape and break stuff immediately going down a gravel or dirt road.

Also worth noting that the transfer cases and hubs in a lot of these cars will not support a larger diameter wheel and tire package. So your lift would be pointless and you'd have a hard time getting all terrain tires anyways.
A stock C8 sits too low for my personal taste; virtually all sports cars do. And yes, I do plan to drive on sand, gravel, snow, dirt, etc. Also, I plan to downsize rims, not upsize. I like sidewall.

Hardly an ego thing when previous, stock-height cars I've had are scraping just driving down regular streets in my town--unless I take extreme caution and always approach at oblique angles.
Old 05-09-2024, 08:28 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

A stock C8 sits too low for my personal taste; virtually all sports cars do. And yes, I do plan to drive on sand, gravel, snow, dirt, etc. Also, I plan to downsize rims, not upsize. I like sidewall.

Hardly an ego thing when previous, stock-height cars I've had are scraping just driving down regular streets in my town--unless I take extreme caution and always approach at oblique angles.
You're better off going with a wrangler 392. Any of these cars won't really be able to clear stuff. You're not going to be able to downsize the wheels much, these cars all have huge brakes to clear. To get your sidewall, you're gonna end up upsizing tires, and most of the differentials, hubs, etc aren't going to support that extra diameter and size. Let alone the insanity of trying to keep all their very finicky electronics happy

You're gonna be much happier in a 392 wrangler because you'll actually be able to get one and have it work. You could probably even lower it some.

Get notified of new replies

To AMG SL63 & M8 Competition owners - Thoughts?

Old 05-09-2024, 12:01 PM
sublime1996525
Team Owner

Received 200 Likes on 77 Posts

If you want rally, buy a rally type car (WRX, GR Corolla, Focus RS), if you want a fast vert, buy what you’ve mentioned, if you want some other weirdness, buy that. You need to figure out what you want as it sounds like you’re all over the place.
Old 05-10-2024, 12:45 AM
24RiptideBlue
Burning Brakes

As mentioned there are some rally based vehicles. Subaru still makes a WRX, the RS 350 you mentioned, for convertibles Mercedes makes more convertibles than other manufacturers and a few are AMG performance based but non are technically off-road that I’m aware of. The 392 wrangler really could be an option. Not a conventional convertible but the roof comes off. Or the AMG G wagon if you can find one the right age that they don’t want stupid money for it.

To really meet the 500 plus HP and Convertible and off road you may need to have a car built. Find a domestic convertible that you can have a custom chassis built. The Roadster shop can build you anything. Pick the body that you want. Drop it on your custom lifted RS chassis and put in a supercharged LS motor with a six speed (manual or automatic) and you are living large. It’s a $200k car but it’s exactly what you want. And you probably never need another car.

Building my own car is my dream but I can’t justify spending Ferrari money on something custom built because it won’t be better than a Ferrari or McLaren…. But if nobody makes what you want….. that’s justification right there 😎
Old 05-10-2024, 01:00 AM
24RiptideBlue
Burning Brakes

Just for the record I got nothing on your motives (ego)…. 😉. You want what you want and I could care less why…. My approach is to help someone find a cool car… I’m a bit frustrated because I study the whole industry and I can’t find one factory spec vehicle that really meets all your requirements.

It sounds like the roads are really rough were you regularly drive which drives the requirement for a lift and off road capability. This is unfortunately a total mismatch with convertibles which have a weaker than average structure because they have no roof.

Hence why I punted on main manufacturer vehicles and think you need to get creative and figure out how to get something built.

Or you give up the convertible and get an older SUV you can LS swap or if you want a factory warranty go with the 392 Wrangler, or TRX or Raptor. Or something similar from gm if they make anything besides that awful EV Hummer.

Quick Reply: AMG SL63 & M8 Competition owners - Thoughts?