Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

Hawaii Folk, please step inside

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 11:47 AM
Dixievet
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CI 7, 9, 10 & 11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Default Hawaii Folk, please step inside

Aloha! (said with a TN accent)

I will be visiting your great state for the first time this August and I am looking for a couple recommendations.

I will be in Maui (Aug 23-Sept 2) for a wedding for the first 5 days of my trip....those days are pretty much planned. However,

Starting on the 28th - Sept 1st I plan on hopping over to Kauai for some backpacking. My questions for you guys would be:

1. Who is a good reputable charter/airline that I should take from Maui to Kauai? And what should I expect to pay?

2. I plan on hiking the Na Pali coast solo for 3 days, I know there is nothing poisonous that will kill me on this trip, but is there anything else I should worry about along the trail?

3. Will I need a car or is there a service that will drop me off and pick me back up at scheduled times?

Thanks, and any other info you guys might be able to share is greatly appreciated.

-Dixievet
Old 07-12-2007, 12:05 PM
Maui
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Your choices will be limited to Aloha Airlines and Hawaiian Airlines. Hawaiiian used to sell a ticket book with several inter island flights for a slight discount. If you're going back and forth to different islands this was the way to go. They also used to allow stnadby so you wouldn't neccesarily have to wait for your scheduled flight but now the charge a fee. There are flights to and from each island just about every half hour. so it's pretty easy to get around.

I'll be in Maui July 22nd through August 5th.

I've been to the islands many times so I mihgt be able to answer your questions. I have not been to the big island so I have no first hand knowledge.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:14 PM
Maui
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Dixievet
Aloha! (said with a TN accent)

I will be visiting your great state for the first time this August and I am looking for a couple recommendations.

I will be in Maui (Aug 23-Sept 2) for a wedding for the first 5 days of my trip....those days are pretty much planned. However,

Starting on the 28th - Sept 1st I plan on hopping over to Kauai for some backpacking. My questions for you guys would be:

1. Who is a good reputable charter/airline that I should take from Maui to Kauai? And what should I expect to pay?

2. I plan on hiking the Na Pali coast solo for 3 days, I know there is nothing poisonous that will kill me on this trip, but is there anything else I should worry about along the trail?

3. Will I need a car or is there a service that will drop me off and pick me back up at scheduled times?

Thanks, and any other info you guys might be able to share is greatly appreciated.

-Dixievet
1. Hawaiian airlines. Without advance ticket about $120. Check the Hawaiian airlines website. They are my favorite airline. We have non-stop from Portland to Maui and it runs between $400 and $800 RT depending on the time of year and when you purchase your tickets.

2. Wild pigs and chickens. There are no snakes in Hawaii but they do have a few bugs that might surprise you and lots of geckos. Take plenty of water. If you see any pot growing along the way go the other way quickly. Take a good camera and check the weather forecast and make sure you have a good map. It's not unusual for tourists to get lost.

3. They have taxis but I'd just rent a car, especially on Kauai because things are spread out and there are many sights within an hour's drive. The roads are good and it's just like driving stateside. Pretty hard to get lost because it's so small. Do a orbitz or travelocity search for rental cars. You should find a good deal on a compact. Gas is going to be at least $0.50 higher per gallon than stateside.

Last edited by Maui; 07-12-2007 at 12:20 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Hawaii Folk, please step inside

Quick Reply: Hawaii Folk, please step inside