Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

So what is the deal with Rick Stark?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 08:54 PM
black783
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So what is the deal with Rick Stark?

A couple of negative posts regarding this shop? Can you give me some details on why folks are negative on them?
Old 09-03-2007, 10:00 PM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Joyrides in customer cars. Manic depressant/multiple personalities/schizo. Takes your take off parts and sells them before you can come get them in a appropriate vehicle. Does crap work.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:15 AM
Maui
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I guess that sums it up. He's toast.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:11 AM
RED99
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I never heard of him. I do all of my own work anyway so I guess it doesn't matter(unless it's dyno-tuning), then it goes to Mr. Wong. But I'm curious, what is the name of his business?
Old 09-04-2007, 01:18 AM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Rick Stark Enterprises.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:23 AM
ZZZZZR1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jeffvette
Joyrides in customer cars. Manic depressant/multiple personalities/schizo. Takes your take off parts and sells them before you can come get them in a appropriate vehicle. Does crap work.
Wow, I couldn't have summarized it any better. I experienced ALL of the above with my ZR-1 and Mr. Stark, plus his mechanic not only joy rides but puts his young children in the back area where they apply their greasy little fingers all over the inside of your back glass.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:14 PM
black783
Racer

That does sum it up!!! Not going there to get any mods done.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:34 PM
4DSZR1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ZZZZZR1
Wow, I couldn't have summarized it any better. I experienced ALL of the above with my ZR-1 and Mr. Stark, plus his mechanic not only joy rides but puts his young children in the back area where they apply their greasy little fingers all over the inside of your back glass.
Holy ****e! He did that to your car Nick?

I had an oven repair guy at the house last week and he noticed my car and said, "Hey I was just following a red one with a cool license plate ZZZZZR1 and it was really nice".

Been fishing a bit the last week, been ok, but not great. You?

Rick
Old 09-05-2007, 05:40 PM
Dbl6gun
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 09-05-2007, 08:20 PM
Joy of 6
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rick Stark Enterprises.
Never heard of him, where is he located so I can be sure to avoid the area???
Old 09-06-2007, 12:18 AM
XC6VETTE
Melting Slicks

...Manic depressant/multiple personalities/schizo...
Run, don't walk away...
Old 09-06-2007, 03:48 PM
ZZZZZR1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 4DSZR1
Holy ****e! He did that to your car Nick?

:I had an oven repair guy at the house last week and he noticed my car and said, "Hey I was just following a red one with a cool license plate ZZZZZR1 and it was really nice".
At least he was behind me! Too funny.

:Been fishing a bit the last week, been ok, but not great. You?
Was out Saturday Sept. 1 Gig Harbor and Tacoma. Nothing! Weekend before picked up a humpy and a small hatchery king. Gig Harbor/Southworth ferry dock. Let's go, Rick!
Old 09-06-2007, 05:13 PM
Rainy99
Drifting

Add scuffing up rims to Rick Stark. ...scuffing up ALL 4 rims to be exact.

Jerk.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:03 PM
PaulC6Z
Racer

Here is my experience with Mr. Starck's shop. I call them and tell'em that I have a set of powder coated brake calipers and a set of wheels with GM tps. How much to install? I'm quoted $330. I go to pick-up the car. I have to wait for two+ hrs, he yells at one of my friends that drops by to help drive my truck home. Then the bill $660. No warning, no notice that the estimate was way, way off. Now, the fun stuff the next day my tps stops working. I call to have him fix it. He tells me that he can't. I ask for a refund for that part of the work he refuses and claims that I want something for free. I have a 2006 c6 with minor mods looking to do more and he knows this. HE WILL NEVER TOUCH MY CAR.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:50 PM
XC6VETTE
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by deuce biglow
Here is my experience with Mr. Starck's shop. I call them and tell'em that I have a set of powder coated brake calipers and a set of wheels with GM tps. How much to install? I'm quoted $330. I go to pick-up the car. I have to wait for two+ hrs, he yells at one of my friends that drops by to help drive my truck home. Then the bill $660. No warning, no notice that the estimate was way, way off. Now, the fun stuff the next day my tps stops working. I call to have him fix it. He tells me that he can't. I ask for a refund for that part of the work he refuses and claims that I want something for free. I have a 2006 c6 with minor mods looking to do more and he knows this. HE WILL NEVER TOUCH MY CAR.
Yep, except he started yelling at me before I even had a chance to leave the ('97) car! I had called ahead and made an appointment with him....and when I arrived per our agreement he was just leaving. When I stopped and asked him about our meeting he told me to talk to his mechanic. I immediately turn and walked to my car...when he started yelling. I drove away while he was still yelling...very fast! He's clearly mental and has been for a long time. What amazes me is how did he/has he/can he stay in business.

Last edited by XC6VETTE; 09-08-2007 at 01:02 PM.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:36 AM
RED99
Safety Car

I'm surprise someone hasn't gave him an attitude adjustment if he is yelling at people.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:03 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

One would think his "attitude adjustment" would come in the form of no cars showing up to have work done. My bet is that he has a lot of "first-time" customers and not too many of those come back again.

Get notified of new replies

To So what is the deal with Rick Stark?

Old 10-01-2007, 02:18 AM
AndreG
Racer

Default Run Run Run!!

Showed up to pick up my 69, $300 estimate was now a $950 bill. Argued about the bill (screaming match against my good nature) Settled on $750 as he did perform additional work athough I never authorized it. Went to grab the car next, mechanic was PUSHING it back into the parking lot!!! He had changed the oil, old filter was stuck so he "air chiseled" it off but in the process fractured the aluminum fitting the filter spins on to. Mechanic took it for a test drive at which time the filter popped off on the street, oil pressure dropped to nothing and SEIZED my 5K mile 427. Rick immediatley blurted "It's not my fault" then immediatley began yelling explitives at me. I considered killing him right the and there then fortunately calmed down and instead focused on just getting my car out of his posession given who knows what he may try pull. He then then proceeded to pour some thick goop into the oil, car restarted after some serious grinding effort but had little to zero oil pressure. Got the car out of there. When I disputed the charges with VISA he told them he offered to make reparations (LIE) and as such VISA inexplicably eventually paid him. Just show's who's side they are on. Insurance fortunatley covered my loss (mostly), all the bearings were spun. $15K and 14 months later the car was back on the road. Looking to get the machine work done I found none of the local busineeses and machine shops will do his work given his reoutation given he doesn't pay his bills in addition to being completely insane and having cocaine problems.

I have heard so many similar nightmare stories since then in his regard it is surprising to me that noboday has simply killed him. In short I would pick someplace else!

Hope any and all learn from my unfortunate lesson. What a piece of work!!!!!
Old 10-01-2007, 11:28 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

You guys that have had big problems with Stark might want to read this: http://dor.wa.gov/Docs/Pubs/SpecialN...sn_96_auto.pdf

WA state law can get pretty specific on excessive charges over a written estimate. Check out this page that has all of the specific under RCW 46.71 Automotive Repair.

The big deal is to get a written estimate before the work is started and make sure you are notified about an increase in costs before work is done. See RCW 46.71.025 in the above link.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:25 PM
MalaysianMenace
Instructor

Default can't figure out a c5 at least

Rick Stark's a garage in Kirkland WA, behind Ford of Kirkland.

I bought a rough 99' coupe from ebay back in 2003. Among other things, it had headlamp problems and "service active handling" error message.

Same experience - I got charged for unnecessary, or unasked for repairs.

Rick Stark's had no idea how to fix the electronics. I ended up taking it to several dealers who diagnosed the problem as "steering wheel position sensor" problem - costing me another $300.

My lesson learned - avoid Rick Stark.

Quick Reply: So what is the deal with Rick Stark?