Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

Oregon Park Raceway Grass Valley Oregon

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 09:38 PM
884fun
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oregon Park Raceway Grass Valley Oregon

Here is a copied message from the Northwest SHO club. Karen Stimpson in the message is an instructor at PIR and was invited to instruct at OPR.

This will be useful information on what you will need before you are allowed to drive this new track.

Sent: Monday, February 23, 2009 8:14 PM
Subject: Northwest SHO Club - Saturday Track Days in March

I am still buried in work, but I thought I wanted to pass on some
great early season track days that are held on the weekend.

1) The first Cascade Sports Car Club driving school and HPDE is
scheduled for March 13/14. You can now register ON LINE at
http://cascade.motorsportreg.com/ Karen will be there. Kurt will be
there. I may be there. Who else wants to go out for an early SHO
event? Did I mention it is a Saturday track day? Even if it rains,
the SHOs do well, so don't let the weather keep you away. If you
need another reason to sign up here it is.

There is a track day at the end of March at Oregon Raceway Park (ORP)
in Grass Valley. This is the brand new track. It is incredibly
challenging, and they are going to require racing licenses OR a
recent driving school with an instructor signature approving the
student to apply for a racing license. You do not need to apply for
the license, you just need to be qualified to apply. The Cascade
school meets these requirements, and this track will be difficult to
get into without something like this.

2) The ORP track day is scheduled for the end of March and it will
also be a Saturday or Sunday event. This event will fill up fast, so
if you are interested, let me know and I will see if there is space
available. You will need to meet the minimum requirements of
previous track experience/schools, and an approval from an
instructor. Karen and I will be at this event. Kurt is thinking
about it. Anyone else interested?

Mike
Old 02-26-2009, 09:13 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Is ORP going to be holding all clubs to standards like that for running there? IIRC, there was another club that was holding a track day and one requirement was Nomex suits for all drivers.

While that in itself may not be a bad thing, it might seem that the track is going to eventually exclude participation to many area track day junkies that just want to have a day of fun. Can you imagine if PIR started to do the same thing? I would bet that the RCC event would not happen.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:12 AM
NW_Vettes
Drifting

I'm hoping to make it out there later this summer on my sport bike
Old 02-26-2009, 11:10 AM
OCCOMSRAZOR
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
Is ORP going to be holding all clubs to standards like that for running there? IIRC, there was another club that was holding a track day and one requirement was Nomex suits for all drivers.

While that in itself may not be a bad thing, it might seem that the track is going to eventually exclude participation to many area track day junkies that just want to have a day of fun. Can you imagine if PIR started to do the same thing? I would bet that the RCC event would not happen.
I don't think this is a "long-term" policy. You need to understand that, although the roadway is completed, there is still much work to be done in order to make it a reasonably safe track.

For instance, the last report that I heard was that there were no permanent flagging stations yet. Also, although the track does "appear" to have really good run-off area, if you experience an off-track excursion, you may find yourself axle deep in top soil sprinkled with rather large rocks.

I think the limitation is just to keep inexperieced people from having a bad experience while the track is still "under development."

Old 02-26-2009, 11:25 AM
NW_Vettes
Drifting

Originally Posted by OCCOMSRAZOR
I don't think this is a "long-term" policy. You need to understand that, although the roadway is completed, there is still much work to be done in order to make it a reasonably safe track.

For instance, the last report that I heard was that there were no permanent flagging stations yet. Also, although the track does "appear" to have really good run-off area, if you experience an off-track excursion, you may find yourself axle deep in top soil sprinkled with rather large rocks.

I think the limitation is just to keep inexperieced people from having a bad experience while the track is still "under development."

I heard the same thing from my sportbike racing friends. Hopefully they get it completed by summer
Old 02-26-2009, 08:32 PM
kentz06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OCCOMSRAZOR

The videos that are posted show the need for much track side grading, tire walls, traffic separation and other safety upgrades. Their goal of having a bi-directional track makes this task extra difficult.

I have April 18-19 and June 20-21 in my schedule to be there as an instructor. Hopefully they will continue to make big safety progress before then. It looks like a great drivers track with plenty of elevation change.

Dean

Get notified of new replies

To Oregon Park Raceway Grass Valley Oregon

Quick Reply: Oregon Park Raceway Grass Valley Oregon