Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

Mahogany and Merlot - This Weekend

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 05:29 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Default Mahogany and Merlot - This Weekend

Just a reminder for those of you who are so inclined or may be looking for a day-trip or possibly a weekend away.

We're taking some of the vintage unlimited hydroplanes over to Lake Chelan this weekend for what used to be our annual playday. I'm expecting about 5 boats, including

1955 Miss Thriftway replica
1957 Miss Wahoo replica
1960 Miss Burien
1962 Miss Bardahl
The O' Boy Oberto

Last year the city started to get behind this event and created what is now called, Mahogany and Merlot. As the title implies, the festival is beginning to involve not only the City of Chelan, but the local wineries and some classic boat enthusiasts. The turnout of vintage Chris-Craft, Century and other rare makers like Ventnor and Gar Wood are expected. Also the vintage limiteds are expected to show again this year. It's a very casual yet fun event.

I don't have the full schedule, but I'm fairly sure that the unlimiteds will be on display on Friday, run on Saturday and the vintage limiteds run on both days. If it's anything like last year, the classic boats will be in the water at the boat launch in the water on both Saturday and Sunday.

In addition, the R/C hydro group will be running their annual event on the other (east) side of the bridge between Campbell's Resort and The Grandview. you';l be able to hear them and these large scale beautifully built boats really put on some exciting races.

From the forecasts, the weather promises to be good. I'm taking a break from the Blue Blaster project and crewing for Miss Wahoo if any of you want to try and find me. I met some new people from the forum last year and, two years ago, met some great folks from the Mt. Hood Club. (What happened to you people?)

Hope to see some of you there. This event is still in its infancy and the local Chamber of Commerce is trying to figure out how well this weekend contributes to the local economy. We could use a good turnout.

Any questions?

Old 09-27-2011, 11:30 AM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received an Email this morning. The '67 Miss Budweiser will be added to the list of boats that will be participating on Saturday.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:07 PM
XC6VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Phil.....how's the event? Is Kilt Lifter Ale even legal is Eastern Washington?

That pic of your Grand daughter in the avatar is to die for cute.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:58 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by XC5VETTE
Hey Phil.....how's the event? Is Kilt Lifter Ale even legal is Eastern Washington?

That pic of your Grand daughter in the avatar is to die for cute.
Hey, Poodle Girl!

We just got home. Weather was there, wish you were fine....

No Kilt Lifter. A little Manny's and a few Total Domination IPA's and lots of really cheap wine. Plus some left-over egg rolls from the Safeway across the street. I met a few of the people from the Tacoma Corvette Club who were at Cambell's with us. Nice folks. I'm beginning to understand now why they won't let people like you into most clubs (okay, okay, and me too...)

As for the event, the turnout was great and trying to get all the boats, including the large group of vintage limiteds within reach of the crane was like of those old key chain puzzles where one has to get the numbered squares in order. Somehow we succeeded and the crane didn't break down this year.

But the boat did. Miss Wahoo lost a quill shaft - the part that connects the supercharger to the engine crankshaft. At least I think it's to the crankshaft. The engine still runs, but without the blower the boat will only run at about 70 MPH. Hardly waterskiing speed.... An early day for this crewman. Hardly got my bright red coveralls dirty this year. I did get some experience in getting the boat on and off the trailer. Almost fell into the water too, but that's another story.

What I find oddly interesting about the part failure is that it occurred just after Alan, our driver, took the Wahoo over to the fueling dock across the lake. We have an arrangement with Chelan Airways for fueling arrangements since the Allisons run on Av Gas.

Two years ago, with both Alan and I aboard, we did the same thing and after refueling, the starter wouldn't engage. It's became apparent to me that the problem is not those 60 year old components, it's that darn fuel those guys sell us.

All in all, it was a lot of fun if a lot of work. The turnout was great and it's obvious the event is growing. The organizers gave us all special badging with which we were able to get special deals on things from various merchants in Chelan. Unfortunately none selling that really cheap wine I like.

While we took 6 of the unlimiteds, for me the real treat was the nice turnout of some really significant limited-class boats. I finally got to see my friend, Russ Haag's chevy powered 5-litre cab-over Kelson boat run beautifully. And loudly.

Speaking of loudly, John Hucik, brought out his old - but beautifully restored - Lauterbach Grand Prix boat with a beautifully presented and polished supercharged big block Chevy. That engine is nearly as loud as the unlimiteds' Merlins and Allisons and puts out something like 1100 HP. Sadly, while the boat ran pretty well, the wind came up on the lake and John couldn't keep his foot in the throttle long enough to avoid turning it into an airplane. It's a stunning boat. At least John and I had some time to reminisce about older days when I worked with his father and used to help provide parts for his 280-class Ron Jones hydro, "Scorpion".

All-in-all a good time, as usual. Didn't get the long awaited driving lesson in Miss Wahoo, but after nearly falling off the dock (It's a long sorry) I fear the crew is beginning to wonder if they even want to let me near the boat, much less drive it. (no waterfowl were harmed or injured during the incident).

So... what was it you asked me?

Oh, I haven't downloaded the pictures yet and don't know how to post them anyway. I'll send them as a PM.

So, what did you do all weekend? Chase squirrels again...? Maybe try to scrub that gray paint from your otherwise shiny wheels?
Old 10-02-2011, 10:01 PM
lcstm
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By airplane, did he flip the boat, or did he just slow down. Any damage?
Old 10-02-2011, 10:47 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by lcstm
By airplane, did he flip the boat, or did he just slow down. Any damage?
No, no, not at all. Simply saying a bit too much headwind and a bit of speed can take these boats airborne. When you consider that even a vintage 3-point hydroplane is barely in the water even under perfect conditions, it doesn't take a lot, especially with all that HP, to make them "fly" when the conditions conspire.

These fellows, especially in the more powerful boats, know that and have the skill to recognize the limits. All I was trying to describe was that John's boat is powerful enough to go very fast in near-perfect conditions. The weather at Lake Chelan just didn't offer the right opportunity. The Grand Prix boats, (nee, 7-liter class) are a lot smaller than the unlimiteds.

Besides, it wasn't a real race so much as an exhibition so why take un-needed risks?
Old 10-03-2011, 09:21 PM
XC6VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Couldn't find a date for next year.....would like to plan now for next years event.

Get notified of new replies

To Mahogany and Merlot - This Weekend

Quick Reply: Mahogany and Merlot - This Weekend