Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

C6 Corvettes and WA State Ferry's

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 09:43 PM
mlicker
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Default C6 Corvettes and WA State Ferry's

New 08 C6 owner. Would like to know if i can get on the ferries around Seattle without rubbing the bumper. Seems even my driveway drags the black spoiler underneath the bumper. The ferry ramps have a pretty good slope to them. I'm specifically thinking of taking the Mukilteo to Clinton ferry in the next couple of weeks.
Others with experience getting on and off at the different ferry terminals?
Chime in please!!!
Old 04-16-2015, 09:55 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

From what I understand, only try it at high tide.....not tried it yet myself but I know they can have quite a dip to them....

Congrats on the C6!
Old 04-16-2015, 10:45 PM
DidntSettle
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Manchester - Political correctness is tyranny with manners.
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Others have had different experiences than me, But after high centering on the Edmonds ferry twice because the ramp tenders have no clue as to how to adjust the ramp as the tide changes, I no longer take my Corvette on the ferry. I had a C5 lowered on th stock bolts. I have a C6 at the stock height now and just don't do it any more. The air dam rubbing is no big deal and if you take the lane getting on the boat at an angle, you might be okay. Since I live in Port Orchard, I drive around over the Narrows bridge. Time wise it can be faster to do it that way, but if you are going to Kingston or Clinton, the boat is going to be a faster option. Good luck.
Old 04-17-2015, 02:14 AM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I only attempt it around high tide as well.

Some of the dock workers will stop traffic and let you approach at an angle if you've missed the tide, but that can be hit or miss depending on their mood.

I have also just cut across traffic and made them wait when I couldn't get a break.

If it's just a pleasure trip, driving the length of Whidbey along the coast and crossing Deception Pass is a very nice drive/option for part of the journey.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:00 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Some people have complained about certain ferry docks that have low-slung cars scraping as they cross. Some years ago, I recall ferry workers telling drivers with Corvettes or similar low car to line up in just one lane and when that lane boarded, the dock workers would have those cars cross the ramps at an angle.

Don't know what they do now, but certainly try to use ferries at high tide. Also heard that the new Mukilteo-Clinton boat (Tokitae) is not friendly to lower cars. When it runs...
Old 04-17-2015, 10:08 AM
SmileyOr
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I've been on the ferries to Friday Harbor and back to Anacortes without issue. Other than being in a position in line that I was parked on an uphill incline on the outside lane. Fortunately they left the safety block in place so I wouldn't need to slip the clutch much to get started. And no threat of rolling backwards into the car behind me
Old 04-17-2015, 04:43 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

I don't often use the ferries, but when I do I drink Dos Equis...

Seriously, I occasionally use the Vashon ferry and a few others. I've never had an issue. The ferry docks are - what? - articulated and will be adjusted to compensate for high and low tides. That said my C6 is stock height. I've also done the Edmonds ferry a couple of times in a Ferrari 308 and the only "problem" was cleaning off kids' fingerprints once we reached the other side.

Indeed as others have suggested, the crews seem to recognize when a Corvette is in line and make an effort to accommodate.

Besides, the last thing a ferry crew wants to see is a car stuck on the ramp and screwing up the schedule. Heck, they'll pick the car up and carry it ashore if need be.

Last edited by last901; 04-17-2015 at 04:50 PM.
Old 04-17-2015, 05:19 PM
zet06
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 39 Posts

we have to content with bc ferries and same problem, I just drive so slow on the ramp they get the point

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Corvettes and WA State Ferry's

Quick Reply: C6 Corvettes and WA State Ferry's