Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

2004 CE C5 needing ECBM repc - South Hill Puy area

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 03:40 PM
Lil Blue Coupe
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Default 2004 CE C5 needing EBCM repc - South Hill Puy area

Hi,
I've found myself having to do some repairs recently on my 2004 CE C5 (misfires & ac recharge) and used a local dealership to do, but any further work needed I think I need to look into other options.

currently they are telling me I need to replc the EBCM as I have the traction control and ABS lights on dash.

dealer quotes EBCM is $1,100 and 2-3 hrs labor

I saw some posts where guys have bought units from ABSFixer.com for a few hundred and installed themselves or had a local shop install, some just had help from a buddy with experience.

Is there anyone is my area I could talk to about taking this on or if there is a sure fire way to approach this a lot cheaper then the dealer?

any feedback would be greatly appreciated

-Mark
2k4cec5@gmail.com

Last edited by Lil Blue Coupe; 02-26-2017 at 05:41 PM.
Old 02-25-2017, 04:07 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

If you do a search in the C5 Z06 forum using "ECBM" you'll see a lot of people have use that service, seems his are better them OEM units cause he uses better components when rebuilding them and has a warranty for them too....
The following users liked this post:
Lil Blue Coupe (02-25-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 04:20 PM
Lil Blue Coupe
Racer

ok, I'm going to do that right now, thank you for the tip!

I don't know that have the level of skill to do it myself (replace the part) but I am still reading up on it as I don't want to cause another issue in my efforts that could cause me to spend more $

-M

Originally Posted by JETninja
If you do a search in the C5 Z06 forum using "ECBM" you'll see a lot of people have use that service, seems his are better them OEM units cause he uses better components when rebuilding them and has a warranty for them too....
Old 02-25-2017, 08:22 PM
91LSMAN
Le Mans Master

Received 412 Likes on 215 Posts

I bet Corvettes of Auburn would install it for you.

http://www.corvettesofauburn.com/

Good Luck.
Lil Blue Coupe (02-25-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 08:43 PM
Lil Blue Coupe
Racer

I like the sounds of that, thank you

tried to call them but its too late in the day on a Saturday, sounds like they closed at noon so I shot an email to the shop. If I don't hear back I will call again on Monday

-Mark

Originally Posted by 91LSMAN

Good Luck.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:47 PM
91LSMAN
Le Mans Master

Received 412 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil Blue Coupe

tried to call them but its too late in the day on a Saturday, sounds like they closed at noon so I shot an email to the shop. If I don't hear back I will call again on Monday

-Mark
No problem. You might need to call. E-mails are not always responded to. But they do good work.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:19 PM
Lil Blue Coupe
Racer

for sure, some shops don't use email at all, I just figured since I was at their site I'd shoot the email off just in case they do.

I like the fact that they specialize in Corvettes though

-M

No problem. You might need to call. E-mails are not always responded to. But they do good work.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:21 PM
apriliacati
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

-Mark
I replaced mine, it was very easy. Go to the absfixxer website, he has a step by step instructions on how to do it.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:26 PM
Lil Blue Coupe
Racer

well, I guess that depends on a guys technical skills and physical flexibility. I'm mid 50's and my body doesn't like to bend over or stretch for extended periods of time like it did 25 years ago lol

I actually would like to save any $ I can so I am definitely looking at ABSFixer.com

curious, are you experienced in repairs?
how long did it take you?

-Mark

Originally Posted by apriliacati
I replaced mine, it was very easy. Go to the absfixxer website, he has a step by step instructions on how to do it.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:04 AM
apriliacati
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=Lil Blue Coupe;1594175286]well, I guess that depends on a guys technical skills and physical flexibility. I'm mid 50's and my body doesn't like to bend over or stretch for extended periods of time like it did 25 years ago lol

I actually would like to save any $ I can so I am definitely looking at ABSFixer.com

-Mark[/QUOTE

I'm not experienced in repairs, I just don't trust anyone else working on my car. And I'm older than you, in my 60s.

You don't have to get under the car, you do have to stretch. The module is just in front of the motor, by the steering rack. Look at the instructions on the absfixxer website, its just 6 Torx head screws. The hardest part was separating the module from the unit, you have to pry it off.

It took me about an hour to get it off, I'll bet now I can do it in 15 minutes. Good luck either way.
Lil Blue Coupe (02-26-2017)
Old 02-26-2017, 02:20 PM
Lil Blue Coupe
Racer

thank you

OK, so now I guess I need to pop the hood and take a closer look

-Mark

Originally Posted by apriliacati
well, I guess that depends on a guys technical skills and physical flexibility. I'm mid 50's and my body doesn't like to bend over or stretch for extended periods of time like it did 25 years ago lol

-Mark
I'm not experienced in repairs, I just don't trust anyone else working on my car. And I'm older than you, in my 60s.

You don't have to get under the car, you do have to stretch. The module is just in front of the motor, by the steering rack. Look at the instructions on the absfixxer website, its just 6 Torx head screws. The hardest part was separating the module from the unit, you have to pry it off.

It took me about an hour to get it off, I'll bet now I can do it in 15 minutes. Good luck either way.

Last edited by Lil Blue Coupe; 02-26-2017 at 02:21 PM.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:12 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Good Luck.
They would; they did mine quick and reasonably priced.

Two trips - first one they removed the EBCM and sealed off the location; second they installed the ABSFixer repaired unit.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:34 PM
Lil Blue Coupe
Racer

that is really good to hear, thank you

I sent you a PM

-Mark

Originally Posted by billla
They would; they did mine quick and reasonably priced.

Two trips - first one they removed the EBCM and sealed off the location; second they installed the ABSFixer repaired unit.
Old 03-04-2017, 04:09 PM
Lil Blue Coupe
Racer

ok, so I took the plunge and decided to remove the EBCM myself and then depending on how that went I would determine if I would be able to put the refurb back in... was happy to see I was able to get it out in about 30 min but I think I may have a shop put the refurb in, not sure I want to chance cross threading those connectors on reassembly.

anyways, the bigger issue is now that its out I've got no brakes ... pedal goes all the way to the floor!!

I could have swore that I was reading the unit can be out of the car and it could be driven while waiting to send off and get back the refurb... just wouldnt have the ABS and traction control functions, but since the unit was bad it would be no dif than I've been driving it recently

help!! would be most grateful for any insights

-Mark
Old 03-04-2017, 05:10 PM
Lil Blue Coupe
Racer

well that explains it, I guess I removed the whole freakin' enchilada ... rats!

so now I need to have my brakes bled... will prob have to have a flatbed come get it to take to a shop for that...

I am considering putting the BPMV back on tomorrow if I can get someone to help me bleed the brakes... its stuck in the garage for the time being ggrr

what a dunce

-M
Attached Images   

Last edited by Lil Blue Coupe; 03-04-2017 at 10:37 PM.
Old 03-04-2017, 11:52 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

ABSFixer has removal instructions on their site.

If you can get it back in, bleeding the brakes is no big deal - I have the Motive bleeder that you can borrow - that and a low-profile jack (with pucks) will get you there. Happy to help either by loaning the tools or coming over.
Old 03-05-2017, 12:48 PM
Kmcoldcars
Melting Slicks

Received 285 Likes on 134 Posts

You need the Tech 2 tool to do a proper bleed job since you removed all the brake lines. I would have it taken to Corvettes of Auburn and let them fix it. They have done good work on my 2002 Z06 and on my C4. They know Corvettes.
Lil Blue Coupe (03-05-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To 2004 CE C5 needing ECBM repc - South Hill Puy area

Old 03-05-2017, 01:11 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

A Tech 2 isn't *required*, it just reduces the work required.

Personally, I'd do it manually to avoid $300 flatbed trip; C of A is getting the car anyway for the EBCM swap, so they can bat clean-up if needed.

Last edited by billla; 03-05-2017 at 01:12 PM.
Old 03-05-2017, 04:40 PM
Lil Blue Coupe
Racer

thank you for the generous offer, I really appreciate it

it turns out, my day isn't going to allow me time to do all this so I am going to use my AAA for the tow and get it to the Puy dealer in the am. They quoted me $160 for the brake bleed & replace fluid and promised that I will be it back around noon. Its my daily driver so I need it on the road as soon as possible.

I am headed to my garage right now to reattach the BPMV, hoping it goes smoothly...

after car gets done I will send off my EBCM ...

not sure on when I'll get the refurb EBCM back but once I get it sent off I should have a feel for when it will return and make an appt with Corvettes of Auburn for the install, they said they are 4-5 days out on scheduled work

knockin' on wood I don't screw something else up doing this

-M

Originally Posted by billla
ABSFixer has removal instructions on their site.

If you can get it back in, bleeding the brakes is no big deal - I have the Motive bleeder that you can borrow - that and a low-profile jack (with pucks) will get you there. Happy to help either by loaning the tools or coming over.
Old 03-05-2017, 04:44 PM
Lil Blue Coupe
Racer

thanks for the tip, for this situation I am going to have Corvettes of Auburn install the refurb'd EBCM, and I would have them do the brakes if they could it it done tomorrow but they can't, need an appt almost a week out

good to know they are doing a lot of business and since I only recently became aware of their shop I will certainly be using them in the future

-M

Originally Posted by Kmcoldcars
You need the Tech 2 tool to do a proper bleed job since you removed all the brake lines. I would have it taken to Corvettes of Auburn and let them fix it. They have done good work on my 2002 Z06 and on my C4. They know Corvettes.

Quick Reply: 2004 CE C5 needing ECBM repc - South Hill Puy area