Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

Clean Car emission requirements

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 02:07 PM
VA50th
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Clean Car emission requirements

I 'may' be relocating to Washington state next year (Sequim/PT/PA) area. I have a 2013 GS that was purchased in MD and is now registered in VA.

Looks like my GS would need to pass the Clean Car emission requirements in Washington state.

How would I know in advance that I would pass?

Thanks!
Old 03-14-2017, 02:16 PM
DRTBYK
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

2017 Vettes have to meet "Emissions: Connecticut. Delaware. Maine. Maryland. Massachusetts. NewJersey. NewYork. Oregon. Pennsylvania. Rhode Island. Vermont and Washington state requirements. 50-state certified."

You could call MD DOL and ask if their Emission Standards have change since your car was purchased. If they were changed, I suppose you could drive up to MD and find a Service Garage that does Emissions Testing to see if you pass the current MD standards.

I've done similar investigation with other vehicles as I moved around the country.

Last edited by DRTBYK; 03-14-2017 at 02:17 PM.
Old 03-14-2017, 02:24 PM
VA50th
Pro

Originally Posted by DRTBYK
2017 Vettes have to meet "Emissions: Connecticut. Delaware. Maine. Maryland. Massachusetts. NewJersey. NewYork. Oregon. Pennsylvania. Rhode Island. Vermont and Washington state requirements. 50-state certified."

You could call MD DOL and ask if their Emission Standards have change since your car was purchased. If they were changed, I suppose you could drive up to MD and find a Service Garage that does Emissions Testing to see if you pass the current MD standards.

I've done similar investigation with other vehicles as I moved around the country.
Thanks...found this WA GOV website:

How to confirm a used vehicle is certified

When you register a used vehicle, you may be asked to complete a California Emission Compliance/Exemption Certification form to confirm the vehicle is certified to California emission standards.

To find out if the vehicle is California certified, look at the Vehicle Emissions Control Information (VECI) label in the engine compartment. You may register the vehicle in Washington if the label states that the vehicle is certified for any of the following:
•California emission standards (CARB certified – www.arb.ca.gov).
•Sale in all 50 states (50-state certified).
•Sale in the northeast.

I need to check and see if my GS has the sticker...??

Is this requirement either you have the sticker already in place or you can have your car 'smog' checked like California once you arrive in WA..??
Old 03-14-2017, 02:33 PM
DRTBYK
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Even if your VECI meets the requirements it will still need to be 'smog' checked before licensing in WA - at least mine were.
The following users liked this post:
VA50th (03-14-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 05:00 PM
Kaidog
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

No CEL = pass
Old 03-14-2017, 06:58 PM
C6 Snowboarder
Race Director

Received 684 Likes on 372 Posts

I have done two Grandsports recently . I bought the 2013 in Wisconsin and the 2012 in Kansas... both have the FE-9 feature listed on the sticker which means it passes all 50 state emissions.. Bring a photo of that and list of Options under your VIN number... bring all that and title to a WA state Licensing office. You do not need an emmision test - least I did not due to both being newer than 5 years and yes I live in an emission testing area. You will need to sign a document stating it has the required 50 state or californica emission requirements.

I'd be willing to bet you a beer that your 2013 GS has the FE9

I got the titles in about 2-3 weeks in the mail... it was pretty easy.

see a copy of my sticker below.
Attached Images   

Last edited by C6 Snowboarder; 03-14-2017 at 07:15 PM.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:56 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

At worst when they do test its only a plug in the OBDII port to look for codes.....thats all they do up here for 1996+ Cars....
Old 03-15-2017, 07:07 AM
VA50th
Pro

Thanks for all the replies.

Sounds like my GS should be fine. Did find out that if you live in the Sequim area there is no smog check. Most of the counties requiring smog checks are in and around the Seattle area.

Thanks again!
Old 03-15-2017, 11:15 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Sounds like you are good to go with the car and getting plates! If you are interested in a special plate design or personalized plates, WA has a good variety of them Check them out on this Washington DOL web page

When you go to a licensing office to get your registration stuff, you will need the MD title, the MD registration, proof of insurance, and your checkbook... You will be given the Emissions Exemption for yout to complete on-site.

While some vehicles have to be tested in the most populated cities and counties, the testing requirement is also based on you ZIP code. I know people who live in the Tacoma area that do not have to go thru any testing. But drive a mile, and testing in that area is required.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:33 PM
VA50th
Pro

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
Sounds like you are good to go with the car and getting plates! If you are interested in a special plate design or personalized plates, WA has a good variety of them Check them out on this Washington DOL web page

When you go to a licensing office to get your registration stuff, you will need the MD title, the MD registration, proof of insurance, and your checkbook... You will be given the Emissions Exemption for yout to complete on-site.

While some vehicles have to be tested in the most populated cities and counties, the testing requirement is also based on you ZIP code. I know people who live in the Tacoma area that do not have to go thru any testing. But drive a mile, and testing in that area is required.
Thanks....

Get notified of new replies

To Clean Car emission requirements

Quick Reply: Clean Car emission requirements