Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

The Three Pass Blast

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 06:53 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Default The Three Pass Blast

While perusing the PNW forum and exchanges between Aaron and others, I began to recall something my fellow motorcycle riders used to do. It was called the Three-Pass-Blast and was basically a TSD (Time-Speed-Distance) event by which riders were supposed to match - or as close to - some pre-determed time for the circuit. I've never done it myself, but I have done a lot of TSD motoring rallies back in the day and th basic format is similar.

Seems to me that there were three checkpoints, though actually gas stations along the way and the time of each leg was determined by the time on a receipt at each fuel stop.

I was trying o find out the rules and such, but apparently the event has moved south to Oregon.

http://www.soundrider.com/3pass/

Anyway, perhaps we ought to figure a similar event for our group - including Oregon etc. There's a number of ways we could do it and, frankly, we wouldn't even have to do it as a group as each participant could do the route - say, Snoqualmie - Blewitt - Stevens, on their own.

Just a thought. Much easier to manage I suspect than a regular TSD rally, though CMCS used to do those back in the day and they were a lot of fun as well.

So, just sayin, but maybe worth consideration.

I know we have some riders on this forum as well as a few rallyist-types. Anyone ever done this sort of thing before?

Last edited by last901; 06-13-2017 at 06:56 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:28 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I've never done one of these but it sounds like a great thing to do on a bike or a car. Like you point out you can leave any time you want rather than in a group that may attract unwanted attention and ... distract from an efficient drive.
Old 06-14-2017, 02:50 AM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Well...I remember a blast along Hwy 20 from Sedro Woolley to Winthrop a few years ago. There was a "fast" group and a "slow" () group and boy was that a blast. Ill just say that we were really lucky that day and leave it alone right there.

Last edited by ExRedRacer; 06-14-2017 at 02:52 AM.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:37 AM
AaronZ51
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 520 Likes on 295 Posts

If you really want to do something like this, they still hold the Silver State Classic in Nevada twice a year. I've a couple friends who faithfully do this event every year and love it - it's organized by run groups for average speed over a distance. They close the roads to other motorists; run groups with average speeds of 110, 120, etc. They've tried talking me into it several times but so far I haven't partaken.

https://sscc.us/default.aspx
Old 06-14-2017, 11:14 AM
69_Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 400 Likes on 219 Posts

I did the "Iron Butt" sanctioned run where you go 1K miles on the bike in 24 hours or less.
My middle son was less than impressed. Then he had to do 600 miles on his bike one day!
LOL! He openly admitted a lot more respect for the iron butt after that! LOL!

Did 1 poker run a long time ago in the vette.

Scott
Old 06-14-2017, 11:42 PM
Mufflerbearing
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

[QUOTE=AaronZ51;1594943215]If you really want to do something like this, they still hold the Silver State Classic in Nevada twice a year. I've a couple friends who faithfully do this event every year and love it - it's organized by run groups for average speed over a distance. They close the roads to other motorists; run groups with average speeds of 110, 120, etc. They've tried talking me into it several times but so far I haven't partaken.

I was there in 94. As I recall it was founded by Indy car driver Roger Ward. The road at that time was closed to spectators and your option for viewing was to volunteer as a course worker to keep anyone and everything including cattle etc. off your small section of road frontage. You had to take and pass the Nevada state traffic flagger exam first.

I attended the car show, the dance the night before and drove a few miles down track to see if I was missing something. If not driving the event I think watching the videos was better. I don't know if it's all the same now or not after 23 years.

Last edited by Mufflerbearing; 06-14-2017 at 11:45 PM.
Old 06-15-2017, 04:32 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by AaronZ51
If you really want to do something like this, they still hold the Silver State Classic in Nevada twice a year. I've a couple friends who faithfully do this event every year and love it - it's organized by run groups for average speed over a distance. They close the roads to other motorists; run groups with average speeds of 110, 120, etc. They've tried talking me into it several times but so far I haven't partaken.

https://sscc.us/default.aspx
I have a friend who has done this in his Cayman and rally enjoyed it. He tried to get me to tag along,but the last time he asked me to tag along to anything, I ended up entering the event - in his car. No big story..

I am reminded, though of an event I reluctantly played a role in organizing when I was Chapter President of the local Alfa Club. I think this must have been about 1986 or 7. Flat out on public roads from Issaquah to Spokane. Fastest time wins. So many of the entrants either were delayed by multiple tickets issued by the State Patrol or ended found themselves in jail that I'm not sure anybody won. I think it was a couple of my friends from the Alfa club who drove a Ferrari Daytona.

Wish I'd kept the memorabilia from that event.

Wonder if anyone on this forum remembers that event? We tried to keep it pretty quiet but it didn't take the Law very long to figure out what was going on.

Get notified of new replies

To The Three Pass Blast

Quick Reply: The Three Pass Blast