Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

2017 GS Winter tires for Washington

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 12:41 AM
Athena Whitman
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2017 GS Winter tires for Washington

Sold my C5 that was my daily and now have a brand new Grand Sport. This big girl is also my daily. What options do we currently have for tires? I need rain tires. What are you guys running that are daily driving your cars. And yes I am aware most of you do not drive yours in the rain. But here in Washington we'd never get to drive them if we didn't . Lol
Old 02-12-2018, 01:53 AM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

I have been running the stock tires without issue, but the new A/S 3 is the only all season option for stock tire size.
Old 02-12-2018, 06:40 AM
mcoomer
Burning Brakes

Received 211 Likes on 154 Posts

Yeah, check with Tire Rack for the AS3's they're introducing. Think I remember them being available next month, but there's a thread on here with more details. I noted in that thread that they're not really intended for driving over 60F and doing so apparently voids your treadwear warranty so it looks like these would have to be used in a winter/summer rotation.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:50 AM
Athena Whitman
Cruising

Really? They feel scary at 32 degrees. Hell this morning is 30 but it' supposed to be a beautiful day. I'e also noticed it feels like she rubbing/jumping in the front when I turn the wheel at these low temps. I' assuming it's all a tire issue. The car is brand new. I ran Continental Extreme DWS's on my C5 and drove all winter. Hell she even did fantastic in the snow. Not so sure about this new beast.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:53 AM
NashvilleGrandSport
Melting Slicks

Received 716 Likes on 484 Posts

The all season Michelins that are on the horizon can be used year round. I had them on a 370Z I owned previously.

They are NOT a winter only snow tire.
The following users liked this post:
Apocolips (02-12-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 08:11 AM
Guy Oliver
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when and where to get all season tires for my 2017 grand sport
Old 02-12-2018, 08:31 AM
Athena Whitman
Cruising

Being new to the group how many daily theirs? And how many are from washington?
Old 02-12-2018, 08:33 AM
NashvilleGrandSport
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Guy Oliver
when and where to get all season tires for my 2017 grand sport
They are not available yet. Tire Rack said they'd have them upon their release from Michelin sometimes in March or April if I recall.
Athena Whitman (02-12-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 09:34 AM
cowboy casey
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 389 Posts

You are confusing winter tires and Ultra High Performance All-Season tires...

The warranty data sheet is for all tires, so the following is mentioned in the AS3+ warranty data sheet but it does not apply as they are not winter tires.. Please go back and correct your information..

Here is what the warranty states for WINTER tires:

Winter tires must be used during winter months only. These include the
months of September through April, defined as a period beginning on or after September 1st of a given year and ending no later than April 30th of the following year. MICHELIN® winter tires require documentation of the timing of the installation and removal of the tires each winter to maintain coverage under the limited warranty for treadwear.

Originally Posted by mcoomer
Yeah, check with Tire Rack for the AS3's they're introducing. Think I remember them being available next month, but there's a thread on here with more details. I noted in that thread that they're not really intended for driving over 60F and doing so apparently voids your treadwear warranty so it looks like these would have to be used in a winter/summer rotation.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:35 PM
Athena Whitman
Cruising

Just got off the phone with Les Schwab. They claim to not be able to get me into an all season. Shebthen proceeds to tell me these cars were never meant for winter or cold weather driving. Well they said the crap about the C5 too but she was great in the snow. Now I am not going to drive my C7 in the snow but damn it. I'd like to drive it in the rain.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:38 PM
NashvilleGrandSport
Melting Slicks

Be patient and keep checking the TIRE RACK website. The all-season tires are coming!
Old 02-12-2018, 02:42 PM
Athena Whitman
Cruising

As she sits.....lol
Old 02-12-2018, 02:44 PM
Athena Whitman
Cruising

I'd rather be putting mikes on it. We buy them to drive them. I don' garage queen my cars. Lol
we have some sun tomorrow but 30 degrees in the morning so we'll be rolling really slow......But she needs to get out.
Old 02-12-2018, 03:14 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by NashvilleGrandSport
Be patient and keep checking the TIRE RACK website. The all-season tires are coming!

Michelin has been promising All Season tires for the wide body cars for, literally, a decade. Finally the C6 widebodies got A/S tires this last Fall. I've seen posts here that Tire Rack is sufficiently confident on the C7 A/S arrival this Spring that they are taking advance orders now. So this could be the year!
Old 02-12-2018, 03:52 PM
buckeye4
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 118 Posts

Just returned from the golf course (34 degrees) and my winter tires are the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires. Photo is from last winter. I have had no problems with them and they are great for spring and late fall. Not run flat, just carry a small air pump and slime sealant. 13K miles on my 2017 with about 7K on the A/S 3+ tires. Not a GS however.

Last edited by buckeye4; 02-12-2018 at 03:54 PM.
Old 02-12-2018, 04:00 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Athena Whitman
Being new to the group how many daily theirs? And how many are from washington?
I am in Eastern WA so we don't get as much rain. Had the GS last winter and Z06 this winter with the stock MPSS tires. Last year I drove over the pass in the mid-30's. The Z06 is even more sketchy than the GS. You have to know when to counter steer before it is required.

Yes, the front tires do that skipping thing when it is cold, but pretty much goes away when hot. For all season tires you won't have any luck with Les Schwab. You probably want to stick with discount tire or one of the installers that tire rack recommends. The AS3's for stock size are not out yet, but probably in 1 month. You could consider a buying set of signature forged wheels in 19 front and 19 rear and get a set of AS3's right now.

Here are the rears.
https://tiresize.com/tires/Michelin/...-325-30R19.htm

Here are the fronts.
https://tiresize.com/tires/Michelin/...-285-30R19.htm

Notice, that setup has runflat on rear and non-runflat on front. If you want runflat front and rear you have to go to 18 front, which is fine too.

https://tiresize.com/tires/Michelin/...-275-35R18.htm
Old 02-12-2018, 07:23 PM
Athena Whitman
Cruising

The best response yet! Thank you very much! I was starting to have buyers remorse. I've daily driven many a sports cars and or hotrods through the years. My 1st car was a 1977 stingray, then later moved up to the C5. Never touched the C4. No offense I hated that car. And my other daily was a 1968 SS Nova. So I'm no stranger to difficulties using them as daily drivers but damn it. I bought the GS on Friday and have had more folks tell me it's a summer only rig and that I'm nuts. **** am.
I'm 40, no kids and make decent money. If I spend the money on the car I want to drive the **** out of it. Thank you very much DJ for setting me back on track to getting decent rubber under her so I can drive her everyday. The sad part is that being this has been since 2014...what the hell? Where's the all weather meats? I'll save the slicks for later....Lol
mine won't see the track anyway. She's a commuter. 100 miles a day
QUOTE=djnice;1596576870]I am in Eastern WA so we don't get as much

rain. Had the GS last winter and Z06 this winter with the stock MPSS tires. Last year I drove over the pass in the mid-30's. The Z06 is even more sketchy than the GS. You have to know when to counter steer before it is required.

Yes, the front tires do that skipping thing when it is cold, but pretty much goes away when hot. For all season tires you won't have any luck with Les Schwab. You probably want to stick with discount tire or one of the installers that tire rack recommends. The AS3's for stock size are not out yet, but probably in 1 month. You could consider a buying set of signature forged wheels in 19 front and 19 rear and get a set of AS3's right now.

Here are the rears.
https://tiresize.com/tires/Michelin/...-325-30R19.htm

Here are the fronts.
https://tiresize.com/tires/Michelin/...-285-30R19.htm

Notice, that setup has runflat on rear and non-runflat on front. If you want runflat front and rear you have to go to 18 front, which is fine too.

https://tiresize.com/tires/Michelin/...-275-35R18.htm[/QUOTE]

Last edited by Athena Whitman; 02-12-2018 at 07:23 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 2017 GS Winter tires for Washington

Old 02-12-2018, 09:08 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Here is a photo of mine with Signature wheels, 18F and 19R, and track slicks. Just gives you an idea of what the wheel sizes look like. The track rubber is about .5" to 1" taller than stock.

Athena Whitman (02-12-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 11:07 AM
Kevin_k
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default ExtremeContact+DWS+06

I use the Continental DW (Dry Wet) on my C5Z06. The idea was to have a tire that I could use for daily driving that would also be good in the rain at the track. The newer version is the DWS (Dry Wet Snow).

Theas might be exactly what you are looking for. Also there is another post in this forum from a guy asking the same question and a response from someone that is using the new DWS 06 tires you might want to check out. There is also a reference to a performance test video on tirerack

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums....php?t=4098854

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...Contact+DWS+06
Old 02-13-2018, 12:23 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

I have DWS on 3 of my cars. Unfortunately, neither the DW or DWS are available in GS/Z06 sizes. You can't even get them if you go down to 19" rears. You can get the extreme contact sport, but I doubt it is any better in the wet than the pilot super sport.

Quick Reply: 2017 GS Winter tires for Washington