Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

Remember to look both ways

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 11:50 AM
Awesterbeck
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Remember to look both ways

Morning guys! Happy Friday! This morning didn’t go quite as planned. It started off with my morning coffee and filling the tank up in the car. So I pull out of the gas station and head out to work. Nothing was abnormal or out of the ordinary. A car drove past me in the other lane and BAM!!!! A Lincoln MKX pulls out right in front of me without even looking to her left.....

I’m fine, the lady in the Lincoln is fine. She was very very apologetic and we exchanged info and called the police. But goddamn it.... what a way to start the day.

Old 05-04-2018, 01:45 PM
Mufflerbearing
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Sorry about the hit but glad you're OK. I see drivers every day that ought to be riding the bus instead of sitting behind the wheel.
The following users liked this post:
Awesterbeck (05-04-2018)
Old 05-04-2018, 03:54 PM
69_Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 400 Likes on 219 Posts

Yikes.
sorry the car was damaged but again, no one was hurt so the rest is just a nuisance!

On the bright side, since the car will get repaired and likely need some paint, a chat with the shop might get you discounted fixes on any other dings on the paint you may have.

Glad all were unharmed!
Scott
Awesterbeck (05-04-2018)
Old 05-04-2018, 05:48 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Ahh, Jeez!

Sorry to see this, but it's minor, relatively speaking. Glad everyone is alright
Awesterbeck (05-04-2018)
Old 05-04-2018, 05:59 PM
AaronZ51
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 520 Likes on 295 Posts

Man, what a way to start the day! I've had too many near misses from other people to count - and amazingly the number that can't seem to see a bright yellow Corvette, like yours or mine!

Glad you're doing ok - hope fault was established so you don't have to deal with that issue. Good luck with the repairs!
Awesterbeck (05-04-2018)
Old 05-04-2018, 06:12 PM
Awesterbeck
Instructor

Thanks guys. Hopefully it’ll all work itself out soon. I just don’t know how to go about insurance and repairs and whatnot since I’ve never been in an accident when it was my car. I went to the doctors too since my back was really stiff and then my left shoulder started killing me. Thank god I had a split second to slam on the brakes and slow down a bit. Hitting an SUV at 30 would have hurt a lot more.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:09 PM
duckvett
Safety Car

Received 920 Likes on 465 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2018 C6 of Year Winner

Was she on the phone? Texting?
Old 05-04-2018, 10:30 PM
Awesterbeck
Instructor

No, she honestly just didn’t look. She was trying to turn left out of a driveway and waited for the guy traveling in the opposite direction as me and didn’t even look. Luckily it happened like 2 blocks from home so I was at least able to get the car home.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:10 AM
Kmcoldcars
Melting Slicks

Received 285 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Awesterbeck
Thanks guys. Hopefully it’ll all work itself out soon. I just don’t know how to go about insurance and repairs and whatnot since I’ve never been in an accident when it was my car. I went to the doctors too since my back was really stiff and then my left shoulder started killing me. Thank god I had a split second to slam on the brakes and slow down a bit. Hitting an SUV at 30 would have hurt a lot more.
Do not let her insurance company tell you where to get the car repaired. You have the right to choose your own repair shop. Find one that knows Corvettes and has a good reputation.
Many people on here have been happy with Corvettes of Auburn. They did a great job of repairing my Z06 after it was hit.
Awesterbeck (05-05-2018)
Old 05-05-2018, 04:22 PM
Awesterbeck
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kmcoldcars
Do not let her insurance company tell you where to get the car repaired. You have the right to choose your own repair shop. Find one that knows Corvettes and has a good reputation.
Many people on here have been happy with Corvettes of Auburn. They did a great job of repairing my Z06 after it was hit.
I was going to try and get it to Corvette of Auburn. I just don’t know how to get it there. The car is drivable, but taking it from Everett to Auburn might be pushing it.
Old 05-05-2018, 05:31 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Awesterbeck
I was going to try and get it to Corvette of Auburn. I just don’t know how to get it there. The car is drivable, but taking it from Everett to Auburn might be pushing it.
You may want to ask a local U-Haul rental place for rates on a pickup and car trailer. It shouldn't take more than a day to rent a rig, load it and take it down to Auburn.

If it turns out that the lady was at fault, her insurance may even pay for the rental costs if you want to do the delivery. Definitely a good idea to file an accident report with the police. They can determine who was at fault.
Awesterbeck (05-05-2018)
Old 05-05-2018, 05:51 PM
fraziers LT4
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 44 Posts

Wow, it's painful to see torn up fiberglass. Since you are in Everett I would recommend Lynnwood Auto Rebuild at 19230 on 99 just north of James Village. They did a masterful job on my C6 when some oblivious dude on a motorized skateboard raked my door panel and on to the quarter panel. I got the reco to them from this forum and the work was top notch. They also did a fix up on my trunk deck at the same time on my dime and minimized the paint charges since it all came out of the same batch. Automotive finishes are very expensive. His insurance paid for the accident damage, I paid for the deck repair.
Awesterbeck (05-05-2018)
Old 05-05-2018, 06:16 PM
Awesterbeck
Instructor

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
You may want to ask a local U-Haul rental place for rates on a pickup and car trailer. It shouldn't take more than a day to rent a rig, load it and take it down to Auburn.

If it turns out that the lady was at fault, her insurance may even pay for the rental costs if you want to do the delivery. Definitely a good idea to file an accident report with the police. They can determine who was at fault.
We called the police as soon as it happened. The officer said it’s pretty straightforward that it was her fault since I had the right of way. So there is a police report.

That’s an option though for a truck and trailer. My co worker also suggested getting AAA and having them tow it. Not a bad idea to have AAA on a 20 year old vehicle too.
Old 05-05-2018, 06:18 PM
Awesterbeck
Instructor

Originally Posted by fraziers LT4
Wow, it's painful to see torn up fiberglass. Since you are in Everett I would recommend Lynnwood Auto Rebuild at 19230 on 99 just north of James Village. They did a masterful job on my C6 when some oblivious dude on a motorized skateboard raked my door panel and on to the quarter panel. I got the reco to them from this forum and the work was top notch. They also did a fix up on my trunk deck at the same time on my dime and minimized the paint charges since it all came out of the same batch. Automotive finishes are very expensive. His insurance paid for the accident damage, I paid for the deck repair.
Awesome thanks for the info, good to know! I was also considering Carstar Collision Clinic on 99 right past 220th since I work a couple blocks away at Honda. We send all of our damaged vehicles to them and they always seem to do a good job.
Old 05-18-2018, 03:16 PM
Awesterbeck
Instructor

Well, the car is totaled. There’s frame damage. I saw it for the last time today and it broke my heart. I got the owners manual and the original window sticker out of it and a few other things.

Time to shop for another one or do the “responsible” thing and buy a new Honda Accord Sport.

Last edited by Awesterbeck; 05-18-2018 at 03:17 PM.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:39 PM
AaronZ51
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 520 Likes on 295 Posts

^^^Life's too short to be that responsible. Get another one! Hopefully insurance takes good care of you AND her insurance provides you adequate compensation for your "pain & suffering." Unsettled insurance claims do NOT get smaller, they only increase. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 05-19-2018, 02:34 AM
Awesterbeck
Instructor

The medical claim will be open for awhile. My back and neck are pretty messed up. The Fiancé and I are going to look at a 2003 Z with about 40k miles tomorrow or Sunday though. Hopefully I’ll be back in a Vette soon.

Last edited by Awesterbeck; 05-19-2018 at 02:35 AM.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:12 AM
Blackfuriesfan Hawthorne
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about your neck and back & the Vette'!

I am Based in West Seattle and would like to meet other folks from the forum locally. if you get the Z It would be fun to cruise !
-Tim

Get notified of new replies

To Remember to look both ways

Quick Reply: Remember to look both ways