Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

Any known problems using Washington Ferry with a C7?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 10:38 PM
460HP-YLO-JAKT
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Any known problems using Washington Ferry with a C7?

As title says. We would like to use ferry from Port Townsend to Coupeville for the show up in Anacortes on June 2nd. Please advise and thanks.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:04 PM
C6 Snowboarder
Race Director

Received 684 Likes on 372 Posts

It is all about tide table and ferry departure time. I would not drive onto a ferry at a low tide .. also watch out for some larger ferries, the side loading up a ramp - to the upper level... when the ramp goes to horizontal is does it very very sharply and will scrape the middle of your lovely car. ask for main level load as you drive on.

Have a nice drive
The following users liked this post:
460HP-YLO-JAKT (05-24-2018)
Old 05-24-2018, 02:35 AM
NOWUCME
Melting Slicks

Received 459 Likes on 324 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C6 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by 460HP-YLO-JAKT
As title says. We would like to use ferry from Port Townsend to Coupeville for the show up in Anacortes on June 2nd. Please advise and thanks.
I ask a similar question awhile back on another thread. Thomda was nice enough to give this answer. He lives on Friday Harbor so should know...Might help. I'm coming over, maybe see you there..

"Let me say this about that. Ferry loading & unloading can be really great as in no worries or it can be extremely unnerving, just depends what "tard" they have operating the ramp and how they set it. Tides also have an effect, but I believe they could do a better job on low tides! My Vette is wide and low, the bottom/underneath deflector is about 1-1/2" off the pavement. I usually have to approach at an angle. Haven't scraped the front splitter that I'm aware of so far. If you do board a ferry and they try to direct you up to the side upper decks, refuse to go and they'll put you somewhere else. I very recently found out about requesting a "wide door" placard which is a laminated sign placed on your dash for loading purposes. I need to be able to fully open my Vette door to get in & out of it. This assures they load me so I can fully open my doors rather than be crammed between vehicles."
460HP-YLO-JAKT (05-25-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 01:52 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by C6 Snowboarder
It is all about tide table and ferry departure time. I would not drive onto a ferry at a low tide .. also watch out for some larger ferries, the side loading up a ramp - to the upper level... when the ramp goes to horizontal is does it very very sharply and will scrape the middle of your lovely car. ask for main level load as you drive on.

Port Townsend ferry is a smaller one so you won't have an issue with decks--just the tide.
460HP-YLO-JAKT (05-31-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 08:45 PM
koranke
Racer

Received 204 Likes on 61 Posts

Officially, they don't load vehicles with less than 12 inches of clearance. I think Corvettes only have around 8 inches. Unofficially, as others have said, it depends on the tides.

Get notified of new replies

To Any known problems using Washington Ferry with a C7?

Quick Reply: Any known problems using Washington Ferry with a C7?