Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

PCH Drive - Seattle to San Francisco

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2019, 11:40 AM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by MSG C5
Thanks. What are the “Olympics” referenced. I live in the opposite corner if the country, Florida, so I’m not familiar with all the local sites. Does this reference the views or drive around Mount Rainier national park?
That's actually not a bad idea if you had the time and a drive out of Port Angeles up to Hurricane Ridge is pretty spectacular. The "loop" as it's commonly called would put you on 101 about as far north as one can get, but it takes time and does add a northward leg to the journey. Then of course, you would probably end up going down the Washington Coast which IMO isn't all thar scenic. The Olympics are in the NW corner of the state. Nt Rainier is near the center in the Cascades. A nice drive, usually, but will add even more time to the drive.

I've never tried to do both parks in one day. I suppose it could be done but by the time you leave the airport, drive to Olympic National Park and then to Mt Rainier and back to 101 it's a long day and you'd still be in Washington. If you're trying to do as much driving on 101, I'd skip the Mt Rainier side trip. Oh, if you happen to pass through the community of Forks, watch out for vampires and werewolves. It was the setting for that - what was it? - Twilight series.

Just a thought.
The following users liked this post:
MSG C5 (06-29-2019)
Old 06-29-2019, 11:56 AM
Car Rookie
Racer

Received 159 Likes on 66 Posts

The Olympics are a mountain range. That you would want to explore on a different trip. They are the range you see in this picture. Mt.Rainier is in the cascades, the range that runs through the middle of Washington state. The Olympics are on the northwestern peninsula of the state. I thought you were from here. If it were me and I did this same trip earlier this year, I would avoid the Washington coast, it runs inland quite a bit of it and the other parts you are in forests and can not see the ocean anyways. It adds time to the drive because of speed limit changes as you go through all the little towns and such. I have been down some of the Oregon coast but not all and it was pretty spectacular the few times I drove it, I do believe the same is true for it as well with it taking more time due to speed limits. Tillamook is as far down as I have been on the Oregon coast. These may be HWYS or state routes but are really backcountry roads that are two-lane and posted 55 most of the time and slower the rest, and cops just waiting to pull you over and give you a souvenir. If I were taking your route I would drive I5 to Longview then kick over on route 30 to Astoria. I looked at the route you posted and the stop in shelter cove is one way in, one way out so to me that is unnecessary backtracking, not trying to tell you how to plan your route just making an observation. You are going the have a great drive no matter what route you take. Enjoy.
The following 2 users liked this post by Car Rookie:
last901 (06-29-2019), MSG C5 (06-29-2019)
Old 06-30-2019, 01:34 AM
jimijam
Melting Slicks

Received 936 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Rookie
Mt.Rainier is in the cascades, the range that runs through the middle of Washington state.
Not exactly, but people that have never been east of the mountains would think so. Lol.

Old 06-30-2019, 11:16 AM
Car Rookie
Racer

Originally Posted by jimijam
Not exactly, but people that have never been east of the mountains would think so. Lol.

What are you talking about? Oh ok, it is the range that divides the state east to west OR that runs down almost the middle of the state... You know what they say about assuming...

Last edited by Car Rookie; 06-30-2019 at 11:17 AM.
Old 07-02-2019, 05:10 PM
Zorro O
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

I would definitely take the advice from above. Get as far south of Seattle as you can on Friday night, Grants Pass if you can. I very much prefer this drive at night anyway. Then Grants Pass to Fort Bragg, then the next day San Francisco. This is only if you rent a sports car otherwise in August fly. If you can get your hands on a sports car that drive from Legget too Fort Bragg is an E ticket ride! In an average rental car it’s an endless nightmare. Just my opinion others my differ. If I was you I would fly home get my vette and spend four days or a week driving up 1 and 101 to Seattle. Ive done this several times going both ways. If you can do it when school is in session (less winnebagos and trailers during September) it’s a bucket list quality experience. If you do this in an average rental car you will spend the whole trip wishing you had your Corvette. This is one of those great American drives like Route 66, what you drive matters.
Old 07-02-2019, 05:57 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jimijam

Okay, you're right. I don't have my surveying app up and running yet, but as I view the map, it's apparent that the Cascade Mountains do tend to seem to favor the left side of the state. Much like their left-leaning voters. Forgive me. Yes, Washington is, to some peoples' political leanings mostly a progressive or. liberals and, and sadly, a large homeless population. None of this information, while significant has nothing to do with your planned adventure. Unless you had planned to vote, but that's a few months away.

Forget the Olympic Peninsula and Mt Rainier for now. Go south young man, go south. Mountains are mountains and don't appear to be going anywhere anytime soon.

We all have our favorite tours and drives, none, of us, save you, perhaps, are driving PCH to SFO.

wish I was going with you.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:59 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Trying to get on 101 thru the Olympics via Edmunds and the ferry would tack on an extra day easy. Nice drive once you get through the traffic glop, but the ferry wait can by abysmal. Suggest you head south on -5 and hang a right at Olympia and grab 101 south thru Astoria. You're gonna LOVE the bridge across the Columbia into Oregon. If you survive that the rest is easy peasy. Another vote for Tillamook Cheese factory and the best ice cream ever.
last901 (07-06-2019)
Old 07-08-2019, 08:53 PM
Rogue C6
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interested to know how your trip went!
Old 07-09-2019, 12:25 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,685 Likes on 1,484 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Rogue C6
Thanks. It's scheduled for 8/3-8/5. I will definitely post a recap with pics.

Rogue C6 (07-09-2019)
Old 08-13-2019, 08:27 PM
Car Rookie
Racer

Originally Posted by MSG C5
Thanks. It's scheduled for 8/3-8/5. I will definitely post a recap with pics.

Hello, Did you make it back? How was the trip? Tell us the route you took.
Old 09-15-2019, 04:10 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,685 Likes on 1,484 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Rogue C6
Originally Posted by Car Rookie
Hello, Did you make it back? How was the trip? Tell us the route you took.

Thanks again everyone for all the tips and advise. I did take the trip the first weekend in August and I'm just now able to post the (many) pics.

Day 1: I drove about 333 miles from Seattle, WA to Astoria, OR. I took the longer, scenic route where I traveled north out of Seattle on I-5 in order to take the Edmonds-Kingston ferry. After the ferry ride, I drove west and eventually south on HWY 104 and then onto HWY 101 along the Pacific west coast so that I could enjoy the beauty of the Olympic National Park. After all the twists and turns, the scariest part of the drive was the last four miles over the Astoria Megler Bridge that crosses the Columbia River into Astoria. Only two lanes, and very tight.

Day 2: I drove the entire west coast of Oregon from Astoria into Crescent City, CA or about 370 miles. The scenery was incredible with some of the best views being the actual road I was driving. At times the forest woods were so thick I needed to turn my lights on even though the sun was shining. There was some early morning fog in northern Oregon that eventually burned off but I took some shots higher in the mountains where the fog was below me and it felt like I was in the clouds. Since I live on the west coast of Florida with our beautiful, flat, white-sand beaches, I’m fascinated by the series of huge rock formations near the beach. This was my first time driving the Oregon coastline and I definitely want to do it again when I have more time to explore the scenery and sites off of HWY 101.

Day 3: As stunning as the Oregon coastline was, it seemed as though I saved the best for last. Northern Cali - Crescent City to San Francisco or about 375 miles. I picked up PCH Highway 1 south of Leggett after enjoying the Avenue of the Giants in the Humbolt Redwoods State Park. Driving PCH south of Leggett is literally like driving a rollercoaster through the woods and mountains with all the blind twists and turns. It was definitely an exhilarating adrenaline rush. I couldn't imagine driving that road at night.

Last edited by MSG C5; 09-15-2019 at 08:34 PM.
Rogue C6 (09-17-2019)
Old 09-15-2019, 05:41 PM
Car Rookie
Racer

I am glad you had a great drive and thank you for posting so many spectacular pictures of your adventure.
Old 09-15-2019, 06:59 PM
AaronZ51
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 520 Likes on 295 Posts

They are great pictures - thank you for posting all you did!

I've driven a lot of this route a couple times and it never gets old. I had to drive my Z06 from just south of LA to Seattle in December 2016 and did too much of the PCH at night in the rain - I had my hand controls installed on my new car so it was drive it home or have it transported. Was still enjoyable but kind of tense with the narrow twisty roads and lack of visibility.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:31 PM
ChriZ
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Loved your pics! Looks like I need to take this trip myself as I’ve never done it.
thanks
Old 09-17-2019, 10:35 PM
Rogue C6
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great shots! Thanks for sharing. I am glad you had a good time. That same trip takes me way longer. LOL There is so much to see. Makes me want to do it again.
Old 01-29-2020, 11:47 PM
Jaykoh-Z51
Drifting

Received 382 Likes on 267 Posts

amazing...I can't wait to do this
Old 01-30-2020, 05:26 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Wow! Indeed the photos were great. You have a good eye for scenic photography. Saw some interesting spots in your photos I had not seen before. Makes me want to make that trip again - only given more time.

Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To PCH Drive - Seattle to San Francisco

Old 01-30-2020, 06:50 PM
C6 Snowboarder
Race Director

Received 684 Likes on 372 Posts

just drove from Pebble Beach back to Seattle...

here is GF between a few small trees.

MSG C5 (08-20-2020)
Old 02-01-2020, 09:17 PM
69_Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 400 Likes on 219 Posts

Some beautiful shots in this thread! Thanks all for sharing!
Scott
Old 02-01-2020, 09:51 PM
31coupe
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Day 3 will be a long winding road very slow, from Fort Bragg to Jenner is a long slow ride.. you need an extra day for your trip I think..

Quick Reply: PCH Drive - Seattle to San Francisco