Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

70th Corvette Anniversary celebration at LeMay? Interested? Who'd like to help plan?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2022, 12:45 PM
kawils2
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Join us & Sign uo: 8/19/2023 at LeMay, Corvette 70th Anniversary Celebration

THIS 8/19/2023 EVENT IS HAPPENNING! SEE THE STICKY MESSAGE AT THE TOP OF THIS SECTION (or look below) FOR REGISTRATION INFORMATION AND MORE DETAILS!
With the 70th Anniversary of Corvette coming up next year it seems like something worth celebrating with fellow Corvette Enthusiasts. Here in Central Puget Sound I've contacted LeMay, America's car museum in Tacoma and have reserved 2 dates: Saturday June 3rd, and Saturday August 19th. I'm picturing 200 to 225 Corvettes showing up on one of those 2 days and filling up Haub Field for a Corvette Show (not sure about judging, trophies etc.) People showing up with their Corvettes would get reduced entry into the museum on that day ($10 entry versus the normal $18). There COULD be music, Food trucks etc. outside too. It would be great if the local clubs would participate (I'm with Corvette Marque Club of Seattle, Eastside Corvette Club, and the Solid Axle Corvette Club), so I'm sure I can get them to participate.

This is just in the formation stages at this point so I'm throwing out there with a few questions:
1) Would you bring your Corvette to such an event next summer?
2) Would you still show up if there were a charge (say $25?) This then would be judging/trophies
3) Do you currently belong to a Corvette Club, If so which?
4) Would you be willing to be on a committee with me to put this event together?

If there is enough interest in this and enough initial help, then we can get it put together! No doubt we'd need some more volunteers to help out on the day of the event.

Thanks for your input!
Kevin Wilson

Last edited by kawils2; 07-12-2023 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Refer to Sticky
The following 4 users liked this post by kawils2:
Anthony253 (03-06-2023), chevyorange (11-24-2022), Oh 2 Fun (01-21-2023), Pile_Driver (05-21-2023)
Old 11-23-2022, 04:46 PM
ericba
Instructor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 86 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by kawils2
With the 70th Anniversary of Corvette coming up next year it seems like something worth celebrating with fellow Corvette Enthusiasts. Here in Central Puget Sound I've contacted LeMay, America's car museum in Tacoma and have reserved 2 dates: Saturday June 3rd, and Saturday August 19th. I'm picturing 200 to 225 Corvettes showing up on one of those 2 days and filling up Haub Field for a Corvette Show (not sure about judging, trophies etc.) People showing up with their Corvettes would get reduced entry into the museum on that day ($10 entry versus the normal $18). There COULD be music, Food trucks etc. outside too. It would be great if the local clubs would participate (I'm with Corvette Marque Club of Seattle, Eastside Corvette Club, and the Solid Axle Corvette Club), so I'm sure I can get them to participate.

This is just in the formation stages at this point so I'm throwing out there with a few questions:
1) Would you bring your Corvette to such an event next summer? Yes
2) Would you still show up if there were a charge (say $25?) This then would be judging/trophies Yes
3) Do you currently belong to a Corvette Club, If so which? No
4) Would you be willing to be on a committee with me to put this event together? No

If there is enough interest in this and enough initial help, then we can get it put together! No doubt we'd need some more volunteers to help out on the day of the event.

Thanks for your input!
Kevin Wilson
I would be interested! See responses above:

Eric
Old 01-20-2023, 03:42 PM
Dad's '66 427
Drifting

Received 1,568 Likes on 621 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I would be interested as well.....

I have the same answers as Eric.......

Please keep us posted, and when a date is selected, can you PM me?

Thank you!!!
Old 01-21-2023, 03:54 PM
Oh 2 Fun
Le Mans Master

Received 560 Likes on 238 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '13, '15

I'm interested in possible attendance at least. A charge is fine but I really don't care about judging and trophies etc. Food, live music, maybe some sort of game(s) would be my preference. Just to have that many together and the comaraderie is what I like.

How to others feel about judging and trophies?? Necessary?
Old 01-21-2023, 08:31 PM
ericba
Instructor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 86 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23

Yeah, judging & trophies are not necessary IMO.
Old 03-06-2023, 07:49 AM
Anthony253
5th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Answers to LeMay prospect

[123 QUOTE=kawils2;1605944463]With the 70th Anniversary of Corvette coming up next year it seems like something worth celebrating with fellow Corvette Enthusiasts. Here in Central Puget Sound I've contacted LeMay, America's car museum in Tacoma and have reserved 2 dates: Saturday June 3rd, and Saturday August 19th. I'm picturing 200 to 225 Corvettes showing up on one of those 2 days and filling up Haub Field for a Corvette Show (not sure about judging, trophies etc.) People showing up with their Corvettes would get reduced entry into the museum on that day ($10 entry versus the normal $18). There COULD be music, Food trucks etc. outside too. It would be great if the local clubs would participate (I'm with Corvette Marque Club of Seattle, Eastside Corvette Club, and the Solid Axle Corvette Club), so I'm sure I can get them to participate.

1) Would you bring your Corvette to such an event next summer? YES
2) Would you still show up if there were a charge (say $25?) This then would be judging/trophies YES
3) Do you currently belong to a Corvette Club, If so which? NOT YET
4) Would you be willing to be on a committee with me to put this event together? POSSIBLY

Thanks for your input!
Kevin Wilson[/QUOTE]
Old 03-07-2023, 02:04 PM
kawils2
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Save the date: 8/19/2023 at LeMay, Corvette 70th Anniversary Celebration

OK, it seems like there is enough interest to move forward with this. I've worked some more with LeMay, America's Car Museum in Tacoma and have reserved Haub Field (this costs $2,000 for the day) for August 19th to Celebrate the 70th Anniversary of Corvette. Here is what I am picturing at this point:

A Celebratory Gathering & Car Show honoring the 70th Anniversary of America’s Sports Car – The Corvette!
This event is currently in the planning stages, Tentative activities are as follows:
Where: LeMay - America’s Car Museum (ACM) in Tacoma
Cost: Yet to be determined, but probably around $25 with Museum entrance, $15 without museum entry.
Events: Beginning at appx. 8:30am – Park your Corvette on Haub Field at ACM, along with other Corvette Enthusiasts from the area for a display of 70 years of Corvettes. Enjoy music, drinks (beer garden?) food trucks, beautiful Corvettes & camaraderie. Tour the museum on your own timeframe. This is not a judged or trophied car show, strictly good fun.
8:30 am, Begin Arrivals, park your Corvette for display on Haub Field
10am, The museum opens
Music, Food Trucks, Vendors throughout the day.
5pm: Museum Closes
5pm: Show on Haub field ends

Still more work to be done on this for sure. I'm going to be at Tacoma Corvette Clubs open house at Corvettes of Auburn this Saturday and will toss the idea out there as well and attempt to get a few volunteers from a couple clubs to help out. More to come as details get nailed down. If you want to help out on this please PM me your contact information, (Name, Phone Number, E-mail address, Location) & I can put you on a volunteer list & as tasks come up I can toss them out on e-mail & see who can do them, and we can use e-mail to make plans etc.
Thanks!
The following 2 users liked this post by kawils2:
ericba (03-07-2023), Michael Clemans (03-07-2023)
Old 03-07-2023, 06:57 PM
Michael Clemans
Instructor

Received 250 Likes on 81 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Now you're running on all 8 cylinders. This sounds like fun.
Old 04-02-2023, 04:01 AM
CamarosRus
Melting Slicks

Received 943 Likes on 606 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Its FUN for those that SHOW UP the Day Of...................

IT's a TON of WORK for the 1/2 Dozen that Do All The Planning, Marketing, Coordination......ALL THE WORK
Old 05-03-2023, 05:13 PM
kawils2
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

HI Russ, didn't you work on that 500 Corvettes gathering at the Puyallup Fairgrounds 6 or 7 (or 10) years ago. Great event!
Old 05-05-2023, 12:39 AM
chevyorange
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 173 Likes on 80 Posts

I have a humble 2000 Z51 but I'd be there!

No need for trophies for me... but a T-shirts may be cool!!

I am also a member of CMCS!
The following users liked this post:
kawils2 (05-22-2023)
Old 05-16-2023, 05:13 PM
kawils2
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default It's a Go!

OK fellow Corvette Enthusiasts - we are going ahead with this event on August 19th at LeMay in Tacoma. I'm hoping we can get 200 or so Corvettes on Haub Field. You can register for the event at the following link (and pay by Credit Card, or print & complete form & mail a check as directed):
Corvette Marque Club of Seattle - 70th Anniversary Gathering of Corvettes: Americas's Halo Sportscar at LeMay.

Costs are $25 for field access parking and all day museum entrance; $18 for those who already are LeMay members, or don't want museum access. The entry fee is set to cover the cost of Haub field, port-a-potties, Garbage cans, Music DJ, museum entry and on and on.
I'll create a new 'sticky" posting for this event, but in the meantime let all the Corvette owners you know in on this. I'm hoping for a big turnout of Corvettes of all kinds.

I'm attaching the initial flyer with a registration form on the back for those who wish to register by mail. Any questions send me an e-mail or PM. My e-mail address is on the flyer.
Old 05-16-2023, 05:51 PM
CamarosRus
Melting Slicks

Received 943 Likes on 606 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

What will it cost to bring your spouse and two people tour the museum ?
Old 05-17-2023, 12:23 AM
kawils2
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Your plus 1 can get into the museum for an additional $15, that's $7 off the normal entry fee. Bring $15 cash with you to pick up the extra ticket the day of the event.
Pile_Driver (05-21-2023)
Old 05-21-2023, 10:41 PM
Pile_Driver
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

This sounds great! Glass Odyssey will be pushing this event over on the west side.

Thanks again for putting this together!
kawils2 (05-22-2023)
Old 05-22-2023, 11:30 AM
chevyorange
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 173 Likes on 80 Posts

I'm registered and paid! See you all there!!
kawils2 (05-22-2023)
Old 05-23-2023, 12:07 AM
kawils2
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

see the sticky message at the top of this section for registration information and more details! 5/22/2023

Get notified of new replies

To 70th Corvette Anniversary celebration at LeMay? Interested? Who'd like to help plan?

Old 07-07-2023, 04:44 PM
kawils2
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Get Signed up for the 70th Anniversary Celebration!

Hello everyone, we've got the Beer Truck & Food truck & Music all scheduled, plus a few Vendors & some SWAG too , and of course Access into the Fabulous Museum, all for the reasonable sign-up fee of $25. Remember, this is a gathering of Corvette's and their owners to Celebrate the 70th Anniversary of Corvette: America's Halo Car, so get signed up & join us on August 19th at Haub Field at LeMay - America's Car Museum. This is open to ALL CORVETTES! Let's show those other Marques (Mustang, Porsche, BMW etc.) how to Celebrate!
You can Sign up here:
Corvette Marque Club of Seattle - 70th Anniversary Gathering of Corvettes: America's Halo Sportscar at LeMay

More Details are in the Sticky note at the top of this NW Section.
Old 08-03-2023, 04:26 PM
kawils2
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Weather Looking Perfect - Let's break out those Classic Corvettes & show them off!

The weather is looking great for this Celebratory Gathering: 76 degrees and sunny! Let's break out those classic Corvettes and show them to the public! I'm bringing my '62 down from Sammamish. We will park some of the classic & other "special" Corvettes on the plaza right out front of LeMay, which not to be forgotten is Air-Conditioned luxury for those who visit. Join Us! It will be a great day!
Register here:
Corvette Marque Club of Seattle - 70th Anniversary Gathering of Corvettes: America's Halo Sportscar at LeMay

Old 08-13-2023, 08:54 PM
F15DOC
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts

Bummer I have to work on the 19th! Looks like a great time!

Quick Reply: 70th Corvette Anniversary celebration at LeMay? Interested? Who'd like to help plan?