Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

por-15

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 10:29 PM
ford4play
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default por-15

I think i read where you can shoot the stuff, am i correct? i know there are alot of people who have used it so i just want an honest opinion. they sell it with a brush, which concerns me alot. is por-15 pretty leveling, or does it show all the brush marks if you paint it with the brush? i know it seems like a great product, but do you have to spray to make it look like a good product?
Old 02-19-2007, 10:35 PM
SEVNT6
Le Mans Master

Received 1,816 Likes on 825 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

It says you can shoot it. It won't leave brush marks if you follow the directions.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:04 PM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Self leveling, if put on correctly.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:33 PM
Toms82
Instructor

Hi,
I used it on my frame, levels very well.
Good luck,
Tom
Old 02-20-2007, 04:39 PM
73C3
Instructor

You can shoot it but you will need a special mask and ventallation. READ THE CAUTIONS. THIS STUFF IS REAL NASTY WITH FUMES.
I used a dense foam roller and it worked super. No marks what so ever, it looks sprayed. My friend used a brush and to my amazement it looked just as good as sprayed also.

This stuff drys very slow according to the humidity and is very thin and self levelling.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:53 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,618 Likes on 1,338 Posts

Contains isocyanides you need a fresh air system to spray it. Respirators will not filter out isocyanides. I know a guy who didn't read the label and ended up in the hospital ER. Brushing is ok, use a fan if you want to blow the vapors away from you. Will self level. Need to top coat or it will weather in UV light.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:09 PM
Godfathers Ghost
Racer

Yes you can spray it, there are directions on the can with info on thinner ratio.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:29 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Like Gary says .. best to topcoat it.
After the POR gets tacky (partial cured), you spray a dusting
of your favorite enamel onto it. This creates a bonding layer
for an enamel topcoat, while allowing the POR to still cure.
It needs water vapor to get in to cure. The next day, you are
all set to spray on a beautiful layer of whatever you choose.
I used Krylon semi-black spray bombs for most stuff ... looks great.

Old 02-20-2007, 11:14 PM
carl a
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just about every thing under the car is por-15 or one of there products, except the jet coating and chrome--------------------------------------
Old 02-21-2007, 12:00 AM
cherrybombc3
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I love the stuff, use the prep and do it right! It has awesome leveling properties & will look like glass on good surface. I have inadvertantly banged it wrenching and it hasnt chipped.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:40 PM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

You can spray it. The even have a solvent to dilute the stuff for spraying. Just remember to have a good air system to do it. This stuff will make you sick if sprayed indoors. I personally brushed the stuff on my car. I can tell you this the paint is so good it survived a week in Katrina water without so much as flinching. It looks just as good as when I put it on the car. I plan on using this stuff on every metal piece I can get my hands on.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:11 PM
Michel B
Burning Brakes

Location: Ville de la Baie Quebec. A winner is just a loser who tried again.
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Not to long ago I read up on a comparison test between POR-15 and Eastwoods Rust-encapsulator, I found it through Google. It was very interesting, At the end the tester does state that both products work very well but Eastwoods came out better. POR-15 was prone to rust creeping under and lifting the coating from unpainted areas, you can fix this problem by making sure you coat everything completly. Also eastwood sells a spray bomb of there product for ease of use. I did not check how much the products cost but for me this would be the deciding factor, Also the spraybomb is interesting,,,
Old 02-23-2007, 11:40 PM
roger55
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by GTR1999
Contains isocyanides you need a fresh air system to spray it. Respirators will not filter out isocyanides. I know a guy who didn't read the label and ended up in the hospital ER. Brushing is ok, use a fan if you want to blow the vapors away from you. Will self level. Need to top coat or it will weather in UV light.
Not quite right.
First of all it is "isocyanates" that you refer to. Not "isocyanides".
And OV (carbon) cartridge respirators DO filter isocyanates. Also, POR-15 does not contain isocyanates. Hardeners in 2K paint systems are what contain isocyanates.

The 3 most common isocyanates found in 2K hardeners are:
HEXAMETHYLENE DIISOCYANATE
ISOPHRONE DIISOCYANATE
DIPHENYLMETHANE DIISOCYANATE

Here is a link to the 2007 3M Respirator Selection Guide that I have downloaded:

http://home.austin.rr.com/lt1/3mRespGuide.pdf

As you can see, 3M's recommended cartridge for these isocyanates is OV/N95. (Organic Vapor with particulate pre-filter)
However it states either "Warning Unknown" or "Poor Warning". What they are saying here is, when the cartridge is saturated you can't tell by smell because isocyanates have no odor.

Due to the danger of the isocyanates and the poor warning combination, supplied air respirators are the only recommended way to go.

If you are going to use the OV cartridge while shooting 2K paints, I would use new cartridges everyday and make sure your mask fits tightly. Also make sure you get the best ventilation possible in your garage or spraybooth to keep the concentrations as low as possible.
The fact is that it can be done and it is done all the time. I have done it before but intend to get a supplied air system before my next paint job with 2K paints.

Roger

Last edited by roger55; 02-23-2007 at 11:43 PM.
Old 02-24-2007, 12:33 AM
ford4play
Intermediate

well, from what i see, i guess i'll go with the por-15. seems like good product, was just afraid i would see the brush strokes if I used brush.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:24 AM
Michel B
Burning Brakes

Location: Ville de la Baie Quebec. A winner is just a loser who tried again.
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by roger55
Not quite right.
First of all it is "isocyanates" that you refer to. Not "isocyanides".
And OV (carbon) cartridge respirators DO filter isocyanates. Also, POR-15 does not contain isocyanates. Hardeners in 2K paint systems are what contain isocyanates.

The 3 most common isocyanates found in 2K hardeners are:
HEXAMETHYLENE DIISOCYANATE
ISOPHRONE DIISOCYANATE
DIPHENYLMETHANE DIISOCYANATE

Here is a link to the 2007 3M Respirator Selection Guide that I have downloaded:

http://home.austin.rr.com/lt1/3mRespGuide.pdf

As you can see, 3M's recommended cartridge for these isocyanates is OV/N95. (Organic Vapor with particulate pre-filter)
However it states either "Warning Unknown" or "Poor Warning". What they are saying here is, when the cartridge is saturated you can't tell by smell because isocyanates have no odor.

Due to the danger of the isocyanates and the poor warning combination, supplied air respirators are the only recommended way to go.

If you are going to use the OV cartridge while shooting 2K paints, I would use new cartridges everyday and make sure your mask fits tightly. Also make sure you get the best ventilation possible in your garage or spraybooth to keep the concentrations as low as possible.
The fact is that it can be done and it is done all the time. I have done it before but intend to get a supplied air system before my next paint job with 2K paints.

Roger
Roger; I see you did your homework lol,,, I'm by far a professional painter but part of my work is painting aircraft parts and we only use Polyeurothane paints wich contain isocyanates. Our work installations are governed by federal rules and you would be surprised at what you must have to use these paints. shops are divided in three parts, a contaminated area, a transition area with showers and a clean area. This stuff will migrate through unprotected skin. The ONLY time it is acceptable to use a cartrige versus positive air is when appling paint with brush or roller. Spraying atomises the paint into the ambiant air and multiplies the toxicity. All these nice things said,,,lol I do realise that most people do not come in contact with this paint more than once or twice in there lifetime and most likly will not be affected. Its like smoking one pack of cigs once in your life, (figure of speach). We do have a rule of thumb when using cartrige filters with this paint; because there is no way to know when the charcoal is gummed up, we limit our exposure and replace the cartriges every ten minutes. I'm not trying to scare anybody, but its a good idea to use common sense in personal safety,, gloves, nylon coveralls, hood and full face mask and of corse a shower afterwards and your in bussiness.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:18 PM
chevyreb
Instructor

I have used the POR-15 a good bit and it is awsome stuff, very tuff. As stated above follow the directions and prep and its good to go. It is UV sensitive so i always paint a topcoat over it. But it really does self level with a brush and looks just as good as being sprayed on. Only thing is use a brush that does not lose it's bristles easly. I had some cheepo brushes and the bristles kept coming of on the parts in the paint .

Two other tips, wear a long sleave shirt and gloves to keep this stuff off of your skin. Once it dries on you it's there for days! Second is use it in a well ventilated area even when brushing or rolling it on. The fumes can make you light headed and sick. I use a 3M mask now whenever I use it.

Good Luck.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:44 PM
BondoKing
Intermediate

Guys, you would all be much better off to use an epoxy that you can buy online or from your local jobber ( auto paint store ).. POR is supposed to go over rusted surfaces, cleaned and prepped rusty surfaces, but rust no less.. I have stripped the junk off of cars I was restoring for customers more than once, and it is just trash IMO.. It does not have that great of adhesion and will lift and I have also seen rust come back thru it as well on parts my customers had coated it with.. I have also seen it used as a primer on a car, that started to delaminate.. why?? it went over non rusted surface that was prepped with 36 grit and still failed with all that tooth to bite into

Floor pans, rear ends, entire undercarriages, I have seen this product fail..
I am not in any way trying to rain on the parade, but I dont like to see people spend money on products that wont last.. Of course there are going to be some who swear by it, but epoxy would be a much better choice and it can be brushed on as well as sprayed.. No Iso's in it either

Its just another point of view is all

Get notified of new replies

To por-15

Old 03-05-2007, 09:17 PM
cherrybombc3
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BondoKing
Guys, you would all be much better off to use an epoxy that you can buy online or from your local jobber ( auto paint store ).. POR is supposed to go over rusted surfaces, cleaned and prepped rusty surfaces, but rust no less.. I have stripped the junk off of cars I was restoring for customers more than once, and it is just trash IMO.. It does not have that great of adhesion and will lift and I have also seen rust come back thru it as well on parts my customers had coated it with.. I have also seen it used as a primer on a car, that started to delaminate.. why?? it went over non rusted surface that was prepped with 36 grit and still failed with all that tooth to bite into

Floor pans, rear ends, entire undercarriages, I have seen this product fail..
I am not in any way trying to rain on the parade, but I dont like to see people spend money on products that wont last.. Of course there are going to be some who swear by it, but epoxy would be a much better choice and it can be brushed on as well as sprayed.. No Iso's in it either

Its just another point of view is all
If it didnt hold up and perform better than a rattle can epoxy, you didnt follow the directions, period!! Some people use POR-15like paint, the prep is everything. IMO
Old 03-06-2007, 04:26 AM
BondoKing
Intermediate

I was not speaking of a rattle can anything.. I was speaking of 2k epoxy that you can buy online or at your local paint jobber.. It is designed to be sprayed, but you can brush on a frame if you so chose to
Old 03-06-2007, 08:23 AM
crazywelder
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

POR and Epoxy paint are for 2 entirely different applications in my opinion.

POR is a short term, and quick dress up coating designed to be applied over rust for certain applications and has very limited use in the restoration process. POR is good product to improve the undercarriage appearance of a driver quality car or as touch up on an older restoration, but should not be used on a quality restoration project to replace rust removal or conventional paint methods. Due to POR's limitations, it should not be relied upon to last the life of a restoration especially in difficult to access areas.

Epoxy is a very good choice for frames and undercarriage components during a restoration project where all parts are disassembled, cleaned, and painted. Epoxy will provide a durable surface as well as corrosion protection and excellent adhesion to clean steel for many years.

Quick Reply: por-15