Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Lacquer paint Q

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 08:38 PM
7Deuce
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lacquer paint Q

I have a 72 with original lacquer paint. In some areas it is getting hazy/oxidized. Last year I did a clay bar followed by the Mequiars 3 step system (cleaner/polish/wax). This did improve the finish but I still think it can look better. I was wondering if it is safe to use a rubbing compound on lacquer paint? When I was at the auto store the other day the turtle wax rubbing compound said that it removes oxidation from paint. I wanted to ask the forum first before trying this on a original lacquer (no clear coat) finish.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:00 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Try it under the rear bumper. It should be fine. It is more agressive than the Meguir's polish, so take it easy.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:04 PM
1970 stingray
Intermediate

Yes you can use rubbing compound on lacquer paint . 3m has several varieties out there . theres perfect it 3 thats ok . i personally like the macguires diamond cut . ive used both and i like the diamond cut better . you do not want to use a heavy duty rubbing compound of any kind . you can apply the diamond cut or perfect it 3 with a wool or foam pad . wool pads are more aggressive and cut faster .
Old 02-25-2007, 09:07 PM
paulywannafly
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 374 Likes on 64 Posts

that turtle wax is nasty abrasive most times it just makes a dull scratchy
spot when hand rubbed .At my shop we use 3m perfectit III not very abrasive and works well with hand . lacquer paint rubs just as nice as the day it was new 20 years later
Old 02-25-2007, 09:25 PM
1970 stingray
Intermediate

Old 02-26-2007, 07:49 AM
7Deuce
Racer

Originally Posted by 1970 stingray
Yes you can use rubbing compound on lacquer paint . 3m has several varieties out there . theres perfect it 3 thats ok . i personally like the macguires diamond cut . ive used both and i like the diamond cut better . you do not want to use a heavy duty rubbing compound of any kind . you can apply the diamond cut or perfect it 3 with a wool or foam pad . wool pads are more aggressive and cut faster .
Where can I purchase these products?
Old 02-26-2007, 08:17 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

You can get 3M Perfect It Fine Cut Polishing compound at Pep Boys and stores like it. You can use it by hand but I've also had good luck with it using an orbital buffer set on high speed. It is not an agressive compound like the orange stuff we used to get in cans but I would still be careful since you don't know how thick the paint is on your car. Once you go over the car with the compound you can use 3M Swirl and Haze remover to bring up the shine even more. Use this with an orbital and you'll be surprised at the results. Read this for more info:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/vettfixr/page5.htm
Old 03-02-2007, 03:40 AM
REDC4CORVETTE
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I use a buffing wheel and be careful not to burn the paint.
I use the 3M from NAPA fine cut and polish with a wool wheel min speed.
I use Zimol to wax the finish when done twice.
The first wax I rub on and then off with a soft cloth ,the second coat I use a spray bottle with distilled water while rubbing until it dries to a shine, it works for me.

Last edited by REDC4CORVETTE; 03-02-2007 at 03:44 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Lacquer paint Q

Quick Reply: Lacquer paint Q