Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Warranty Paint Work

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 02:47 PM
ksg32198
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warranty Paint Work

I just wanted to tell everyone about a painting experience that I went through with the local chevy dealer. Let me start off by saying the dealer did the right thing and took care of me, but it took quite a bit of time to get it completed.
Back this past summer, I found that the qtr panel on the drivers side door was cracking. The car had 13k miles on it, so I took it to a friend that works at a local body shop. He looked over the entire car and found that the nose, decklid, and the rear bumper had issues too.(Crows Feet or spider webbing paint) I took it to my local chevy dealer and they said they would cover those panels under warranty. This dealer had done wonder paint work for me on a camaro, so I didnt think of the paint quality or not matching being an issue.
I got the car back and there was trash in the paint and fisheyes throughout the nose of the car. The bodyshop manager was frustrated with me because I saw those issues and knew he was going to have to redo the work. They took the car and worked on it some more, but they just wetsanded trying to smooth everything out and make it look acceptable. After 3 returns, I got the dealership manager involved and he agreed it looked like crap. He asked me to let them repaint those panels once more and give them that last chance. I did. The paint smoothness was awesome, but luckly I was picking it up during the high sunlight and I saw it and the panels didnt match. Had a bluish black door and brownish black qtr panel. Who knew there were so many freakin black colors to match. Anyway, they didnt like it either. They called the paint rep (Sikkens) in and had him try to match the black paint in which he mixed 12 gallons of paint and could match it. Chevy finally told them to paint the entire car which included removal of the bumpers, seals, doorhandles, etc. I have gone down to the dealer every 2 days to watch the progress and took pictures. I went down yesterday and they had the car painted, but it was still rough paint(not wetsanded or buffed) and it looks awesome. I will try and post some pictures for the begining to ending, but still trying to figure out how to do that.
I finally found out what was wrong with the original paint on my car. The paint was too thin. The Sikkens paint rep said that eventually the entire car would have had to been repainted because of cracking.
I will keep everyone posted on the end of this 6 month saga, but just wanted everyone to know what I went through and how persistance pays off.

Last edited by ksg32198; 03-15-2007 at 03:13 PM.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:00 PM
judge71
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to hear it worked out!! I purchased a new Chev last fall and it appears that GM has all the dealerships running scared and placing a higher priority on customer service(as it should be).

Wheres the pics
Old 03-18-2007, 06:43 PM
ksg32198
Advanced

I have pics, but I am having trouble figuring out how to post them. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:49 PM
vetteblack
Burning Brakes

WOW! Interesting story. Thats really sad they keep screwing it up and have to keep redoing it. Keep on them to make it right!

Get notified of new replies

To Warranty Paint Work

Quick Reply: Warranty Paint Work