Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

block sander recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 06:22 AM
AWilson
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Default block sander recommendations?

Can you guys recommend a good block sander brand, and sizes required for a C3?
Old 06-03-2008, 07:22 AM
lvrpool32
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Durablock do a nice kit, comes in various lengths and also includes a round one, which is good for doing the curves of the fenders etc.

http://www.innate.com/Tools/DuraBlock/dura_block.htm

Nick
Old 06-03-2008, 10:14 PM
Mark G
Melting Slicks

Received 457 Likes on 339 Posts

First and foremost, the standard 17" wood board always seems to be the most versatile sanding tool no matter what. But, you are correct, with the curves of a C3, other sanders can come in handy: I bought a long 3ft Durablock, which wasn't cheap, and it was handy to have. I think the best thing I did was I took a 2" wide x 12" long piece of 18ga sheet metal and wrapped a sheet of 100 and 180grit around it. Then I took out the steel and carefully curved it (by hand) to match the C3 fender exactly. I did this for the top of the fender, but throughout the whole process, I ended up going back to this as it fit the sides of the fender and but turning it upside down (concave) could do the fender lips if it was at an angle. I alternated with 100 grit and 180
Old 06-04-2008, 09:07 AM
porchdog
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

i make my own from scraps of hard wood and tubes from masking paper. i do have a couple of the durablocks. i like the 1 inch one. it is flexible and works well.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:56 AM
crazywelder
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by porchdog
i make my own from scraps of hard wood and tubes from masking paper. i do have a couple of the durablocks. i like the 1 inch one. it is flexible and works well.

Yep, some of the best blocks are home made. Small pieces from rubber semi-truck mud flaps work well also. There are also applications where soft and firm Durablocks are needed. A flexible plastic long board as well as a stiff one are needed also. You can have all the blocks in the world but bottom line is "practice makes perfect."

Get notified of new replies

To block sander recommendations?

Quick Reply: block sander recommendations?