Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Best compound??

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 08:34 PM
jbutta
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best compound??

looking for advice on the best compound to use after wetsanding spi universal clear with 2000 grit. also is a wool pad or foam pad better?
Old 09-10-2009, 09:54 PM
markids77
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Spit from an 18 year old virgin, and the ashes from Marlboro Reds. Followed by the wax from a 23 year old honeybee box.
Seriously though, I have had exceptional result from 3Ms "Finesse It" lineup. Search their site, or ask your local jobber.... for wax I prefer the NXT wax series. Just hope you never have to remove that stuff... it BONDS to paint!
Old 09-11-2009, 07:03 AM
jbutta
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would love to try that mixture, but it's just so hard to find an 18 year old virgin anymore. i'll have to settle for looking into the finesse.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:34 AM
porchdog
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

i use presta and cleancut. only use foam now days. for wax i use mothers pure canuba wax. it can be used as soon as it is buffed.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:06 AM
JoshVette
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

For removing sanding marks you're going to need something pretty strong.

I'm assuming you're using a rotary right?

There's a few good lines out there that offer multi levels of compounds/polishing. You will need something with heavy cut at first to remove the marks, then at least two more lesser cutting to refine the compounding you previously did so that you're not left with nasty buffer trails.

For the initial heavy cutting I would recommend a wool pad, after that however I would drop down to something with less cut like a white foam pad and after that an even lesser cutting pad.

3M is okay, also Meg's makes a few good compound and polishes in their professional line but if you have the money I would invest in some Menzerna, try the power gloss for heavy cutting, then step it down to SIP and finish it with Final Polish or Micro Polish.

Check with autogeek (forum sponsor) they should have all the answers for you.

Hope this helps some.

Josh

Get notified of new replies

To Best compound??

Quick Reply: Best compound??