Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Dry spray no flow?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 10:09 AM
93v
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dry spray no flow?

Hey guy's,can't figure out what's wrong.Iv'e tried spraying 2 times now with my devilbis starting line gun (hvlp)gravity feed.I keep having a problem trying to get enough product to flow out of the gun.When I spray the paint comes out so dry I have to hold the gun 3or4 inches from the panel and pound the paint on to get it to flow.This has happened with ss urethane and yesterday with laquer.The paint in both instances was thinned according to product specs.I have the flow opened up all the way on the gun.30 psi at the gun when trigger is pulled.I kinda think I'm not getting enough volume of air to atomize paint properly? The compressor is more than adequately sized,plenty of cfm's.I'm filtering and removing water w/ a cheap harbor freight filtering system and using the proper size hoses from comp. to filter then to gun.I have a inline regulator at the gun that has a psi gauge on it.The reason I'm thinking it's a air volume problem is I've successfully sprayed before with this gun and another gun I have on my old compressor setup.Should I try test spraying something hooked directly up to the compressor to troubleshoot the problem?
Old 06-19-2011, 10:24 AM
markids77
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take the fluid cup off and look closely at the pipe leading into the gun body. There's a plastic screen filter in there which can get plugged even if you run a lot of thinner after painting. If that's not the problem I suspect there may be a blockage elsewhere, like in the needle cavity behind the spray nozzle. If you're at all leery of disassembling the thing, seek a body pro in your area who would take it apart and rebuild it for you. Many paint supply stores offer gun reconditioning services.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:12 PM
gkz
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 93v
Hey guy's,can't figure out what's wrong.Iv'e tried spraying 2 times now with my devilbis starting line gun (hvlp)gravity feed.I keep having a problem trying to get enough product to flow out of the gun.When I spray the paint comes out so dry I have to hold the gun 3or4 inches from the panel and pound the paint on to get it to flow.This has happened with ss urethane and yesterday with laquer.The paint in both instances was thinned according to product specs.I have the flow opened up all the way on the gun.30 psi at the gun when trigger is pulled.I kinda think I'm not getting enough volume of air to atomize paint properly? The compressor is more than adequately sized,plenty of cfm's.I'm filtering and removing water w/ a cheap harbor freight filtering system and using the proper size hoses from comp. to filter then to gun.I have a inline regulator at the gun that has a psi gauge on it.The reason I'm thinking it's a air volume problem is I've successfully sprayed before with this gun and another gun I have on my old compressor setup.Should I try test spraying something hooked directly up to the compressor to troubleshoot the problem?
Thirty PSI is too much; try 22-23.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:24 PM
BLK281
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the tip size?

As markids said, it could be there is an obstruction somewhere in the body or passageway of the gun.

Could be the wrong tip size.

Could be you are not reducing the product properly.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:49 AM
93v
Racer

Thanx for the replies guy's.The tip size is 1.3.I thinned the laquer 1 part paint to 1 part thinner, medium evap.Temp. was about 80 degrees.I tried reduced pressure roughly 25 psi. it appeared to get a little better but the longer I held the trigger in it seamed like I was running out of air.That's what was making me think I'm not getting enough volume of air,the psi. holds pretty steady.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:14 AM
929nitro
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

I'm not positive but I think the DeVilbiss Starting Line and Finishline hvlp guns use the same air cap. I know my Finish Line air caps say 23psi max. Check the face of your air cap.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:38 PM
123Gone
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you check the screen filter that's within the spray gun?

Last edited by 123Gone; 06-21-2011 at 01:40 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:56 PM
markids77
Melting Slicks

If your air pressure stays even but fluid stops flowing it's not an airflow problem... it's fluid. Does the air coming out the nozzle go away as the flow dries up, or just paint volume reduction? At 80 degrees and low humidity, I would personally use a slow thinner, and possibly more than 1 to 1 reduction. If your gun checks out, invest in a hygrometer cup the next time you want to paint... it will remove all the guesswork about how to reduce your material. Your jobber will know which cup matches your topcoat and what "drain times" should be for that cup ... follow their instructon.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:27 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

it sounds to me like you need to spray test panels before you put that on your car, it also sounds like youre not getting the paint thin enough, which you would be able to adjust for your humidity and temp. if you were sprayin test panels, do you understand what I'm saying bout "TEST PANELS"
Old 06-22-2011, 09:03 PM
93v
Racer

Originally Posted by oldalaskaman
it sounds to me like you need to spray test panels before you put that on your car, it also sounds like youre not getting the paint thin enough, which you would be able to adjust for your humidity and temp. if you were sprayin test panels, do you understand what I'm saying bout "TEST PANELS"
Yes I do about test panels.I wish I would have had enough paint to spray a good test panel.My friend wanted me to spray his hood on his 63 and he only bought 1/2 pint of red laquer so I was afraid to waste too much paint trying a test panel.you are correct though.I do need to get some panels and try to work out the problems I'm having.I just hate wasting alot of good(expensive paint)but I guess thats the price to pay to get good results!
Old 06-22-2011, 09:15 PM
93v
Racer

Originally Posted by markids77
If your air pressure stays even but fluid stops flowing it's not an airflow problem... it's fluid. Does the air coming out the nozzle go away as the flow dries up, or just paint volume reduction? At 80 degrees and low humidity, I would personally use a slow thinner, and possibly more than 1 to 1 reduction. If your gun checks out, invest in a hygrometer cup the next time you want to paint... it will remove all the guesswork about how to reduce your material. Your jobber will know which cup matches your topcoat and what "drain times" should be for that cup ... follow their instructon.
After reading your reply , you said about air going away.I think your'e right its not the air its thick paint.My air pressure seems fine.I'm gonna start with a cup like you said and make sure the paint was thin enough.I'm kinda thinking it wasn't after talking to someone about this yesterday.And also I'm sure that a slower thinner at that temp. sure wouldn't hurt.thanx
Old 06-22-2011, 09:20 PM
markids77
Melting Slicks

Hope you get it sorted. Material's too expensive to waste!
Old 06-22-2011, 09:21 PM
93v
Racer

Originally Posted by 123Gone
Did you check the screen filter that's within the spray gun?

Yes I did check the screen,it wasn't cloged.I wish it was, that would have been a easy fix!
Old 06-22-2011, 09:25 PM
93v
Racer

Originally Posted by markids77
Hope you get it sorted. Material's too expensive to waste!
Sure is he paid 80.00 for 1/2 pint. He had to have it mixed to match the rest of the car.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:41 PM
93v
Racer

Originally Posted by 929nitro
I'm not positive but I think the DeVilbiss Starting Line and Finishline hvlp guns use the same air cap. I know my Finish Line air caps say 23psi max. Check the face of your air cap.
I just checked my cap,there's nothing on the cap.Does that 23psi on the cap mean max. cap pressure or inlet psi ? My owners manual for my guns(It came with a large and small touchup gun)say's 30 psi inlet pressure provides 10 psi at the cap.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:34 PM
929nitro
Melting Slicks

They are different, sorry for the confussion. Startline requires 30psi in to achieve 10 out Finishline is 23psi in to get 10 out.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:44 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

something I read on a paint forum when I was researching diy car painting was to run the compressor at 50lbs for any hvlp gun and do the gun air adjustment at the gun, that way supply air stayed constant, which is real critical in a hvlp gun. All I know is that it works, and of course.....................test panels...sorry , couldnt resist, my bad.

Get notified of new replies

To Dry spray no flow?

Old 06-26-2011, 09:50 AM
929nitro
Melting Slicks

That is how I do it 50-60 min at compressor regulator and adjust regulator entering gun as needed for product being sprayed. Right or wrong it seems to work for me.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:54 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

excellent
Old 06-27-2011, 07:36 AM
93v
Racer

Gonna try a test this weekend coming up.Just haven't had time with all the shows and autoxing going on now.Thanx guy's

Quick Reply: Dry spray no flow?