Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

True flex

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 12:16 AM
Scott1980
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default True flex

What is the current opinion(s) of using a True Flex verse fiberglass front bumper on a 1980? Planning to paint the car and believe the True Flex is best for the rear bumper. For the front bumper have received varying opinions.

The one thing appealing about the True Flex is easier repairs in the future if the nose ever gets bumped.

Supposedly fit and finish for either for the front bumper is about the same.

This will be for a DD. Opinions?
Old 10-14-2011, 08:34 PM
markids77
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If a perfect fit is required, I'd go solid glass and spend the time during paint prep to get it right. If you are expecting parking lot and speed bump encounters, a flexible bumper will absorb more hits before it shows, but the repair process is the same between flexi-glass and a solid piece, at which time the flex is gone and you're back to solid.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:49 PM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

I found the True Flex brand not to fit very well and when flexed the gelcoat cracked like crazy. I ended up throwing it away and installing an ACI bumper, very good fit and stronger bumper.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:30 PM
paulywannafly
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 374 Likes on 64 Posts

I have used a few truflex bumpers same thing over and over when they cure they look like a grapefruit loaded with air pockets on the edges Stick with rigid glass , face it if you bump into something with either you are doing paint work. imo
Old 10-19-2011, 12:14 PM
Scott1980
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was told, maybe incorrectly that the tru flex was an easy repair (bondo etc) IF something got dinged compared to the fiberglass? Before deciding which to purchase, wanted to verify quality between them (True flex cheaper) as I have seen some front bumpers that are wavy? Are those the tru flex bumpers that can be/end up being wavy or is that any (fiberglass and true flex) bumper?

Thanks!
Old 10-19-2011, 12:29 PM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

The tru flex ones are not any easier to repair than the rigid glass. The wavy bumpers may be urethane bumpers or tru flex. I'll find a pic of what happens to a tru flex when bumped or flexed.

Get notified of new replies

To True flex

Quick Reply: True flex