Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

The answer to: What spray gun should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 02:46 AM
lastcaveman
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hello, I`m new to the forum and even newer to spraying paint. I`m looking at this kit from Summit Racing.
DeVilbiss 802343 HVLP Paint Gun Kit for Primer, Color, & Clear Coat Application

1.3, 1.5, and 1.8 mm tips for multiple paint types. I have a 5hp 80 gallon tank compressor that go`s up to 150lbs pressure. will this work?
Old 11-08-2017, 04:22 PM
PainfullySlow
Burning Brakes

Received 361 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
++++PROFESSIONALLY SPEAKING****

I have shot paint with my fair share of paint guns...the old style siphon feed type and HVLP and pressure pots and so on.

And one thing is for sure...that even if you have a cheap paint gun...if a person takes the time to dial it in and gets the paint to the correct viscosity and adjusts the gun right..and
finds the correct distance from the panel and overlap.....and air pressure....chances are they outcome can be quite acceptable.

YES..a lot of the new high tech guns that are so expensive are using technology to atomize the paint better and are generally used in a high production facility where consistent paint jobs are a must....because they have also taken into account that spray booth is high dollar so the amount of trash in it is almost non existent.....thus...faster turn around times on the paint work.

SO...if you paint in an area that is really bad and trash is going to get into the paint...buying a super high dollar paint gun is kinda foolish (in my opinion)...because you are going to have to sand and buff your work..that any benefit of a gun that can lay down the clear slick as glass is not needed....but you also do not want gun that lays down the clear so 'orange-peely' that it rivals gravel guard. Which is why a person needs to shoot test panels and get the paint gun and other issues...'dialed in'.

Because the funny thing is...if a person goes out and buys a super high dollar high tech HVLP gravity feed paint gun...there is NO guarantee that it will shoot paint perfectly...it also...needs to be set up correctly.

DUB
So this brings up a very good question: since this thread is about guns themselves, what is a good 'compromise' gun for the home DIY'er knowing that we are going to have to sand and buff anyway?
Old 11-08-2017, 05:05 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Honestly I have no clue on the paint guns that are currently offered. I know about the super high dollar ones...but anything under that...I can not think of one by name.

It isn't like I go out and buy them and try them out so I can give feedback on them.

Hopefully someone will come in and give their reviews or go out and buy one and give it a try.

But keep this in mind....that there are so many variables when shooting paint for DIY'ers ( and even professionals) that taking the time to practice and KNOW your gun and KNOW your paint is important.

DUB
Old 11-09-2017, 09:02 AM
929nitro
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

I am a DIY'er and started with a DeVilbis Finish Line. I could get good results with this. With a little practice you can get some very acceptable results and after cutting and buffing it can look great. I stepped up to a DeVilibis Teckna and an Iwata LPH400 as I found myself doing more projects. I can get the same results using any of my guns but I use less product with my higher priced guns.

Quick Reply: The answer to: What spray gun should I buy?