Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Paint peeling, what did I do wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 09:20 AM
vettjam
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Paint peeling, what did I do wrong?

Trying to paint the A-arms on my 65 gloss black and the gloss black top coat is not sticking to the black epoxy primer. See photo where it is peeling off. I used Omni MP172, 2 part black epoxy primer and then Eastwood Extreme Chassis gloss black. There was about a week between shooting the primer and the top coat. Used a HVLP gun.

Looks like I will need to sandblast again and reprimer and top coat unless someone can tell me how to save what I have. Also need advise on filling pits in the A-arms. The gloss black shows up every little pit. I have my frame primered in the same epoxy and don't want to repeat my mistake.

Thanks for your help.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:47 AM
porchdog
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

they are both very low quality resins. waiting a week is far too long for them to bond. if you are going to use these i would suggest an overnight cure on the epoxy then top coat.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:19 PM
crazywelder
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by porchdog
they are both very low quality resins. .

It also appears you didn't follow Eastwoods directions by using a different primer. From the product directions;Test for compatibility if not using over Extreme
Chassis Black® Primer.

According to your photo, the Chassis black is not adhering to the Omni Primer. So there is a compatibility issue and/or a surface contamination issue. I would give those products away and use higher quality materials.

I would do the following if powder coat is not an alternative.
Strip the parts again.
Assemble the bushings/shafts and the ball joints so you don't damage anything after paint.
Clean with wax and grease remover and blow dry.
Mask off the ball joints and bushing ends.
Scrub the arms with Metal Conditioner and a red Scotchbrite pad (this is only if you use PPG DPLF Epoxy Primer, Metal Conditioner is not compatible with SPI or some other Epoxies) and blow dry everything.
Don't touch anything with towels or bare hands and shoot 2 coats of PPG DPLF immediately after drying.
After 24 hours you can fill the pits with a 2 part putty and sand.
Shoot one coat of DPLF within 7 days of original primer and if it looks good, spray with 2 coats of PPG Deltron single stage black.
This will be a much more durable and attractive surface.

Get notified of new replies

To Paint peeling, what did I do wrong?

Quick Reply: Paint peeling, what did I do wrong?