Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Help paint blown onto my car in the wind

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 04:44 PM
The Director
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Help paint blown onto my car in the wind

I work at the airport. A contract company came and spray painted a water tower on a windy day. Now me and 30 other people have little white paint specs on our cars even though we were parked 2000 feet away. Neither Zaino nor rubbing compound will take this off. What do we do now?

Old 03-16-2019, 04:48 PM
wadenelson
Burning Brakes

Received 332 Likes on 199 Posts

Hire an attorney.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:12 AM
JBL Specialty
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Most of the paint used to paint outside structures is self etching. It may polish off but will leave craters. Contact the owners of the water tower and show them your car . They have insurance to cover damage.
Old 03-17-2019, 02:29 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by wadenelson
Hire an attorney.

But in the meantime, I'd suggest trying a claybar and a LOT of detailing spray, as quickly as you can. However, I personally think you might be in a bit of a bind. If, as "JBL Specialty" says, that the paint is self etching, and it's ruined your car's paint, the only remedy will be a complete strip and repaint. Where the problem comes in, as we all know, a "proper" job will run around $10G, maybe even more. Assuming the contractor's insurance assumes responsibility, they may just "total" your car, and stick you with "book value" for it.

What year is your car, and how many miles are on it?
Old 03-17-2019, 05:57 PM
The Director
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4

But in the meantime, I'd suggest trying a claybar and a LOT of detailing spray, as quickly as you can. However, I personally think you might be in a bit of a bind. If, as "JBL Specialty" says, that the paint is self etching, and it's ruined your car's paint, the only remedy will be a complete strip and repaint. Where the problem comes in, as we all know, a "proper" job will run around $10G, maybe even more. Assuming the contractor's insurance assumes responsibility, they may just "total" your car, and stick you with "book value" for it.

What year is your car, and how many miles are on it?
2018 Maxima Platinum with 12,000 miles.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:24 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by The Director
2018 Maxima Platinum with 12,000 miles.
Still worth some $$, but unless the paint can be "fixed", it could be close. I'd document it with lots of pictures, keep it out of the sun, and go after it with clay....the longer the "foreign paint sits, the harder it will be to remove.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:31 PM
JBL Specialty
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I had first hand experience with this. In 1981 I worked in a body shop near a concrete plant. They had a company come and spray it with yellow paint. Don Beyer Volvo in Falls Church Va. was about 1000 feet away and all of their new cars were covered in yellow overspray . The paint had etched every molding and the paint on all of their new cars. The insurance company paid a fortune and the dealer was selling them as is at a 6-7 k discount. No way would I settle for a repaint on a 2018 car.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:39 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JBL Specialty
I had first hand experience with this. In 1981 I worked in a body shop near a concrete plant. They had a company come and spray it with yellow paint. Don Beyer Volvo in Falls Church Va. was about 1000 feet away and all of their new cars were covered in yellow overspray . The paint had etched every molding and the paint on all of their new cars. The insurance company paid a fortune and the dealer was selling them as is at a 6-7 k discount. No way would I settle for a repaint on a 2018 car.
I fully understand, but what would "The Director's" options be? If the car had a couple hundred miles on it, I think that he could legitimately argue for replacement, with a brand new car. But in his case, his Maxima is pretty much a 1 year old, used car, that has depreciated somewhat, so I would assume that if the paint can't be "corrected", to a "like new condition", the only recourse would be to total out the car. And that isn't really fair to the owner of the car.

I went through something somewhat similar, a couple of years ago. My wife was sitting at a red light, in our 4 year old, never driven in winter, hardly driven in rain, pristine condition, 12,000 mile Jaguar XJ. Some geriatric geezer didn't see either the red traffic signal above, or the Jag's 3 illuminated tail lights, and plowed into her, which in turn, shoved her into the car in front of her. Long story short, the car was totaled, and we were out a beautiful car. Sure the geezer's insurance paid us, but when you lose such a well maintained vehicle, one that you didn't plan of trading off anytime in the near future, it's a serious financial hit. We certainly couldn't find another 2012 EXACTLY like we had (color, equipment, condition, etc), so we were forced to either just take the check and stick it in the bank, and forget about the car, or "pony up" for a new one. This is what we wound up doing, but it certainly was a financial hit to us, and due to some specification changes that were made by Jaguar, in all honesty, I don't like the replacement car as well as I liked the original one....

Yeah, I know, "first-world problems".
Old 03-20-2019, 08:35 AM
csherman
Le Mans Master

Received 1,436 Likes on 738 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Clay bar first
Also try a product called Grafitti off - try a small spot
If that does not work
The moldings may need replaced and the entire car wet sanded and buffed
if the clear is "etched" and pock marked - the car will need a repaint
Insurance will cover it - happens all the time
Insurance will cover the damage caused

Last edited by csherman; 03-20-2019 at 08:36 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Help paint blown onto my car in the wind

Quick Reply: Help paint blown onto my car in the wind