Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Perfectionists, what would YOU do in this situation?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2022, 11:07 PM
VetteNoob91
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Perfectionists, what would YOU do in this situation?

Hi everyone,

Bought this shiny red corvette 2 days ago. After 9 hours of driving back, I was hit 5 minutes from home by a van pulling a trailer that was all over the road. Hit the median on the left rear quarter panel when I tried to avoid him (wet and my traction control/ abs lights were on) and hit the back of his trailer on the correction down the entire passenger side, including the right rocker panel (not pictured) The car did a 180 and I never caught his plates as his fled the scene. Needless to say I am mortified.

I believe I need to replace the rack and pinion to get this vehicle in working order. After that, I want to get to work on making it look perfect again. I imagine I will need to replace some of the panels, but I hope to salvage whatever I can. I am considering doing a full repaint because I cannot stand paint that doesn't match. I am experienced in paint correction but this clearly will not "buff out". So, perfectionists of this forum, what would YOU do?

Old 05-27-2022, 11:28 AM
Jud Chapin
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 417 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Really sorry to hear this. What a bummer, especially since just purchasing the car. As they say though, it could always been worse. I assume you had no injuries.

As far as the damage, I think you've answered your own question as you want perfection. That what call for repainting the car. Actually it appears most panels are showing damage.

Hopefully you had/have insurance to handle the cost.

Best of luck with the work and the Vette once finished.

Last edited by Jud Chapin; 05-27-2022 at 11:58 AM.
Old 05-27-2022, 12:29 PM
VetteNoob91
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jud Chapin
Really sorry to hear this. What a bummer, especially since just purchasing the car. As they say though, it could always been worse. I assume you had no injuries.

As far as the damage, I think you've answered your own question as you want perfection. That what call for repainting the car. Actually it appears most panels are showing damage.

Hopefully you had/have insurance to handle the cost.

Best of luck with the work and the Vette once finished.
Unfortunately going through insurance is not an option. While I always drive with it. My deductible is huge and if I make a claim I'm fairly certain I'll be all but uninsurable. Looks like I've got a project on my hands.
Old 07-16-2022, 02:57 PM
CorvetteMike2024
Corvette Junkie
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,026 Likes on 839 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Regarding the exterior panels they just look like surface damage. Hard to tell with pics. They should be an easy fix. Repair the damage and repaint. It could have been worse. Sorry to hear about your accident.
Old 09-25-2022, 02:13 PM
Crider
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 66 Posts

Man that really does suck. But it could be worse. I had a Dodge van cut over into my C5 and clip the 1/4. Spun me out and car went halfway under the guardrail

Old 10-09-2022, 04:25 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I would replace the quarters if the glass damage is completely through the panel and go from there. Luckily these panels are easily found,replaced. I'd get the car road worthy and then start looking for parts.
Old 10-11-2022, 12:23 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by Crider
Man that really does suck. But it could be worse. I had a Dodge van cut over into my C5 and clip the 1/4. Spun me out and car went halfway under the guardrail

Hope you're OK, and I feel for you, trying to get any kind of "financial justice" for this wreck, which you didn't cause, will be a royal PITA.
Old 11-11-2022, 06:06 PM
TCW
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 245 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-13,'16-'17, '19

In this day and age, matching paint color is a no brainer for good shops. They have a machine that will produce a paint mixture to match the color of the car, no matter how old and faded the car is,

Tom

Get notified of new replies

To Perfectionists, what would YOU do in this situation?

Quick Reply: Perfectionists, what would YOU do in this situation?