Performance Results Dyno sheets, Timeslips, Track Records, Who has the Fastest C5 Corvette?

is 65k original miles to old to start putting power adders on?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 02:31 PM
OUTTATIME
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is 65k original miles to old to start putting power adders on?

Hi Corvette enthusiasts,
l am new to the forum. Just bought my 2002 c5 in the end of feb. and my tax return came back! time for more power! (ps how do l post pictures?) she is a stock 6 speed hatchback so not sure if its even a good idea to add power to a removable top chassis. 2 of the hotrod shops l spoke to suggest l just supercharge and be done, but l kinda dont like the wine sound they make and also l want n/a power. the kit including install will be 9k dollars! much more than if l did a cam, heads, intake and pcm tune. what do you suggest?
Old 07-15-2019, 02:01 PM
evileight
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

I would suggest the blower, cam, heads, and exhaust! Do what YOU want and what your budget allows. The blower is fun and you will be able to make more power. 500whp with a Si/T trim charger will be easy, 500whp na is gonna be much harder. One thing to think about is if your worried about the age of the motor doing the heads/cam setup you will be replacing a ton of stuff anyways and will be able to replace many small things while your at it. Then do the blower later and make 700+ whp!
Old 07-15-2019, 08:34 PM
RockyMtC5
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by evileight
I would suggest the blower, cam, heads, and exhaust! Do what YOU want and what your budget allows. The blower is fun and you will be able to make more power. 500whp with a Si/T trim charger will be easy, 500whp na is gonna be much harder. One thing to think about is if your worried about the age of the motor doing the heads/cam setup you will be replacing a ton of stuff anyways and will be able to replace many small things while your at it. Then do the blower later and make 700+ whp!
I agree..... because this is exactly what I ended up doing! Wanted heads and cam and got it and then wanted more
Old 07-15-2019, 11:11 PM
493lszosix
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 104 Posts

What kind of power are you looking to make n/a? Budget? Another thing to think about is your going to have to upgrade the clutch once you start adding power
Old 07-16-2019, 03:52 PM
INSTIG8R
Racer

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

Also, no reason to pay $9,000 for a blower installed. Several vendors and other shops around the country are doing them for considerably less. Just need to be willing to make a little drive sometimes
Old 08-24-2019, 08:41 AM
whatyacallit
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

65k on a LS motor is just breaking it in. Now is the perfect time to start punishing it! Choose your poison and have some fun.
The following users liked this post:
123sugey (09-03-2019)
Old 08-24-2019, 04:19 PM
C5 Kirkland
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by OUTTATIME
Hi Corvette enthusiasts,
l am new to the forum. Just bought my 2002 c5 in the end of feb. and my tax return came back! time for more power! (ps how do l post pictures?) she is a stock 6 speed hatchback so not sure if its even a good idea to add power to a removable top chassis. (Yes, it is) 2 of the hotrod shops l spoke to suggest l just supercharge and be done (Start reading this and other corvette forums, watch youtube, gain knowledge. There is no such thing as 'being done'), but l kinda dont like the wine sound they make and also l want n/a power (N/A power can be done by heads/cam/intake upgrade, or swap out for a fully built 427). the kit including install will be 9k dollars! (but you don't like the sound of a S/C, so moot point) much more than if l did a cam, heads, intake and pcm tune. what do you suggest?
And to answer your title, there is no mileage indicator as to when to not add power. LS motors are built to last, and built to withstand HP increases.
Old 10-30-2019, 06:27 PM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

Received 809 Likes on 533 Posts

i put my blower on at 45k. i turned it up at 51k (still stock stuff). at 74k, added top end & turned it up again.
cammed my truck with 189k on the motor

Get notified of new replies

To is 65k original miles to old to start putting power adders on?

Quick Reply: is 65k original miles to old to start putting power adders on?